★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Vir2L Studios
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 15.9 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Challenge demons and the heavens above with Sun Wukong, the Monkey King! Journey far, from the Mountains of Flowers and Fruit to the Pillars of Heaven. Using cunning, a magical staff and expert martial arts, not even the gods can stand in the way of the fierce Sun Wukong as he battles to seize enlightenment from the hand of Buddha.

Wukong Warrior features:

Reach for the golden pillars as you strike through green bamboo groves and traverse the beautiful realms of cherry blossom-covered mountains, fields of ice, and volcanic caves.
Leap through 21 levels by drawing clouds from thin air.
Play as five different incarnations of Sun Wukong, each with a different attack.
Trace patterns on the screen to perform counter-attacks, and rise against all who would block your path to the heavens.
Engage in combat with legendary beasts such as Ko-Tengu, Vampires, and Imps in your journey to defeat the five Dragon bosses.
Gather Enlightenment Scrolls to unlock the secrets of warrior wisdom.

*** Movement Tip ***

While jumping takes some practice, you should be able to glide around the levels with ease. Remember that Sun Wukong will jump to wherever you draw a cloud. If you draw a cloud farther away from him, he will attempt to jump there, no matter how far away. With some practice you can easily direct him around the level by strategically drawing clouds rather than constantly swiping at the screen.
11-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Haha, I guess I'll TOFTT on this one. Looks cool.

11-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Kunning View Post
Haha, I guess I'll TOFTT on this one. Looks cool.
please let us know

11-22-2009, 12:08 AM
I couldn't pass up a game featuring the Monkey King -- he just rocks. I just finished the first level and so far the game is conceptually very interesting but lacking a bit in the polish department. Imagine if you combined doodle jump, draw slasher, and a platformer -- that pretty much describes Wukong Warrior. I have to admire the ambition of the developers, and the fact that they make the combination work (for the most part) is commendable. Unfortunately, the basic mechanic of drawing a cloud with a swipe (very cool, by the way) is a bit wonky -- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The game has a pretty extensive help/tutorial screens that pop in through the first level (at least), but the text fades in too slowly, and if you happen to tap on it, you end up skipping to the next page of the message before you can read the first one (sometimes the texts even overlap, making them both unreadable). The character animation is a bit primitive, though it works for the most part. Frame-rate is decent, but considering the simplicity of the animation, I would expect 60 FPS throughout. Level design is a big plus, so far. Combat involves simple slashing across enemies, except for a few mini-bosses that require you to draw specific lines to be defeat them. After a certain point you're supposed to be able to transfor yourself in to different creatures -- looking forward to that. It only saves at the end of the level; one nice feature is that you can go back to the level after finishing so that you can collect any missed goodies.

I'll definitely keep playing it...
11-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Neat game. I'm mostly interested in it because of the association with the novel.
Do you get to move left and right or is it mainly vertical jumps? Are there controls for that?
12-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Neat game. I'm mostly interested in it because of the association with the novel.
Do you get to move left and right or is it mainly vertical jumps? Are there controls for that?
I just saw that you've asked this question -- guessed the thread disappeared too quickly for me to notice. Movement left and right (both on the ground and in the air) is tilt based. For all intents and purposes, most of the movement involves drawing clouds to jump. In theory you should be able to draw smooth paths to get you around the levels, but because the game doesn't register the swipes as fast as it should, it all a bit choppy. I also finally got to read the tutorial page on drawing specific patters on the screen, and it's actually a defensive move when you get too close to an enemy (not a boss fight, as I stated earlier).

I actually got a PM from the developer about a week ago, and they are working on an update, which hopefully deals with the more frustrating aspects of the game. I think there's a lot of potential here, and all it will take is a bit of control tightening to make a really neat title.

BTW, Aurora, I read a beautifully illustrated version of Journey to the West when I was in middle school -- many years ago -- and it's always stuck with me. Would give anything to find that illustrated edition again, but, sadly, it's long gone (I don't even know the name of the artist).
12-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Found some video: