★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Review: Bear Paw

11-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Review: Bear Paw

*Sorry - I think I posted this in the wrong forum by mistake. Have reposted in user reviews - sorry!!!!*

Review: Bear Paw
Developer : pocketfun / Neil Balharrie
Type: space based , gravity driven puzzle
Cost: $1.99
iTunes Link : http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/browserRedirect?url=itms%253A%252F%252Fitunes.appl e.com%252FWebObjects%252FMZStore.woa%252Fwa%252Fvi ewSoftware%253Fid%253D335358108%2526cc%253Dgb%2526 mt%253D8

To quote Douglas Adams, 'Space is big. I mean really big' - but it never seems quite big enough when you're playing Bear Paw.

Place and 'charge' your ship (by dragging your finger back - to define direction and power) and then watch the drama unfold.
As all the stellar matter undergoes gravitational collapse, see how good or bad your judgement was as the ship moves under the influence of gravity and your initial charge.

Gain extra point multipliers for capturing the smaller comets, but watch out the larger stars which will destroy the ship. Survive until at least the timer expires, and anything else is a bonus until you move onto the next level with more complicated stellar configurations.

I described this on the App Store as 'Tetris for the new Generation'. Its not an arcade shoot-em-up , and you need to apply an unusual amount of brain power if you want to get the higher scores. As you progress through the various achievements at various score thresholds, openfeint along with Facebook and Twitter integration keeps everyone updated on your progress.

The interpretation of the physics and the Barnes-Hut gravity simulation is implemented brilliantly , and the graphics are a stunning presentation of something much more complicated going on under the hood.

Gameplay is addictive to say the least - once you think you've figured out exactly where you're going wrong, the subtlety of gravity plays out in the gameplay and makes every round virtually unique.

Placement and 'charging' of the ship is easy (unless you're right at the edge of the screen), and its very much a joy to watch the level unfold. The graphics are fantastic and mean you dont feel as if you just waiting around for something to happen - but this does result in shouting at the screen and 'head in hands' moments, when you realise that your original placement was every so slightly off.

The ambient soundtrack is perfect, and you can easily lose hours of your life trying to outsmart the gravitational physics. Needless to say;

Gravity - 1 , Smart Alec - 0

Video Trailer

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BP.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	10913  

Last edited by rburrows69; 11-20-2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: updated video link
11-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Sorry - I think I posted this in the wrong forum by mistake. Have reposted in user reviews - sorry!!!!
11-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Are the levels randomly generated?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews