★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Connect2Media
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 9.9 MB
  • Version: 0.3.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: HOT OFFER - Get this Award Winning game for only 99c/59p

Fiendish word fun.

String letters together to form words and watch the grid shift and shrink with every correct one in this slick, addictive and fun word game.

You have a set time (from 30 minutes to 30 seconds) to make as many words as you can from a grid of letters. Score points for every word made according to the value of the letters and the length of the word. Clear the grid to earn bonus points.

Enjoy this game on iPhone? Then play on Facebook and interactive TV at home.

Features include:
- Simple to pick up but difficult to put down word game which will have you addicted
- Infinite word grids generated at random mean you will be playing for hours
- Five different play modes; Gentle, Medium, Hard, Fiendish and Endless!
- Power Plays, Swap Letters and Hot Word add to the drama
- OpenFeint integration, high score tables and achievements

C2M Chap's comments:
Hello Everyone

If it is a solid word game that the App store is missing then it isn't any longer - along comes 'String'em In', a grid based, word game that is very very consuming!

It's based on an interactive TV game which has done amazingly well over here in Europe as well as Australia and New Zealand. The game is fully localised (the French version is Jeu de Mots, for example) and looks great on the iPhone/iPod touch. Please take a look - maybe try the Lite and see what you think. Full game costs $2.99.

Features are:

Both titles can be downloaded directly from the following URLS:

Full: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/string-em-in/id327903749?mt=8

Lite: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/string-em-in-lite/id327939053?mt=8

Key features:

-Simple to pick up but difficult to put down word game what has been a smash hit on interactive TV

-Open Feint connectivity features

-Infinite word grids generate at random mean you will be playing for hours

-Access to users iTunes library

-Facebook Connect integration

-Five different play modes; Gentle, Medium, Hard, Fiendish and Endless

-Power Plays, Swap Letters and Hot Word add to the drama!

11-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG
11-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Sorry - I am from Connect2Media

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I am from the developers and publishers of the game, Connect2Media.
11-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by C2M Chap View Post
Sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I am from the developers and publishers of the game, Connect2Media.
Haha, thanks for the full disclosure, but the user name did give us a clue.

The game looks good, so I downloaded the lite to give it a try. Good luck on it!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
11-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I did purchase this yesterday; it's just ok(and I'm being generous). Sure I give it a few points for originality of the entire plyfield all at once, but yet it becomes tiresome every single time that the camera zooms to spell out a word. My major gripe is that the lack of usage for diagonal letters(play the lite version and you'll understand my viewpoint).

At most I'll give this a 'meh' rating-so many other far superior titles than this one(if you do buy this, at least wait for a price drop).
11-25-2009, 03:50 AM
Connect2Media kindly gave me a code yesterday so Ive been playing the game a couple of times since then.

Here's the gist of the game and why it might be interesting for some people:
  1. String'em In actually plays like Word Search puzzles (Google Images) and it probably should have been marketed as such.
  2. Just like in a word search puzzle, you have a grid of letters and you search for adjacent letters that can form a word. There are 2 differences: (1) you can make diagonal matches in a word search puzzle, but not in String'em In. And (2), you can only make line matches (vertical, horizontal, diagonal) in a word search puzzle, but in String'em In, the word matches can go around corners as well (like in a Snake game). I have not tried making a word that long, but I have made words with 1 bend.
  3. I am more of a casual word game player, which is why I am very selective with the word games I keep on my phone. So far I only have Textropolis and Wordulous. Both excellent casual word games. String'em In joins these two on my phone yesterday. Here's why:
  4. You don't really need a huge vocabulary to play String'em In. You just need to recognize a word when you see one ("Hmmm.. that looks like it could be a word"). This, I think is much easier than to unscramble a bunch of letters to form words. Plus, it has the fun factor of Word Search games.
  5. String'em In did a little more for pro players. In some game modes, the letter blocks actually get removed from the board as you form words. This makes the game play like those removem games where a little planning is needed if you want to clear as many letters as possible. For example, you may end up with all consonants and no vowels at the end of the game. The daily bonus words also make you strive to make a particular word to get a bonus score. This forces you to locate individual letters for that word and try to make matches such that the letters get close enough for you to make a match.
  6. The different game modes were clearly designed with both casual and pro players in mind. There are 2 game modes that I love: Classic (20min game, letters do not get replaced. Make as many matches as possible -- play this if you like removem type games and strategy) and Endless (matched letters get replaced with new ones but you have to make a match every 30seconds or lose the game -- play this if you like word search puzzles). The other 3 game modes are just tweaks to the Classic mode because the game only uses one global leaderboard.
  7. The music is pretty upbeat and the graphics for the game are really nice. The letters are color coded to denote how much each letter is worth. These color codes needs a little getting used to, but the system works really well.
  8. I find the UI to be quite amazing. I can imagine that its quite a challenge to fit all those letters into one screen and have the right controls to manage it properly. The current system works pretty well actually. You tap on a part of the grid and you are shown a zoomed portion of the grid. The controls are explained pretty well in the tutorial so I wont explain it here. It takes a little getting used to, but I really cant think of a better way for the controls.

In case you don't already know, Connect2Media are the people behind Timeloop, Go! Go! Rescue Squad! and TumbleBugs, all three pretty great games. As their first word game, String'em In is a game that I enjoy quite a lot. The price is definitely appropriate considering the high production value of the game. The game just needs a better packaging and maybe a launch price. All in all, if you are a fan of word search puzzles or enjoy removem type games but think they are not challenging enough, this game would be interesting for you. Give the lite version a try!

1. Should have separate leaderboards
  2. Why are diagonal matches not allowed?
  3. String'em In has a nice catchy title but Im not sure if the title and the app description represents the gameplay well enough. There are a lot of word games on the App Store (well, not as many as puzzle games) and games get buried easily.
  4. the clock needs to be moved to the top center of the screen. For such a timed game, the clock is not positioned at a place that can be constantly visible to the player. My hand often blocks the clock placed at the bottom right of the screen.

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG