★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Frenzic strategy help

01-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Frenzic strategy help

Hi. I was wondering if there are any Frenzic players here who could give me some help. The highest I can get is 2500 yet there are people out there who are getting over 10000. I've already put in 15 plus hours with no avail. Im close to deleting the game b/c its becoming too frustrating. Im usually pretty good with puzzle games but this one has me stumped. Feels like I'm missing a trick or something. Thanks in advance.
01-05-2009, 11:39 AM
As has been mentioned before, this game unfortunately isn't just a straightforward puzzle game, as there is an element of luck involved in it as well. Kinda like a game of Solitaire/Klondike, as in there's a strategy as to what you can do with the pieces/cards you get, but it's downright luck (good or bad) that determines what those pieces/cards will be...

But, if you weren't aware of it already, the developer has posted a "Strategy Guide" on their website here:
http://frenzic.com/strategy-guide/

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
If all of a certain piece was used in each position then that piece came up again you would die. I remember someone here complaining that such a situation was unfair, because it punished the user by chance. Which is only partially true - technically, it's no different than say, playing tetris, where you may have no place to put a certain block. It's just that in Frenzic, there aren't as many variations, and you hit the 'no place to put' much more frequently (thus having 'lives').

For sure, it's no fault of the game design, it's just that Tetris naturally has a better chance and flow to it.

So the strategy becomes this: Do not put yourself in a position to ever get into this situation. Look ahead - if your 'down' position is already taken up by four other places, and you have two empty, a purple 'down' piece comes up - do you put it into the one being a pie of all orange, or the other empty one? Naturally, you may want to put it into the other to keep the orange free, but maybe it would be better to just get closer to clearing the orange one. I know you can 'wait' for the next piece - but by clearing the orange one now, it frees up the entire pie for OTHER pieces (for example, if the 'up is already full).

Still, it doesn't have the same natural flow as Tetris. I would suggest to Frenzic developer's that a much more natural flow is to offer less 'lives', but give a few more options like a 'hold' space that can hold a single piece (much like the newer versions of tetris), and also reveal the upcoming piece or two.
01-05-2009, 01:35 PM
thanks for all the replies. Its such a cool game, its a shame luck is such a factor. I checked out the profiles of the top scorers an it looks like they all focus on the slowdown power up. well off to try a different strategy. there goes my afternoon
01-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Jalapeno View Post
thanks for all the replies. Its such a cool game, its a shame luck is such a factor. I checked out the profiles of the top scorers an it looks like they all focus on the slowdown power up. well off to try a different strategy. there goes my afternoon
played my first game focusing on the slowdown and i got 3500 points. Ive played 15 hrs up to this point and havent gotten past 2400 points so apparently its working so far. im finally starting to enjoy the game again!