★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ZANSHIN is a martial arts strategic combat app. Fight in 1 player mode against the CPU or against a friend in 2 player mode over Bluetooth.
It has been featured both on the worldwide iTunes (PC/Mac) App Store's GAMES->WHAT'S HOT list and the App Store's HOT NEW GAMES list in December!!
=====================================
WHAT REVIEWS ARE SAYING:

nodpad.com: "Gameplay: The effort the developers put into this game is quite noticeable.""realism in a fighting game is necessary to attract someone, and Zanshin is full of it. It's probably the best and most realistic martial arts tournament combat game I've ever seen"

LuthienT: "I am very impressed with this game. I love that it is accessible to a newby but allows for much more advanced play as you gain skill. This is a lot of game for the money."

kung_fool: "I've been waiting for a simulation-style martial arts game on the iPhone, and among the sea of sound-boards and 8-bit arcade clones, only Zanshin scratches that itch."
Upcoming ZANSHIN Version 1.2 will be a big update. Some enhancements include: new fight moves, new backgrounds, new audio, updated controls, new mini games, new gameplay mode options, and a couple of surprises.

Welcome to ZANSHIN - a new martial arts strategic combat app for the iPhone and iPod Touch!! In the game, players must train and compete to prove their skill, knowledge and mastery of the martial arts. Fight in the dojo or around the countryside settings to see who the best is. Are you ready?

Features:
- Colorful Graphics and Deep Gameplay Mechanics
- 27 Unique Directional and Combat Moves to MOVE, EVADE, ATTACK and BLOCK
- Take on a Friend in Two Player Mode (over Bluetooth)!!!
- Play against the AI in Single Player Mode!!!
- Three (3) gameplay modes: Tournament, Free Play, and Marathon (Survival)
- 6 Different Control Configurations (Beginner to Expert) for gradually learning gameplay and strategy
- Personalized Controller Configuration exclusively for FL (Expert) Game Controllers
- Personalized Sound Effects (Taunts and fighting sounds)
- Practice Screen
- Three (3) levels of A.I. difficulty - Easy, Medium, Hard
- Use strategy to defeat your opponent. There is a counter to any favorite move.
- Included in-app QUICKPLAY instructions
- Detailed instructions are at: www.e4csolutions.com/zanshin

Important Info:
- Players may compete in single player mode (against the A.I.) or in two player mode with a friend (via Bluetooth) in point style or free style competitions. Single players may also compete against an unlimited number of opponents in Marathon Mode to see how long they can last without succumbing to a hit. Two player gaming IS CURRENTLY NOT SUPPORTED ON FIRST GENERATION iPHONE and iPOD TOUCHES. IT IS SUPPORTED ON ALL OTHERS.
- Six (6) different controller configurations can be used to play the game. Beginning and intermediate players can use the EZ and LT versions of the D-Pad Buttons or Swipes controls to fight with a small but highly effective set of 8 directional and attack moves. Advanced players will use the D-Pad Buttons FL (FULL) or Swipes FL (FULL) controls to access the complete set of twenty-five (25) directional and attack moves. The FL (FULL) controls allows re-mapping of control gestures to preferred attack moves. WHEN FIRST INSTALLED, THE CONTROLS ARE SET TO THE BUTTONS EZ CONTROLLER!! Decide on your controller of choice!!
- Personalized audio is NOT SUPPORTED ON FIRST GENERATION iPHONE and iPOD TOUCHES. IT IS SUPPORTED ON ALL OTHERS.
11-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Martial Arts Combat App "ZANSHIN" is out!!

Just wanted to drop a line that our new game ZANSHIN was released 11/16.

Here is the game description from iTunes:

Welcome to ZANSHIN - the newest martial arts strategic combat app for the iPhone and iPod Touch!! Zanshin (zhan-shin) translates to post-action minda state of mind one must have of continued awareness after a technique has been executed. It is an underlying concept that is universal in the martial arts regardless of origin. It describes a way each practitioner must behave during combat in order to achieve victory.

