★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Why does Motochaser get such a bad rap?

01-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Why does Motochaser get such a bad rap?

There is a lot going for the game - smooth racing graphics, motorcycles (!), various diffiulty settings which adds to replay value, price (been cheap for quite some time), good sound/music, and cats! And yet the only games on Toucharcade that get worse raps are junk like Urban Tycoon and Zombie Mansion, and I don't get it. There are some bugs in the game of course, the worst being levels randomly locking up. But still, why don't people like this game? I'm just curious as to what some major criticisims are.

On an unrelated note, can someone answer me this. If my iphone is plugged in to an outlet and I'm playing games or surfing the net or whatever, am I still using battery power?
01-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I think because they were expecting more after seeing it on the tv advert. Plus it took me a while to get used to the controls, but after I did the game was fun

Originally Posted by Vende View Post
On an unrelated note, can someone answer me this. If my iphone is plugged in to an outlet and I'm playing games or surfing the net or whatever, am I still using battery power?
You are directly using outlet power, Once you stop browsing the internet I think the battery charges then.
01-05-2009, 09:34 AM
I think it is a great game. It was the best at that time and it only gets a bad rep when people compare it to existing racing titles. I also payed 9.99$ for it, at that time i felt it was totally worth it but now i think it is correctly priced at 0.99$

Currently Playing: N.O.V.A, Skater Nation, 33rd Division, 7 Cities, Karnival.
Looking Forward to: GTA: Chinatown Wars, Ravensword (update), 1112 ep 02 and yeah the hangover on 1st
01-05-2009, 09:41 AM
A lot of people apparently don't like the tilt control sensitivity. However, I enjoyed playing this game myself, and had no problem with the control at all. The only thing I don't like is when you go uphill and the camera doesn't tilt up so you can't see what's coming up. I still enjoy the odd blast on this game tbh, in between Fastlane and Ferrari. It's not bad, especially for the cheap price it is now.
01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
I think it's because the graphics suck and the controls are very difficult to learn. I mean don't get me wrong... it's probably an achievement to pack all of that stuff into a game on the phone... But I just don't know how to describe it. The graphics are real blocky and chunky. They tried to make the game feel fast by having the road fly by underneath you way too fast making it hard for first time users to get the hang of it, they probably should have used some kind of motion blurring instead because the motorcycle just feels like it's bouncing off the walls when you're new to the game. Also going over hills is pretty pointless since it's hard to control the bike in the first place and then you go flying 200 feet in the air and have no control at all. And there is no point whatsoever in the fighting.

Say what you will about cro mag but it is one of the few games that has decent graphics, a decent (not too annoying) soundtrack, and extremely playable especially for someone new to pick up and enjoy right away. That to me is an example of a good game where Motochaser is flawed with tons of problems. Motochaser just isn't that great right away. People buy the game, they don't get it right away, then they rank it poorly. New people keep buying it because it's always ranked in the top games in the store.
01-05-2009, 10:30 AM
I bought this half a year ago. The steering was nearly impossible, but the sense of speed was great and I liked how everything looked. The storyline was, well, hilarious.

The game aged very fast. They fixed the steering issues, but the graphics really suck, when you compare them to current racing games. It's just a checkpoint racer, no depth in it, no campaigns, no different motocycles etc. Even the old and rusty Asphalt and Raging Thunder beat MotoChaser. They lowered the price to 99 cents to compensate this, so overall, it's still ok (99 cents ).

I mean, for 99 cents it's really really ok. I don't understand the people moaning about this game and the graphics and everything. For 99 cents they still get a fun racer. If they want more content and better graphics, they have to pay more.

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de