★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: which is the best rpg?

01-05-2009, 04:59 PM
which is the best rpg?

If you were to choose from the four rpgs out right now (arvale, inotia, vay, and dungeon and hero) which one would you say is best? I've been wanting an rpg but i'm on the fence about them so far.

sorry for not specifying(first post here) but yeah it needs to have pretty decent graphics, some form of a story, side quests, as to the fighting style i really don't care, a decent amount of items, and some form of a leveling up system that includes increasing stats.

Last edited by nooobynick; 01-05-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: incomplete post
01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
yup! those are the best

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago

01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooobynick View Post
If you were to choose from the four rpgs out right now (arvale, inotia, vay, and dungeon and hero) which one would you say is best? I've been wanting an rpg but i'm on the fence about them so far.
You really need to specify the kind of things that are most important, because I don't think anyone can easily argue that any of them are perfect. Do you need good graphics, a good story, turn-based vs hack and slash combat? Lots of items, customisation, single player vs groups?
01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
I've got Vay and Inotia and to be honest they are both pretty weak. I can't say about Arvale because don't have that one. I just bought Dungeon & Hero so I can't comment on that one yet :-) So I really can't say which one is the best, because I think none of those four are truly great.
01-05-2009, 05:05 PM
So far I prefer Arvale over the others. It has a decent story and a lot of humor to go with it.
01-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
Don't overlook Imprisoned! either. It's not a traditional RPG like the others, but it has a lot of RPG elements, like leveling up, skill point distribution, items, combat, item synthesizing, and an interesting story. I personally have put a lot of time into that compared to the others, and I own all of them except D&H.
01-05-2009, 05:13 PM
O I forgot about Imprisoned! I got that one too and it's okay. Like terrett101 says its not like the other rpg games on the iPhone but different in a good way. I personally like the isometric view. On a side note, the developer of Imprisoned! has another rpg game coming for iPhone, Dragon Sword, which looks pretty promising. I'm waiting for that one
01-05-2009, 05:17 PM
dungeon and hero by far.

I LOVE A P P L E !
01-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItouchBrett View Post
dungeon and hero by far.
You've already sold me on that one
01-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I've tried two so far. Vay and Arvale.

Vay was OK but to be honest I found it boring after I played half way through. I really forced myself to keep playing it through to the end. Also the inventory system was pretty clunky and it was awkward to navigate around it. When I finished Vay I deleted it and haven't played it again.

Arvale was much better than Vay. I found the controls really easy to use (there are 3 methods of controlling movement). I also liked the weapons and armour system where each has a limited number of uses. This forced me to actually use and purchase a wide range of weapons and armour, whereas I would normally find a good weapon and armour and then just stick to that. The graphics are OK but what really makes Arvale so much fun is the humour.

While Arvale is so much better than Vay it is not perfect. Arvale suffers in three main areas. Be aware of them but don't let them put you off playing Arvale. I still really enjoyed it and had a great time playing.
1) Linear - while there are some optional side quests, the story line is very linear.
2) Limited stats - With each level up you can choose from only 3 stats: Dexterity, Strength and Knowledge. These do influence other statistics but I would have liked more options.
3) Easy - At first the difficulty level does ramp up nicely but after a while I found it to be easy. By the end of the game I was a level 56 and the bosses were really easy to kill. The "big" endgame boss was so easy to defeat. I found it no challenge at all.

I haven't tried Inotia because other users posted here that it's a "grind heavy" rpg with little to no story line. And I don't usually enjoy rpg's with heavy grinding and little story lines. My preferred rpg is one that has a good mixture of story line and dungeons.

I'm waiting to for some user reviews on Dungeon & Hero before I jump into that one (OK so I am also waiting to see how long my self-control lasts before I give in and buy it!)