★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: SolarStrike is a challenging space shooter multi-touch arcade with RPG elements. You are a pilot of a spaceship on a rescue mission and you are forced to fight an unknown force in asteroid fields, space platforms, unknown alien bases.

No game overs! Infinite continues and level restarts, but the levels are not so easy and would be interesting even for very skilled players.

GAME FEATURES:

* Detailed game plot. Introduction slides, story slides before each level.

* Ship upgrades system: 9 different weapon types, 2 ability types, different ship structure types, armor upgrades.

* 13 enemy types.

* Different fighting scenarios and situations.

* 5 bosses.

* 7 challenging levels.

* Epic music tracks for each level.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

11-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Graphics look nice. Nothing is said about the controls though. If the two buttons on the bottom left are the controls, then the ship can only move horizontally. That would be very unfortunate. I would be happy to TOFTT but need to have the control method clarified. That would be a deal breaker. I e-mailed the devs with a question and an invitation to join us here.

11-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugekava View Post
Graphics look nice. Nothing is said about the controls though. If the two buttons on the bottom left are the controls, then the ship can only move horizontally. That would be very unfortunate. I would be happy to TOFTT but need to have the control method clarified. That would be a deal breaker. I e-mailed the devs with a question and an invitation to join us here.

Hi!

I'm the member of the SolarStrike development team. Actually, the concept of the game implies only horizontal scrolling, because it's not a standard fly up'n'shoot game, it has a bit different battle system (enemies on the top, your ship on the bottom of the screen and obstacles in the center). Of course, here you fly up sometimes, but this is done to change the fighting location.

So it's just a bit different game, it's not that you fly up and shoot your enemies. If it was like that, then yes - it would be great to move up and down. But here you have a specific combat area structure, that implies horizontal scrolling only, this is done on purpose. And this makes the game a bit hard sometimes, because you have to take this into account.

You could look at the small embedded video at our site - http://witechno.com/ -> Products -> SolarStrike. There you can see a small trailer with video captures from the iPhone and you'll see the battle system and some gaming aspects.

So,I'd be very happy if you try our game, despite the fact that the controls are horizontal, because this is a concept, this is done on purpose.
11-18-2009, 01:16 AM
This game also has some non-standard aspects, like the specific weapon reload system (I've got some comments on that), and the vertical movement between locations. But that actually made the game different and that created some situations, that make the game more challenging and makes you think "How am I supposed to do that?" often.

For example, the 'only horizontal' movement system forces the player to look at the obstacles positions before you kill the enemy (because in some cases you won't be able to avoid collision and death of your ship). There is such a tricky place in the second level for example.
11-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Thanks, Dmitry.
Ok, I'll TOFTT. I am a sucker for shmups. Will be back shortly with impressions.
11-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugekava View Post
Thanks, Dmitry.
Ok, I'll TOFTT. I am a sucker for shmups. Will be back shortly with impressions.
Thanks! I'd be glad to hear some comments and improve the game!
11-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Oh no. Its only compatible with iPhone. I have iPod Touch. Does this game have some features that make it compatible with iPhone only?
I hope that someone with an iPhone can TOFTT for the sake of iPhone owners, because the game looks quite good. It would be even better if the devs made this game compatible with iPod Touches.

Last edited by eugekava; 11-18-2009 at 01:40 AM.
11-18-2009, 10:32 AM
We're going to finish testing on the iPod in a couple of days, so it will be available for the iPod soon!
11-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Is there an option for touch control ?

Last edited by cranker; 11-18-2009 at 10:46 AM.
11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranker View Post
Is t herer an option for touch control ?
If you are asking about the 'accelerometer\touch control': this game has touch control only. It would be unreal to control using the accelerometer. Well, I mean, technically, it can be done easily, but playing this using an accelerometer is hell