In the game, players must train and compete to prove their skill, knowledge and mastery of the martial arts. Fight in the dojo or around the countryside settings to see who the best is. Are you ready?

Features:
- Colorful Graphics and Deep Gameplay Mechanics
- 25 Unique Directional and Combat Moves to MOVE, EVADE, ATTACK and BLOCK
- Take on a Friend in Two Player Mode (over Bluetooth)!!!
- Play against the AI in Single Player Mode!!!
- Three (3) gameplay modes: Tournament, Free Play, and Marathon (Survival)
- 6 Different Control Configurations (Beginner to Expert) for gradually learning gameplay and strategy
- User Customizable Controller Configuration exclusively for FL (Expert) Game Controllers
- User Customizable Sound Effects (Add/modify Taunts and Fighting sound effects for your character)
- Practice Screen to learn the controls effectively
- Three (3) levels of difficulty - Easy, Medium, Hard
- Use strategy to defeat your opponent. There is a counter to any favorite move.
- Included QUICKPLAY instructions so you won't have to go to read the full instructions to begin. Detailed instructions are at: www.e4csolutions.com/zanshin

Important Info:
- In Zanshin, players may compete in single player mode (against the A.I.) or in two player mode with a friend (via Bluetooth) in point style or free style competitions. Single players may also compete against an unlimited number of opponents in Marathon Mode to see how long they can last without succumbing to a hit. Two player gaming IS CURRENTLY NOT SUPPORTED ON FIRST GENERATION iPHONE and iPOD TOUCHES. IT IS SUPPORTED ON ALL OTHERS.
- Six (6) different controller configurations can be used to play the game. Beginning and intermediate players can use the EZ and LT versions of the D-Pad Buttons or Swipes controls to fight with a small but highly effective set of 8 directional and attack moves. Advanced players will use the D-Pad Buttons FL (FULL) or Swipes FL (FULL) controls to access the complete set of twenty-five (25) directional and attack moves. The FL (FULL) controls allows re-mapping of control gestures to preferred attack moves. WHEN FIRST INSTALLED, THE CONTROLS ARE SET TO THE BUTTONS EZ CONTROLLER!!
- Sound effects for each character can be customized for a more personal playing experience. Custom audio is NOT SUPPORTED ON FIRST GENERATION iPHONE and iPOD TOUCHES. IT IS SUPPORTED ON ALL OTHERS.
- Quickplay instructions can be found by pressing the "Help" button on the lower right corner of the main title screen. Detailed instructions can be found on http://www.e4csolutions.com/zanshin.

11-24-2009, 11:43 AM
wow I can't believe I missed this when it came out - this reminds me of that old arcade game Karate Champ - I loved that game! And I can't believe no one's tried it/posted anything about it!
11-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I downloaded this, not long after it came out. I'm not much for the tournament style point one kick or punch set up, but the game is actually pretty nice. Personally, I prefer continuous combat style games. The animation of the techniques are executed quite nicely. Sound and graphics are decent. In an update, I would like to see the following: an option for continuous combat matches, more opponents with various skill levels, maybe weaponry and option for blood effects. I don't know if it's just my ipod, but the training mode isn't working. It seems to freeze up, and yes I did restart my device, after downloading. Overall, this is a pretty decent start. Looking forward to future updates/ improvements.
11-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Looks very interesting & great price. I'll ck it out

This looks very cool. I love fighting and martial arts fighting games on the iPhone.

$0.99 is a great price, I'll d/l it and check it out.

I'm surprised I didn't hear of this earlier either.

I'm curious what squarezero thinks as well. He was very active in helping the dev with Samurai: Way of the warrior" (a great game) and other fighting games as well. I trust and follow his advice too; we seem yo like the same games.

I'll check it out and post my thoughts.
11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
We'll be adding to the app as time goes on. To answer your question about continuous combat matches (I assume you mean similar to SF, VF, DOA?), we are looking into it as an option for a future release. Right now, there's a "Free Play" mode in ZANSHIN version 1.0 that is the closest thing we've got to continuous combat. When someone gets hit, the fighter falls, then gets back up, and fighting resumes quickly. No referee to get in the way like in Tournament mode. We may add in future releases a "stagger" when getting hit by something like a jab or light kick. That way certain attacks may/may not cause a short knockdown. We're gonna look into standard damage bars as well.

