★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Promo Codes for Petri

01-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Promo Codes for Petri

Hey, I posted this over at this thread, but it hasn't been getting any attention, so I thought I would give it a new thread with a more descriptive title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygize View Post
I will give out 15 more codes for Petri. Now, when I'm not developing for the iPhone, I am a graduate student in the social sciences. So, I think the codes will go to those who can best tell me:

"What is your philosophy of games?"

Answers don't have to be long. A paragraph is fine. I want this to fun, not homework.

I will intentionally leave the question vague, because I don't really know what kind of answer I'm looking for. I'll judge my favorite answers when I can get back to a computer, probably sometime tomorrow, and give them a code.

Points for creativity / profoundness / insight / use of the phrase "transcendental experience" .
I'll be checking both threads, so those people who answered in the previous thread won't get left out.

Developer of Petri. Available now on the iTunes Store.

These days I work with Tonchidot on Sekai Camera.
01-05-2009, 08:32 AM
What is your philosophy of games?

superficially for entertainment, and distraction from the real world
optimistically for insight, honing the brains of the skills in quick thinking, logic,
and strategy

sometimes the best ways to learn about a complex real world concept is to turn it into a game, and tackle it piece by piece, plus you get to save and load when you die, a 2nd and 57th chance

01-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Games are my life! I have about 20 iPhone games and many other games for both Wii and PS2. The games that I enjoy the most for iPhone and iPod Touch would include RTS, racing, and Tower Defense. I am also interested in most action games that you can buy for PS2. For Wii, I usually play games like Rockband and Guitar Hero.

I know a lot about games, mostly for the iPhone. I try to keep up with the newest games and price changes. I have a lot of good games that I got on sale because of this. A lot of games for Wii and PS2 I probably haven't even heard of.

I have even wanted to start making games of my own. I have been working on making iPhone games, but that has not gone very well so far.

-1st Gen 15-in 2.16GHz Macbook Pro
-1st Gen 8GB iPod Touch
01-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Leave this world for awhile, but just for awhile.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
01-05-2009, 08:50 AM
simple

im 38 so I grew up on atari and my philosophy is that games need to focus less on graphics and more on game play. too many games have great graphics but left out the fun.

some of the best games ever made focused little on graphics. Anyone remember Kaboom!

jfsypeck@comcast.net
01-05-2009, 08:54 AM
what is my philosophy of games?

i remember when i was a basketball fan. i was a kid, eight or nine year old and just wanted to be another mj. you know, i wanted to play in chicago bulls, meet dennis rodman, scottie pippen and shake hands with phil jackson. i loved that game. when my parents went bed, i was turning tv on just to watch a game (i live in poland, so games are like at 2 am) for a minute or two.

after school i played nba live just to feel like a real baskeball player there. to be someone else for a just one sec. win a game in a last three seconds.

now i'm 21. i don't play a lot. but when i do i remember those times and just keep smiling. games help you dreaming.

thank you.
01-05-2009, 09:00 AM
My philosophy of games is that I have always been a fan of movies and comic books and video games essentially put me into these mediums. The interactive nature of video games makes them alive, and I can place myself into these movie or comic-like environments. Video games are thus a living imagination.
01-05-2009, 09:02 AM
games were solely built for the purpose of relieving stress and draining away extra hours of our daily life. its a good form of escape from reality
01-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pante View Post
what is my philosophy of games?

i remember when i was a basketball fan. i was a kid, eight or nine year old and just wanted to be another mj. you know, i wanted to play in chicago bulls, meet dennis rodman, scottie pippen and shake hands with phil jackson. i loved that game. when my parents went bed, i was turning tv on just to watch a game (i live in poland, so games are like at 2 am) for a minute or two.

after school i played nba live just to feel like a real baskeball player there. to be someone else for a just one sec. win a game in a last three seconds.

now i'm 21. i don't play a lot. but when i do i remember those times and just keep smiling. games help you dreaming.

thank you.
couldnt agree more. my dad was an alcoholic, evil bastard, and my atari 2600 was my life line. it took me away to a better place, if only for a while. thats why i think i still play games even at 38.

j
01-05-2009, 09:42 AM
games are my life been playing since i was 6. now that i have to work for a living i dont get to play as often. always been a part of my life. drifted away for a few years but came back in full force with the dreamcast