★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Difficulty of Super Monkey Ball

View Poll Results: What is the level of difficulty of Super Monkey Ball?
Very Easy 2 4.88%
Easy 2 4.88%
Just Right 8 19.51%
Challenging 24 58.54%
Impossible 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll
01-06-2009, 12:42 AM
#1
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 550
Difficulty of Super Monkey Ball

I have heard people say that super monkey ball is a really hard game because of the controls. What do you guys think about the hardness? It would be nice if you could give some details.
01-06-2009, 12:47 AM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 135
I personally love this game. it took a little bit to get used to the controls, but after a couple weeks of playing constantly, I beat the game . 110 levels. to tell you the truth, most people just bought the game on launch day and then played maybe 5 or 6 levels and put it down and never touched it again but the difficulty isnt THAT hard. a couple of levels are really hard but its a fun game.

01-06-2009, 12:51 AM
#3
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolis View Post
I personally love this game. it took a little bit to get used to the controls, but after a couple weeks of playing constantly, I beat the game . 110 levels. to tell you the truth, most people just bought the game on launch day and then played maybe 5 or 6 levels and put it down and never touched it again but the difficulty isnt THAT hard. a couple of levels are really hard but its a fun game.
I heard you have to collect all the bananas in all the levels to advance to the next world or something, did that bother you at all?
01-06-2009, 12:53 AM
#4
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Orange View Post
I heard you have to collect all the bananas in all the levels to advance to the next world or something, did that bother you at all?
you dont have to collect ALL the bananas. all you have to do is get to the exit. and if you collect 10 bananas you get a life. it helps to get the bananas but u dont have to get them.
01-06-2009, 12:58 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolis View Post
you dont have to collect ALL the bananas. all you have to do is get to the exit. and if you collect 10 bananas you get a life. it helps to get the bananas but u dont have to get them.
so if you get to the goals of all the levels you can advance to the next world?
01-06-2009, 01:03 AM
#6
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Orange View Post
so if you get to the goals of all the levels you can advance to the next world?
Yup. Thats it. i dont know why people think its soooooo hard. All my friends who have it, havent even gotten half way through world one because they gave up on it. wat a waste of 10 dollars
01-06-2009, 01:05 AM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 550
Thank a lot! You have been very helpful!
01-06-2009, 01:11 AM
#8
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 8
It is really not that hard there are a few levels (really not many) where there is a certain "luck factor" involved (you just try to blindly move into the right direction and hope to hit elevating platforms etc. at the right time). There are levels that I have solved instantly the first time I tried them, and then failed some 20 times thereafter. It's a monkey game after all.

The difficulty is really what makes this game fun (and it is fun)... it sometimes makes you feel like a complete monkey (not even a chimp), and sometimes you just fly through several difficult levels in a row. The player is a bit like a guinea pig in a maze - once failed you cannot even continue where you left off, they always put you back to the first level of a world. If it would be easier, it would be quite pointless.
01-06-2009, 01:27 AM
#9
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,351
Agreed. After the first few levels you'll be put to the test, but spending a good amount of time on the hard levels in the game are always a good preparation for the later levels, so you'll benefit from spending time on the game.
It's challenging, but would it be worth the money if you'd get through the game in a day?

(Just a note: I finished all levels except for the last one, and only got all the banana's on the first 10 levels)

Stefan
01-06-2009, 01:38 AM
#10
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 1,401
Yeah, I have a really hard time believing anybody can beat ALL 110 levels...
But yeah, it's pretty damn challenging. The trick is to move as fast as you can and just zoom though the levels (pretty much what dreyfus2 said)...