★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Table Tennis Star

01-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Table Tennis Star

Table Tennis Star App Store link

$1.99
• choose from 12 characters, amongst best players in Europe, China, and USA
• 3 Gameplay modes: Quick Start, Challenge, Turbo

Cf iPingPong 3D $0.99 (forum)

Youtube link | Pop Up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TTstar.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	578   Click image for larger version

Name:	TTstar2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	579   Click image for larger version

Name:	TTstar3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	580  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TTstar4.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	581  

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."

Last edited by salsamd; 01-10-2009 at 11:47 AM.
01-04-2009, 11:16 PM
too bad it's not available for iTouch 1g.

01-04-2009, 11:41 PM
After reading a PocketGamer review of what it looks like the same game, but for another device, I've decided to purchased it. Here's my first impression:

FEATURES
- Options: Skill Level (Normal and Turbo) and language
- Basic shot: just move the bat
- Serving: select a position and press Serve button but you can tweak it e.g. adding spin or stepping back a little
- Direction and spin: can be done with a finger movement after the ball touches your bat (game Help explains all shot types including Smash)
- Quick Match: just 2 players are available from the beginning so you have to unlock the others probably in Challenge mode
- As far as I could notice no tilting, just tapping

PROS
- Nice and smooth graphics
- Nice sounds including subtle background ones while you're playing
- Replay (nice touch)
- Well balanced: Normal skill level is a nice start (sometimes I have a feeling that the CPU helps me a bit, but just a little and in a good way); Turbo requires more practice because things get faster and spin plus speed seem more frequent (I could not feel any CPU help, I just miss it here )
- You can continue a Challenge later

CONS
- No statistics for Quick Play mode
- No career mode (it would be awesome here!)

CONCLUSION

The game feels and plays right. It's well balanced in Normal mode. It's fun to play (yes sometimes I just laugh). It has a nice production and it looks like an iPhone game rather than just a poor port. For the price it's a 5/5 game. Recommended.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
01-05-2009, 12:00 AM
"Since we're here to criticise, we'll point out that the relative paucity of game modes and the lack of wireless multiplayer is a niggle. The virtual competition is charismatic and wily enough that confinement to single-player is no hardship, but the sheer excellence of the gameplay makes the omission of multiplayer too irksome to ignore."

Pity that since it has been around as a cell phone game since Nov 2007 they would not have integrated WIFi multiplayer by now.

창의력
01-05-2009, 12:02 AM
I bought it before I saw the other $.99 game, and I really like it. The controls are really good, although it seems to help you by sometimes moving your bat closer to where you need to be to hit a shot. You start off with two characters unlocked, and have to play challenge mode to unlock more. I would also liked to have seen some statistical tracking, and maybe multiplayer. All in all, it plays great, and I can see myself losing lots of time to it. That being said, I did notice iPingPong 3d, which is cheaper, and has the developer here on the forums soliciting advice. This game was published by THQ, so I doubt we will see any devs interacting here.

Last edited by Broward; 01-05-2009 at 12:28 AM.
01-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Send a message via MSN to firstprime
awww, i bought ipingpong3d a while ago and this looks so much better
oh wel ill probably end up getting this aswell anyway
01-05-2009, 02:57 PM
I'd been debating whether to go for the other ping-pong 3D game, but the negative reviews put me off a bit. However, if the developer is checking in here and soliciting opinions, future updates could make that better

So far, for $1.99, this Table Tennis Star game seems fun and well-polished, but it could do with a few more options perhaps, like a career mode or multiplayer. Plays nicely though with the spin options, but you have to be pretty subtle with your finger movements or you'll block your view!
01-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Well, I have encountered an interesting problem. My iphone/iTunes no longer recognizes that I purchased this game. The icon is still on my phone, but whenever I launch it, it crashes after the splash screen. Has any one experienced this? I really like this game, but I am against buying it twice on principle. Hell, the app even has my review still on it! App store bug perhaps?
01-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broward View Post
Well, I have encountered an interesting problem. My iphone/iTunes no longer recognizes that I purchased this game. The icon is still on my phone, but whenever I launch it, it crashes after the splash screen. Has any one experienced this? I really like this game, but I am against buying it twice on principle. Hell, the app even has my review still on it! App store bug perhaps?
It is still in your itunes library. Have you tried deleting it from your phone and re-installing? itunes should always recognize that you purchased it even if you delete it from the itunes library.

창의력
01-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broward View Post
Same here.

But it's working again after deleting and reinstalling it via iTunes.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8