★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Anyone for a game of chess???

01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Anyone for a game of chess???

I've suddenly got the urge to play a bit of chess and pump some iron in the old brain department after indulging my self in stupid pointless (but fun) 0.59 games over the christmas season.

There are quite a few listed in the App Store all of varying price and all proclaim to have the 'best chess engine', but there's nothing like a real world recommendation.

So........ what'd ya recommend?????????
01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
t Chess Lite - $0.99

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

01-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Deep green is very polished but is expensive at $8..(can't post link.)

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy

Last edited by The Game Reaper; 01-05-2009 at 03:09 PM.
01-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Deep Green ftw

After my disappointment with Big Bang Board games that had a chess program but spartan, I had to get a standalone app and narrowed it down to two:

I'm a casual player (read: sux) so the actual playing experience and aesthetics (Deep Green) won over analysis (t Chess Pro)

If you're hardcore, you'll pick up both.

To my eyes most of the engines are strong, others that I read were favorable- Caissa, Chess Genius, Cyber Chess, but the overall polish of Deep Green appealed to me.

All the chess programs can put out graphic pieces and strong play, but playing with Deep Green is more like taking out an old chess set and sitting down with a fine dessert.

The developer is nice and responsive in his forum group and mentioned other features down the road so the beauty is not just skin deep. Besides I had PocketChess on the Palm which is the engine tweaked in DG so it's like seeing an old friend.

Odd, but as my 9 app pages are filling up with, I'm finding that I want to save up for the more polished games like Deep Green.

Best,
tony
01-06-2009, 02:29 AM
@ gcl

Can you please tell me if Deep Green has statistics (winnings/losses)?

Thanks.

01-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Chess with Friends(free) is pretty fun!
01-06-2009, 03:00 AM
@Carlos-Sz
Nope, not yet....

We agree with you!
There's a statistics plea thread at the forum group and the dev mentioned he will see how to get that in.

I'm looking forward to it <fingers crossed> as I like stats after playing Motion X Poker and IQ Boost - internally motivating.
01-06-2009, 04:22 AM
My wife is after one that will actually teach you how to play too, or at least show you the basics (how different pieces move in their own ways for example). Is there one that could be recommended for this?
01-07-2009, 01:57 AM
A lot of the apps do the my 'engine is better than your engine' thing as a competitive feature, so not many cater to learning and training. Which is a shame and maybe an untapped niche market?!

My fave for mobile learning was Chessmaster: the art of learning for the Nintendo DS, it had training tactics, games, puzzles, etc.

I can't vouch for this as I haven't tried it, but Chess Classics mentions tutorial and quiz modes to learn official rules. Also Chess Pro has a new feature of 'chess learning' whatever that means.

Once she gets good, I guess t Chess Pro or Chess Genius which has the analysis lines.

I'd probably just learn the rules online and save the bottomless .99 cent account for a better app, like above or Deep Green, ftw.

Good idea to read some reviews beforehand, though.
01-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcl View Post
@Carlos-Sz
Nope, not yet....

We agree with you!
There's a statistics plea thread at the forum group and the dev mentioned he will see how to get that in.

I'm looking forward to it <fingers crossed> as I like stats after playing Motion X Poker and IQ Boost - internally motivating.

Deep Green sounds a nice game but without statistics and with such price tag it's not a good deal for me right now.

Thank you for your reply and keeps us informed about it please!