★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Andrew Nevick
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 3.4 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: If you've ever played Geoff Crammond's classic game "The Sentinel" then you will be right at home with The Watcher!

The Watcher is a real-time 3D puzzle game in which you must stealthily move to the top of a landscape and absorb all the evil eyes looking for you. If a watcher spots you then it will sap your energy - lose too much and it's game over!

100 levels of increasing difficulty over 4 worlds - Grass, Sand, Lava and Ice!

Fully configurable random level generator - nearly infinite replayability at whatever difficulty you like!

Super smooth real-time 3D engine!

Simple touch controls!

Hints for play:

Always absorb your last position node when you move - you need all the energy you can get.

Stay near the ground as much as possible - you will have more cover from the eyes above you.

Absorb every tree that you can - sometimes you may need to gather a lot of trees around the map before you can gain much height.

The Watcher is about timing more than reflexes - observe the direction any eyes are facing on the map before making your move.

andynorwich's comments:
The Watcher is now available on the app store! Now you can have the classic 3D puzzle goodness in the palm of your hand!

If you ever played Geoff Crammond's classic game The Sentinel then you will be right at home with the watcher. Make your way to the top of each level and absorb the baddies as you go - just don't get caught in their gaze!

The Watcher contains:

75 levels over 3 different worlds

A configurable random level generator for nearly infinite replayability

Full real time 3D gameplay

Simple touch controls and deep strategy!

11-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post

Worst idea ever!

11-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi I remember the Sentinal very well when I was younger.

I've just purchased the game and extremely quick first impressions are very good. Although it does have a slight unfinished feel to it.

Do you plan to do any updates on the game ?

Some kind of 'absorbing' effect would be good rather than things just disapearing.

Last edited by Betty 2K1; 11-20-2009 at 12:57 PM.
11-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for your purchase Betty!

I've been working on the first update for a while now - it's a biggy:

Whole new Ice world, with 25 more levels.

Even faster rendering on 1st gen devices.

New 50x50 map size available for random, up from 40x40 (Ice world is 50x50 too).

Level selection is much faster (it was taking too long to scroll to the later lava ones).

Other misc bug fixes and improvements.

It's pretty much done now, hopefully have it polished off by the end of the week, maybe early next week, and then it will probably be a week or so in review.
11-20-2009, 01:16 PM
That's great to hear. I definatley can see me playing this for some considerable time and recommend it to anyone who remembers Sentinal.

Ideas for possible updates...

The addition of some 'atmospheric' music.

Some kind of 'absorbing' effect on items.

Zoom in and out in map mode

Some kind of effect when you defeat the 'Eye'

Anyway, good luck with the game.
11-20-2009, 05:07 PM
this is my post/review in another thread :

ok Ive played it yesterday and today so Id like to share my thoughts :

-) great game has real Sentinel feeling, runs smooth without issues, difficulty level is like Sentinel Returns not a "high impact" like original first Sentinel... GUYS YOU GOTTA BUY THIS NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

now for the "improvement" (IMHO) part :

-) its almost impossible to see Watcher turning as its a spherical thing, you have to wait to see the pupil but it forces you then to act quickly ruining the strategic part, my opinion is to reshape it in order to understand wheres its turning (and speed of it) even when seeing it from the back

-) teleport doesnt turn view towards where you was before teleporting (already addressed by dev)

-) squares on the map are smaller than original ones this is not an issue but makes the map fell very small even if its bigger than an original sentinel level

-) you can "absorb" things created by you even when you dont see the square where they lie... if I recall correctly in the original you cant (I have to load C64 emulator to have confirmation on this)

-) Id like to have an energy meter always on screen like in the original in order to understand when Sentinel is draining my energy and how many energy I have to use

-) place buttons always on screen, they are a bit slow sometime to appear and if you have a Watcher near.... ouch! (time to remain under his sight is very little!)

-) Watcher doesnt seem to drain energy from things created by you that are under his sight, in Sentinel you see robots turning boulder than trees than disappear and the energy so drained by the sentinel was re-distributed in tree form randomly in the level

Wannasee :

-) levels identical to original one with same method of jump and code-related

11-21-2009, 03:42 AM
I've bumped this up because many people may have missed this release as it came out at a time in UK when most people would be at work/school. I'm just guessing, but people in the Uk may know this game better than in USA. For me, if it wasn't for the fact that I was off work with a cold, then I would have missed this completely and not purchased it (I never usually look through the forums other than what's on the front page of TouchArcade).

*To the developer, have you tried contacting the guys and gals at TouchArcade to see if they'll give it a mention?

As a side note, when not playing this game I keeping wanting to come back to it, which is a great sign and unusual for me.
11-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks again for the kind words Betty, I hope you find that some of the rough edges have been smoothed off in the coming update!

As far as getting in contact with the toucharcade guys for some front page goodness, I'm planning on sending out a lot of promo codes to the review sites when the update has been approved - hopefully that will show the game in its best light.
11-21-2009, 04:00 PM
I hate sounding like an idiot, but how does this game work? I watched game play videos of The Sentinel, but I have no idea what's going on.

"I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it" - John Cage
Plus+ ID= Maythius

Game Center: Maythius
11-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Maythius View Post
I hate sounding like an idiot, but how does this game work? I watched game play videos of The Sentinel, but I have no idea what's going on.
Same here. I'm new to this concept and I have the game, but don't exactly know how to play it.