★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Tower of the Sorcerer is a cross between a puzzle game and an RPG.

The story is saving the princess who was locked in the magic tower, it is the such story as you have heard the other day. But the fact is that this story isn't related to this game at all. Why? You will know the reason when you play this game. As the contents of this is RPG, there is the side like a puzzle. Please play this without hurry combining with training of brain.

To save the princess you must go up the floors. You fight the bad guys and get keys to open doors. You have a health meter and you can gold coins and experince to increase defensive power, offensive power, and health. The levels are not randomly generated so the game will be the same every time you play.
11-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Puzzle and RPG - had to go for it. Won't be able to let you guys know til much later though how it is. And to quote some other dev "the google" didn't do a really good job with the description. Doesn't bother me though, I got the gist - puzzle and rpg!

11-18-2009, 02:45 PM
I bought it too. Lol, I buy almost anything with the words RPG in it.

Helvetica will treat you good if you take time to understand her.
11-18-2009, 03:13 PM
This looks kind of good. If anyone can post some impressions that would be great.

Edit: I went ahead and picked this up. Overall it is an average game but it is only .99. The graphics are kind of cute and the game plays okay. There are some lite RPG elements here but they are pretty basic. You can buy extra health, attack and defence. When you move next to a character you will fight them. It seems like the game will not let you fight them unless you can beat them. It says something like, you can't defeat the devil. So, you need to pay attention to what keys you pick up to make sure you can open the doors.

The save feature is a little weird but it does seem to work. You have to enter your save file name each time you want to save or it comes up as an error. Overall, it is okay.

Last edited by BazookaTime; 11-18-2009 at 04:33 PM.
11-18-2009, 04:50 PM
I haven't had too much time with it but having trouble figuring out what to really do. It seems like you have to go up and down the stairs several times because in the beginning you are blocked by "you can't defeat the devil" as Bazooka said. But now I am on the third floor and the stairwell is blocked by one of these characters and I can't get to the store either so my only option is to go back down I guess. Ok still working out the kinks.

Oh yeah, IS there a smaller font available? Cuz frankly this font is just TOO big for my iTouch (....kiddding... its the smallest font I have ever seen!)
11-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Gamer View Post
I haven't had too much time with it but having trouble figuring out what to really do. It seems like you have to go up and down the stairs several times because in the beginning you are blocked by "you can't defeat the devil" as Bazooka said. But now I am on the third floor and the stairwell is blocked by one of these characters and I can't get to the store either so my only option is to go back down I guess. Ok still working out the kinks.

Oh yeah, IS there a smaller font available? Cuz frankly this font is just TOO big for my iTouch (....kiddding... its the smallest font I have ever seen!)
From what I have found, anytime it says, you can't defeat the devil, it means you don't have enough health to beat that character. I had this phrase come up several times (different looking characters) so I went to the shop and upgraded my health. (25 coins) I then went back and was able to beat all of those characters that I was unable to challenge before.

Once I understood this, I restarted the game and made sure that I attacked areas with lots of potions in them first. You also have to pick areas with lots of keys.

This seems okay for .99 but the directions are really unclear. I doubt it will stay on my touch for very long.

Last edited by BazookaTime; 11-18-2009 at 05:03 PM.
11-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
From what I have found, anytime it says, you can't defeat the devil, it means you don't have enough health to beat that character. I had this phrase come up several times (different looking characters) so I went to the shop and upgraded my health. (25 coins) I then went back and was able to beat all of those characters that I was unable to challenge before.

Once I understood this, I restarted the game and made sure that I attacked areas with lots of potions in them first. You also have to pick areas with lots of keys.

This seems okay for .99 but the directions are really unclear. I doubt it will stay on my touch for very long.
Yes unless by some miracle this gets great soon, I will play it for a bit, get my dollar's worth and delete it. It seems the puzzle part is deciding which characters to attack when. You can lead yourself into dead ends with the "you can't attack the devil" lines. I saved my health and attacked the guy near the store to open that up so that helps a lot. Maybe it will be less frustrating now.

Its funny, DS games I would never read a manual unless absolutely necessary. Games were intuitive. Now I find more and more though with some of these iTouch games there is no help and they are NOT intuitive at ALL to figure out! Better directions would be great.

Oh yeah - did you get past the grate on the second level? I seem to be going back and forth from 1 to 3 and didn't they say good stuff was on 2?
11-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Yes unless by some miracle this gets great soon, I will play it for a bit, get my dollar's worth and delete it. It seems the puzzle part is deciding which characters to attack when. You can lead yourself into dead ends with the "you can't attack the devil" lines. I saved my health and attacked the guy near the store to open that up so that helps a lot. Maybe it will be less frustrating now.

Its funny, DS games I would never read a manual unless absolutely necessary. Games were intuitive. Now I find more and more though with some of these iTouch games there is no help and they are NOT intuitive at ALL to figure out! Better directions would be great.

Oh yeah - did you get past the grate on the second level? I seem to be going back and forth from 1 to 3 and didn't they say good stuff was on 2?

This game is really controlled. You pretty much fight a couple of guys, get 25 coins, go to the shop, upgrade your health, so you can fight some guys that were too hard before. Repeat, repeat, repeat. The back tracking is not that much fun, since it is so controlled. I have been to level eight but you always have to head back to the shop.

If you check your mirror, you can see how tough some of these guys are and this game will not let you fight anyone you can not beat. There is a guy on the fifth level that will sell you uprgrades but the gold is becoming kind of hard to come by.

My current stats:

Health-2449
Attack-59
Defence-122
Fun-0

Edit...actually the guy on the fifth level sells you stuff via your experience points.

New Stats:
Heath-7449
Attack-72
Defence-129
Fun-0
Wallet- -.99

Last edited by BazookaTime; 11-18-2009 at 06:07 PM.
11-18-2009, 06:38 PM
Not having much fun with this at all. All the backtracking to the shop to get more health so it will LET you fight the next guy is worse than level grinding!! Got to the guy on level 5 and raised my levels but man even that doesn't let you go too far. The monsters don't refresh so you can't get more gold and well, I think I got my dollar's worth. Isle of 8 bit Treasures is SO much more fun!
11-18-2009, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Not having much fun with this at all. All the backtracking to the shop to get more health so it will LET you fight the next guy is worse than level grinding!! Got to the guy on level 5 and raised my levels but man even that doesn't let you go too far. The monsters don't refresh so you can't get more gold and well, I think I got my dollar's worth. Isle of 8 bit Treasures is SO much more fun!
Agreed. Maybe you and I saved some other people some money.
I love these two quotes from the game description.

"Please play this without hurry combining with training the brain"
and...

"The levels are not randomly generated so the game will be the same every time you play"

I like the second quote because they list that as if it is a good thing that things stay the same. It really isn't a good thing because once you wipe out a floor, there is no way to make any more money or earn any more experience.

I actually think this could have been good but I think I am done with it now. The princess is going to have to save herself.