★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: I learned something today: don't have more than 144 apps/9 screens of apps!

09-24-2008, 07:21 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
I learned something today: don't have more than 144 apps/9 screens of apps!

Yes, I had more than 144 including the built-in apps. Or at least I must have given what happened to me this morning. I'm not sure if it was 145 or what, but I can tell you that if you end up with more apps then will fit on 9 screen (16 per screen), you are in for trouble. 144 apps fill up 9 screens and there is no 10th screen of apps, or at least you can not see nor get to it! Moreover, App updates become problematic.

I discovered this this morning when I installed the latest update to Toy Bot Diaries Free, doing so from the AppStore app on my iPod touch. I could see the busy spinning thing in the top bar indicating that it was downloading it, but no where was the installation actually appearing on screen. I moved to the last screen and it wasn't there, nor was it happening on any other of the 9 available screens. Since the 2.1 firmware update, installs like this happen in the next available spot, but then the updated app jumps back to where the original was. That didn't happen this time. Instead what must have been my 145th app, which apparently must have already been past the 9th screen already, moved into view and Toy Bot Diaries Free had gone *poof*.

It was there - the AppStore said it was installed. I tried deleting some apps I didn't use, but of course this doesn't cause apps on the next screen to move onto the previous, so TBDF must have just remained on the invisible screen 10. I tried deleting the app from iTunes, but then at the next sync it just copied it back from my iPod touch - it didn't even give me a choice. I finally resolved this by going into the Application options screen for my iPod touch within iTunes and changing to syncing only selected apps, and then unchecking Toy Bot Diaries along with some others I didn't use. Of course doing this also deletes all the app data, so you lose progress! I then synced, which deleted all those apps. Then I re-checked Toy Bot Diaries and synced and finally it was back again, albeit back at square one.

So, just be warned that currently the iPod Touch 2.1 firmware does not handle 10 screens of apps and, in fact, handles it quite poorly. It seems to let you install more than 144 apps, but it will not show them. You would think that with the AppStore having so many apps, and so many free ones, that it wouldn't be that surprising that someone could end up with 145 apps or even 300.
09-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Have you considered a healthier addiction, such as alcohol abuse or vicadin?

09-24-2008, 09:21 AM
so basically we have to load and unload them as we need them until apple designs another layer of the interface, maybe a button at the 145th spot, that will load an entire subset of another 144 spots, the first one being a return to the first layer...actually that would be kinda impractical
09-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPodder View Post

I've also found the app store to be a horrible addiction, though I only have four pages and half is games. it seems pretty common though:
http://www.iphonesavior.com/iphone-a...addiction.html

I didn't read the whole article, but the cartoon was funny. I think it about sums things up for most iPhone users.
09-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
...I tried deleting some apps I didn't use, but of course this doesn't cause apps on the next screen to move onto the previous...
It will if you delete one entire screen of icons. ie: when you delete all the icons from one screen you cannot be left with an "empty" screen. So deleting all the icons from screen number 4 (for example) means that what was previously screen number 5 will now become the new screen number 4.

I agree it's not the best solution though, but would have worked in an "emergency" situation like this...

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
09-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPodder View Post

My iPhone App addiction is currently fighting with my World of Warcraft addiction.
09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
You're out of control!

Seriously, anything past 117 apps is just unnecessary! Beyond that and you're just a junkie
09-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palenoue View Post
My iPhone App addiction is currently fighting with my World of Warcraft addiction.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche :P
09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by palenoue View Post
Yes, I suffer the same problem, and I have also been neglecting my alcohol addiction lately thanks to always browsing the app store. Someday, you will see those ambulance-chaser lawyers on TV with ads like "Has your quality of life been affected by addiction to the iPhone/Touch app store? IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT!! Call the number on your screen now..."
09-24-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm not addicted...

I only have 73 applications! Addiction is only if you have more than 100 or if you look for new applications first thing in the morning. (Oh wait....)