★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: AVES (FREE) Full Version Very Limited Time

11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
AVES (FREE) Full Version Very Limited Time

For a Limited Time Only.

Full Version is Free in Light of Apple's 3rd Feature for Aves (New and Noteworthy, Best Archery, and Best Hunting)

We'd like to clarify a few things:

Believe it or not, the bird in Aves is not really alive.
It is not aware.
It does not feel pain... it is digital.
----------------
It does not get sad.
It does not get depressed.
It is not real. So don't feel bad.

Headphones Required
11-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah... I tried this - one of the odder games I've ever played. Kinda creepy too - particularly when you kill the bird and it gets stretched out in front of you before being sucked away into a wormhole or whatever.

And after the first few kills, really got pretty boring.

And what's up with those sounds?? Like the guy's voice on level 3 or 4 saying things like "that's not a cracker" when you hit the bird. wth??

The audio sounds nice and all, but I wasn't blown away or anything. Graphics were good too, but again nothing to write home about.

In any case, a decent tech demo, but that's really all it is. Certainly glad I didn't pay for it.

11-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
Yeah... I tried this - one of the odder games I've ever played. Kinda creepy too - particularly when you kill the bird and it gets stretched out in front of you before being sucked away into a wormhole or whatever.

And after the first few kills, really got pretty boring.

And what's up with those sounds?? Like the guy's voice on level 3 or 4 saying things like "that's not a cracker" when you hit the bird. wth??

The audio sounds nice and all, but I wasn't blown away or anything. Graphics were good too, but again nothing to write home about.

In any case, a decent tech demo, but that's really all it is. Certainly glad I didn't pay for it.
I feel the same.
11-20-2009, 03:48 PM
The bird in "Aves" is not animated, its simulated - and the actions and reactions it has to the arrows are what demonstrate a small portion of the BioReplicant technology behind it. Take a little time with it to see why a few review magazines have described the animations as "Sublime".
11-20-2009, 04:09 PM
It's a beautiful looking thing, but the notion of killing the bird was a very poor choice. In basically ensures that you'll spend just as much time trying to talk people off the ledge about bird killing as you will patting yourself on the back about the beauty of the app. What's more, this app is now seen as "the app where you kill a pretty bird" and not as the grand step into the future of bioreplicant technology, etc. Plain and simple, most humans have a very visceral reaction to the notion of shooting things (especially beautiful things) in the chest with arrows. The context of your app is highly impressive, but the content is way off base. It's like running over a child in order to prove how powerful the car you built is. It's exceptionally offputting and it undercuts any good you might have done with the technology of the app itself.
11-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I can understand that Aves a technological showcase but it really seems that the current mode of showing that off isn't connecting with a lot of people. No matter how many times it's explained I just don't think the above type of comments will ever go away.

It would be cool to see a different game showing off the BioReplicant technology.

Currently Playing - Space Miner / Wooden Labyrinth 3D / Star Hogs / Isotope / Pool Rebel
Front Page Tug Boat "Radar"
Beta Testing - iPhone 3G S⃣
11-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfuller View Post
It's a beautiful looking thing, but the notion of killing the bird was a very poor choice. In basically ensures that you'll spend just as much time trying to talk people off the ledge about bird killing as you will patting yourself on the back about the beauty of the app. What's more, this app is now seen as "the app where you kill a pretty bird" and not as the grand step into the future of bioreplicant technology, etc. Plain and simple, most humans have a very visceral reaction to the notion of shooting things (especially beautiful things) in the chest with arrows. The context of your app is highly impressive, but the content is way off base. It's like running over a child in order to prove how powerful the car you built is. It's exceptionally offputting and it undercuts any good you might have done with the technology of the app itself.
That's what I was trying to say... kinda...

Currently Playing - Space Miner / Wooden Labyrinth 3D / Star Hogs / Isotope / Pool Rebel
Front Page Tug Boat "Radar"
Beta Testing - iPhone 3G S⃣
11-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfuller View Post
It's a beautiful looking thing, but the notion of killing the bird was a very poor choice.
Don't be so picky. We are killing birds every day when we eat chickens, ducks or geese. Those are very well simulated and beautiful virtually created birds of paradise, well, but pixel-birds anyway... Playing that game is nothing better or worse than anyone who eats chicken.

I've built that crib for me personally: You don't kill them, but you put in something like narcotic medication with the special arrows. The rare birds need that to survive. They are getting something like a footrim or a identification chip then and will be freed after the procedure (not shown in the game). Voila! Here is your gameplay & storyboard.

Enjoy sounds, simulation and healing birds. When you can't believe my story, don't shoot. Tension the bow for the sound, but don't shoot.

Anyway. Another game with that great technique would be great.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
11-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Send a message via AIM to Outkast1
I think it's pretty cool- as both a game and a concept. I look forward to seeing more from these guys, their talent is obvious. I look at it as a tech demo, and appreciate the simulation and especially the audio.

I remember the dev mentioning they'd be working on a FPS, with binaural audio so you can hear where the enemies are, etc. the physics engine would be very realistic e.g. you shoot the person's arm, their aim gets impacted. Sounded really cool when he painted the picture.

And it's a freaking video game btw gimme a break.. you're shooting mythical birds with a bow and arrow. how is this different from iHunt or any of those hunting games? cuz it's more realistic (even though the birds are mythical and all realism goes away with that portal once they're shot)? gimme a break. nobody had trouble playing GTA, but i can't believe the uproar over this. just like i couldn't believe all the uproar over the airport scene in mw2... they are video games.
11-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
Don't be so picky. We are killing birds every day when we eat chickens, ducks or geese.
Yeah but if someone said "would you like to play a beautiful game about eating chicken," I think I'd pass.

As I said before, the creators of this game made a very poor choice when they decided to center it around shooting a bird with an arrow. Right out of the gate that pushes a button with many folks. A lot of people will miss the beauty of the game entirely, because they're too focused on the fact that it involves shooting something beautiful, etc.

What's really amazing is that the creators didn't HAVE to include this element. They were trying to show off their technology, not create a bird hunting game. They could have chosen anything to display the technology, but instead they made a really, really bad choice. Now they have to spend as much time defending that choice as they do promoting the game itself. As a result, the game is rapidly becoming more famous for how much it upsets people than for the technology they created the game to showcase.