★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Pocketball is an exciting and unique physics puzzle game where your goal is to guide the colored balls into their pockets. By drawing ropes between pegs, you navigate the balls around boosters, gravity wells, pesky nukes and more. Be challenged by 35 stages of increasing difficulty or try to see how many solutions you can find for a single stage. Conquer all 35 stages to unlock even more!

Rewarding, addictive and fun, Pocketball works great on any iPhone or iPod Touch.

"Pocketball offers up a tremendous level of challenge in an 'easy to learn but impossible to master' puzzler."
-- Jim Squires, Touch Arcade

"...developed with such thought and care that the game just dazzles."
-- AppSmile

Watch a preview at http://pocketballapp.com/

Features:
Auto-saves so that returning to a game feels like you never left.
Want to start over? Simply shake to remove all ropes and try again.
Full stereo sound.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up

11-17-2009, 02:27 PM
looks interesting! Anyone want to try it?

11-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
looks interesting! Anyone want to try it?
I think the question is more, Anyone want to buy it?
11-18-2009, 11:28 AM
I bought it yesterday and played about 6 puzzles before going to bed. It's not a lot, but enough to say it's a great game. Very polished. I'm really enjoying it...

If you like puzzles, try it. This is a hidden gem!
11-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Anybody else have impressions on this game? Video looks great!!

OF = Heffdog116
Plus+ = Heffman21 Add me
GameCenter = JerryIsAlive
11-20-2009, 03:45 PM
I've only played 13 levels, but I have to say it is pretty sweet.

I loved the incredible machine when it came out, and I loved that one game where you have to send the colored lasers through mirrors and lenses to get them to their destination.
This is basically a mixture of both. The looks are simple but polished as you can see in the screens for yourself, the puzzles can be surprisingly hard and it is very satisfying to solve one you've been skipping over for some time. I get the impression that the difficulty increase is not linear but it spikes every few levels, providing me with a level I have to skip and meditate about later on. Ragdoll blaster does the same for me.

I particularly like the choice made by the developer that you unlock levels in chunks, so while you can progress somewhat beyond the level you've currently skipped you will be forced to come back to it eventually to unlock a new 3 or 4 level block.

Another great thing (and this may sound cheesy) is that even though it is physics based I can play it lying in bed because it doesn't rely on the accelerometer. I will often play a quick few levels of one of my iPhone games before falling asleep and this is a great candidate
11-20-2009, 04:32 PM
After advancing to level 20 and spending some more time in it I have noticed two drawbacks:

1) switching between line drawing and deleting mode gets annoying. the double tap as a gesture alone would have been enough I think

2) after returning from a call that I got mid-game it had no more sound and eventually froze
11-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffdog116 View Post
Anybody else have impressions on this game? Video looks great!!
Yeah, it's really clever. The physics are spot-on and the rubber-banding effect is nice. The sound effects are really simple, but effective. The solutions are oftentimes non-obvious and present an interesting challenge, as long as you aren't someone that will resort to just trying random combinations (although that might still be difficult). Definitely a good game.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
11-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Really awesome game. The stereo sound was a really surprising touch, too. Try it with headphones!

I agree that switching to delete mode and back can be tedious. Also agree that a regular double-tap would serve just fine. Still, that's a minor gripe. This is a really solid, polished game.
11-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben! View Post
Really awesome game. The stereo sound was a really surprising touch, too. Try it with headphones!

I agree that switching to delete mode and back can be tedious. Also agree that a regular double-tap would serve just fine. Still, that's a minor gripe. This is a really solid, polished game.
I agree too, either just double tap, or switch to delete then a single tap.

I love how the game keeps progress of what you've done, even leaving the solution up after passing a level. It gives the game a kind of realistic feel to it, as though you're really attaching elastic to pegs on a block of wood, able to come back to it at any time and the fruits of your labor are still visible. Having to pause and save or quit to a main menu only reminds you that it's a computer game you're playing, but this... this feels like a real physical toy sitting right behind the glass of your iPhone. Immersion ftfw.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Last edited by MidianGTX; 11-21-2009 at 07:04 PM.