Under "1-Player", there's an icon for "Match Options" where you can set AI difficulty to: Easy, Medium, and Hard. The hard version will give you a good fight. But, as with any AI, it cannot adjust to all strategies. The "2-Player" mode with a friend is there to give you a great fight.

The tournament mode will always be a limited "classic" mode. It will always be hand-to-hand tournament combat with legit fight moves (more of those to come in future releases) supervised by a referee.

FREE PLAY mode, however, will constantly evolve. Particular weapons (not all conventional), some things new (a few things you've probably never seen in a fighting game), and some things old (a few homages). Version 1.1 will pay homage to a famous fighting move as well as minor gameplay tweaks (will be sent to Apple for review by early next week).

We're always looking to improve what we've got and we enjoy all the great feedback we can get. We would like to hear everyone's comments. Thanks again and we will be checking back regularly on the forum.
11-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato g View Post
I downloaded this, not long after it came out. I'm not much for the tournament style point one kick or punch set up, but the game is actually pretty nice. Personally, I prefer continuous combat style games. The animation of the techniques are executed quite nicely. Sound and graphics are decent. In an update, I would like to see the following: an option for continuous combat matches, more opponents with various skill levels, maybe weaponry and option for blood effects. I don't know if it's just my ipod, but the training mode isn't working. It seems to freeze up, and yes I did restart my device, after downloading. Overall, this is a pretty decent start. Looking forward to future updates/ improvements.
Did you try the Free Play mode (under 1 player)? fighting doesn't stop when you hit the opponent, and instead of a 2 point system, it's time based with you trying to score as many points as possible. In fact you have to be careful when you hit your opponent, because he gets back up and often counterattacks immediately.

This is a great game. If you liked the arcade game Karate Champ from the 80s or the Com64 game International Karate Championship (or whatever it was called), you'll love this - it's just like those, but of course with updated graphics and sound. Even the controls are very similar - in fact there are a number of different control options - beginner, intermediate, and advanced (control system, not AI difficulty level) as well as thumbpad and swipe for each level. There is also a good number of moves - probably around 20 in all.

Only complaint I have is some of the wait times - initial load time is around 20 secs on my 3G, and then before fighting starts, while points are awarded, and after fights, there are pauses between the animations and announcements. If those pauses were removed, the game would feel more fluid - it doesn't affect the gameplay itself, just the periods before and after fighting.

I'd love to see things like authentic weapons in future updates. There was a game for the Amiga that I used to love (and now I have on my PSP) called Budokan. It had different weapon styles you could train in and a large number of moves like this game. It would be great to see something like that in here! I think strato's idea of multiple opponents is an interesting one, but not sure how well that would work in this type of fighting game. I think it could just get cheesy/frustrating, because gameplay here is more about deliberate moves, precisely timed, not a flurry of moves you often end up doing in games like Street Fighter. And I don't agree with the addition of blood - this isn't a beat em up style game - it's a Karate tournament fighting game with scoring and realistic moves. Blood isn't drawn that often in real martial arts tournaments - it's more about technique and skill than about brutality.

Last edited by Artfoundry; 11-24-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: corrected practice -> free play
11-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e4csolutions View Post
We'll be adding to the app as time goes on. To answer your question about continuous combat matches (I assume you mean similar to SF, VF, DOA?), we are looking into it as an option for a future release. Right now, there's a "Free Play" mode in ZANSHIN version 1.0 that is the closest thing we've got to continuous combat. When someone gets hit, the fighter falls, then gets back up, and fighting resumes quickly. No referee to get in the way like in Tournament mode. We may add in future releases a "stagger" when getting hit by something like a jab or light kick. That way certain attacks may/may not cause a short knockdown. We're gonna look into standard damage bars as well.

Under "1-Player", there's an icon for "Match Options" where you can set AI difficulty to: Easy, Medium, and Hard. The hard version will give you a good fight. But, as with any AI, it cannot adjust to all strategies. The "2-Player" mode with a friend is there to give you a great fight.

