★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Auto calibration thought

01-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Auto calibration thought

I was wondering if instead of asking/requiring game developers to put in auto calibration, shouldn't the ipod touch itself have auto calibration built in? You would think the ipod should have that ability.
01-05-2009, 11:20 AM
like reset itself every time you stopped moving? how would it know where the center point would be? in theory it would be great to have this feature..

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
01-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
like reset itself every time you stopped moving? how would it know where the center point would be? in theory it would be great to have this feature..
good point. i would have no idea how it would work but it sure would be nice to have it work somehow. it's such a deal breaker with me b/c i hate playing games holding the touch flat and it seems lots of developers leave it out, at least initially, hence the reason i didnt buy edge yet.

i wonder if its a difficult option to program for b/c if not, you would think all developers would make sure its in there.
01-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Jalapeno View Post
good point. i would have no idea how it would work but it sure would be nice to have it work somehow. it's such a deal breaker with me b/c i hate playing games holding the touch flat and it seems lots of developers leave it out, at least initially, hence the reason i didnt buy edge yet.

i wonder if its a difficult option to program for b/c if not, you would think all developers would make sure its in there.
I'm just about to program a normal calibration thing myself. And yes, it's a lot more time consuming than not allowing calibration. (but as it is a dealbreaker for you, I will do it )

(You have to figure out the orientation in 3d space and then base all other calculations on that. In the end it means adding an extra dimension to the accelerometer code (at least that's what I'm doing).)

Wooden Labyrinth 3D - Apple Design Award winner!
Multitask Madness - test your brain, challenge your friends!
Need quality iPhone consulting or custom applications? Check out my company's website at Qvik.fi!
01-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVp View Post
I'm just about to program a normal calibration thing myself. And yes, it's a lot more time consuming than not allowing calibration. (but as it is a dealbreaker for you, I will do it )

(You have to figure out the orientation in 3d space and then base all other calculations on that. In the end it means adding an extra dimension to the accelerometer code (at least that's what I'm doing).)
awesome! what game are you making?
01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVp View Post
Here's the math that I'm going to be using for whatever other accelerometer-based game I'm working on.

http://tom.pycke.be/mav/69/accelerometer-to-attitude

Of course there are some issues with allowing calibration. With "flat is zero" it's very readily obvious how the player should control the game. However, you can get into situations where if the player calibrates the game where the screen is perpendicular to gravity it's very easy for the player to think they can control yaw by controlling the iphone like a rudder (pushing back on the controller on whatever side you want to go on) instead of like a steering wheel (tilting that side down towards gravity). Of course if you're holding the game parallel to the ground, the opposite is true.

Unfortunately unless people understand how accelerometers really work and wrap their head around what the device is actually measuring (acceleration, which is usually just gravity), it's very easy for people to think they're doing the right thing and the game not behaving the way they think it should. That's just an inherent problem with the interface, though.

Escalation Studios - Developer of such fine games as Eternal Fate, Splode, DOOM Resurrection, and Dr. Awesome