★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Multiplayer Gaming - Questions

11-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Multiplayer Gaming - Questions

Hey guys,

I was hoping I could get some of your personal feelings about multiplayer in iPhone games, since you are here due to your avid interest in iPhone gaming and likely have your own opinions.

This is going to be a bit of a mix of public forum for debate and a focus group.

My questions:

1. On a scale of 1 - 10, how important is multiplayer, either Bluetooth or WiFi, in your decision making of purchasing a game?

2. Would you download a game for $2.99 that is not currently multiplayer enabled and pay an additional $.99 for multiplayer mode(s)?

3. Does a game turn you off if it is ONLY multiplayer enabled? Such as DinoSmash Online, etc?

I'll have more questions for you later as we continue this discussions. Thanks for your feedback and remember, this is all a matter of personal preference, so no one here is wrong, unless of course you say you hate video games in which case Shun the unbeliever!

Game Designer and Producer of Trenches, Evertales, and more!

| Follow me on Twitter or EMAIL ME |
11-21-2009, 05:16 PM
1. Personally I don't care much for multiplayer unless it is online (I have never used local wifi or bluetooth). So I'd say multiplayer is about a 6.

2. Sure I would. $2.99 isn't a bad price if the game is great, and I'm sure others would be willing to spend a dollar more for multiplayer.

3. YES. I really dislike games that require wifi to play and don't offer a single player mode.

11-21-2009, 05:22 PM
1. depends on the nature of the game..I'll go with 5
2. sure, but I'd prefer it to be online (like Seishu I've never used local wifi or bluetooth except when I was playing around with it at an Apple store. al my friends are cheapasses and don't buy any games)
3. yes probably. can't get wi-fi everywhere
11-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seishu View Post
1. Personally I don't care much for multiplayer unless it is online (I have never used local wifi or bluetooth). So I'd say multiplayer is about a 6.

2. Sure I would. $2.99 isn't a bad price if the game is great, and I'm sure others would be willing to spend a dollar more for multiplayer. Do you think the main populace would see this as a negative and slam the developer for exploiting/ripping off users?

3. YES. I really dislike games that require wifi to play and don't offer a single player mode.
I responded in red above.

11-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Jones View Post
Hey guys,

I was hoping I could get some of your personal feelings about multiplayer in iPhone games, since you are here due to your avid interest in iPhone gaming and likely have your own opinions.

This is going to be a bit of a mix of public forum for debate and a focus group.

My questions:

1. On a scale of 1 - 10, how important is multiplayer, either Bluetooth or WiFi, in your decision making of purchasing a game?

2. Would you download a game for $2.99 that is not currently multiplayer enabled and pay an additional $.99 for multiplayer mode(s)?

3. Does a game turn you off if it is ONLY multiplayer enabled? Such as DinoSmash Online, etc?

I'll have more questions for you later as we continue this discussions. Thanks for your feedback and remember, this is all a matter of personal preference, so no one here is wrong, unless of course you say you hate video games in which case Shun the unbeliever!
Well, considering that I currently don't have Wifi, the first answer is pretty much a 2. If the online is that awesome I'll download and play it at someone's house (Like with Eliminate. But that's free)

As for the second, most likely not. I find paying for half the game to be a stupid concept. It's like saying "Ok, we'll give you half the game that you paid full price for, then make you pay a bit more for the rest." If anything, it should be added in a free update.

Multiplayer only games usually turn me off. Even after getting Wifi (which is probably going to be tomorrow) there's alot of times I can't play online, or just don't want to. Besides, almost every single of my favorite games don't even have online features. Single player truly makes a game for me, and making it multiplayer only really takes away from what it really could have been.
11-21-2009, 05:39 PM
local wifi: 3 (I have the software update so I dont really care)
Bluetooth: 5
Online: 10 (!!!)

2. it depends what game. If it sucks I wouldnt bother with the .99 cent multiplayer. But if the gameplay/concept is good and the multiplayer is well implemented then go for it!

3. depends. If it's online then im cool with it (unless it lags or no one goes online) If its only local wifi and bluetooth then hell no
11-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da shiz wiz 19 View Post
3.depends. If it's online then im cool with it (unless it lags or no one goes online) If its only local wifi and bluetooth then hell no
You bring up a point. I was playing iFPS Online the day it came out for free, and there was one single server. I went online, and lagged so badly I couldn't even move. It was like that time I tried to play COD4 on my pc. Then I kept getting killed by the one other person online and then the game crashed. That's when online is just no fun whatsoever.
11-21-2009, 05:43 PM
As I thought, some of you would say that developers should implement multiplayer at the core of the game without any extra charge.

The reason that I asked is because in these ever-changing AppStore times and conditions, making profit is becomingly increasingly hard. (At least there are no more Fart Apps in the Top 50!!!)

So the idea is that a solid single player game gets shipped but for a reduced price non-multiplayer people don't need to be extra for something they won't use but if you want the multiplayer, you can have it.

Of course, this also limits the # of online users so getting people in games would become a concern.

11-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Jones View Post
As I thought, some of you would say that developers should implement multiplayer at the core of the game without any extra charge.

The reason that I asked is because in these ever-changing AppStore times and conditions, making profit is becomingly increasingly hard. (At least there are no more Fart Apps in the Top 50!!!)

So the idea is that a solid single player game gets shipped but for a reduced price non-multiplayer people don't need to be extra for something they won't use but if you want the multiplayer, you can have it.

Of course, this also limits the # of online users so getting people in games would become a concern.
You do bring up a point... If anything, I'd say to charge for extras IN multiplayer, and not for the mode alone. This way, we all get what we payed for, but if you want that experience enhanced, then you can pay a bit more. For example, charging for multiplayer map packs would be a great way to bring in some extra cash without resorting to cheap tactics like making people pay for the mode. Maps, skins, and maybe an extra character or weapon or other thing like that without making it so that those who buy it have the upper hand are the things to sell. Just if selling characters/weapons, if they're over/under powered, no one's going to buy, as it'd be way too cheap/detrimental.
11-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
You do bring up a point... If anything, I'd say to charge for extras IN multiplayer, and not for the mode alone. This way, we all get what we payed for, but if you want that experience enhanced, then you can pay a bit more. For example, charging for multiplayer map packs would be a great way to bring in some extra cash without resorting to cheap tactics like making people pay for the mode. Maps, skins, and maybe an extra character or weapon or other thing like that without making it so that those who buy it have the upper hand are the things to sell. Just if selling characters/weapons, if they're over/under powered, no one's going to buy, as it'd be way too cheap/detrimental.
That is actually a great idea. Glad I had this forum created.

So, for example, if we were doing an RTS with a fantasy based theme (think Lord of the Rings) with the main factions of Human vs. Orc, would you be willing to pay for additional factions, such as Elves or Dwarves, etc? (Being fully balanced, of course.)