The tournament mode will always be a limited "classic" mode. It will always be hand-to-hand tournament combat with legit fight moves (more of those to come in future releases) supervised by a referee.

FREE PLAY mode, however, will constantly evolve. Particular weapons (not all conventional), some things new (a few things you've probably never seen in a fighting game), and some things old (a few homages). Version 1.1 will pay homage to a famous fighting move as well as minor gameplay tweaks (will be sent to Apple for review by early next week).

We're always looking to improve what we've got and we enjoy all the great feedback we can get. We would like to hear everyone's comments. Thanks again and we will be checking back regularly on the forum.
Sounds great - I was going to say please don't change the point/refereed fight style in the tournament mode, and just add other fighting styles as an option, but it sounds like that's your plan.

Another option I forgot to mention in the last post is different martial arts styles - Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Aikido, Kung Fu, etc.

But even as the game is, it's great! Definitely worth $1!

[edit] Holy crap! I just discovered an option I didn't see before - you can customize the sounds for each move!! In addition to choosing which sounds are provided, you can RECORD your own! That's so cool! I also discovered the move customize screen in which you can reassign any move to any control/combo. Very nice. Only thing is, the screen doesn't tell you that you have to tap on the move's name to choose a different move for that control combo.
Heh, I'm at work now, but I can't wait to try recording my own crazy move sounds later, lol

Last edited by Artfoundry; 11-24-2009 at 02:43 PM.
11-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Artfoundry,

Yes, there will be new moves available from different styles. Adding characters may be a possibility in the future.

Yes, the custom sound and custom move mapping were a fun extra. There are detailed instructions here ==> www.e4csolutions.com/zanshin on how to maximize these features.

BTW, I included a Quickstart play guide in the app. Do you feel that most players would benefit from a more detailed play guide in the app itself instead of on the web?

For the custom sounds, it is important that your voice starts up immediately at the beginning of the recording process so that it is timed correctly with the move. One second recordings for fight moves and two seconds recordings for taunts/celebrations. My above doc has more detailed info on that.

Have fun with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
Sounds great - I was going to say please don't change the point/refereed fight style in the tournament mode, and just add other fighting styles as an option, but it sounds like that's your plan.

Another option I forgot to mention in the last post is different martial arts styles - Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Aikido, Kung Fu, etc.

But even as the game is, it's great! Definitely worth $1!

[edit] Holy crap! I just discovered an option I didn't see before - you can customize the sounds for each move!! In addition to choosing which sounds are provided, you can RECORD your own! That's so cool! I also discovered the move customize screen in which you can reassign any move to any control/combo. Very nice. Only thing is, the screen doesn't tell you that you have to tap on the move's name to choose a different move for that control combo.
Heh, I'm at work now, but I can't wait to try recording my own crazy move sounds later, lol
11-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by e4csolutions View Post
Hi Artfoundry,

Yes, there will be new moves available from different styles. Adding characters may be a possibility in the future.

Yes, the custom sound and custom move mapping were a fun extra. There are detailed instructions here ==> www.e4csolutions.com/zanshin on how to maximize these features.

BTW, I included a Quickstart play guide in the app. Do you feel that most players would benefit from a more detailed play guide in the app itself instead of on the web?

For the custom sounds, it is important that your voice starts up immediately at the beginning of the recording process so that it is timed correctly with the move. One second recordings for fight moves and two seconds recordings for taunts/celebrations. My above doc has more detailed info on that.

Have fun with it!
Yeah, i saw the quickstart guide. Didn't really read through it much because I had read part of the manual on your site before buying the game. But I think the QS guide is plenty. Most people don't read long instructions anyway. On the other hand, if you want to include a full manual, I would recommend then including a shorter guide as well for those who don't want to read much. I beta tested another game, and this is what they did - a very simple guide that's mostly images and shows all the basic functions as well as a full text based (with images) manual.

BTW, I appreciate that you're so thorough with the game, instructions, forum responses, etc. - shows you care a lot about your product and customers.