★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Making a Game

11-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Making a Game

If I wanted to make a game for the iPod, where would I start? I know it's a broad question, but I really want to start doing something to start some sort of game-making career. I'm only 14, but hearing from other people who are of or around my age that have made games that are in the App Store really inspired me.

Basically, I just want to know what programs/tools I need to make a game that could play on the iPod. Thanks.

Bone digger Bone digger
11-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendog View Post
If I wanted to make a game for the iPod, where would I start? I know it's a broad question, but I really want to start doing something to start some sort of game-making career. I'm only 14, but hearing from other people who are of or around my age that have made games that are in the App Store really inspired me.

Basically, I just want to know what programs/tools I need to make a game that could play on the iPod. Thanks.
You need a Mac, Xcode (from Apple's site), Interface Builder, $99 (for the iPhone Dev Program), a couple of books, and banking accounts (unless you want to make a free game).

Last edited by kohjingyu; 11-22-2009 at 09:43 PM.

11-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi Tendog!

You'll need a mac first thing... then download the sdk on your mac. It can be obtained here:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/

It's free to register and download the sdk...

But once you register... you can download the sdk and begin coding on your Mac right away... but you can only run your programs on the "simulator"...

But to test on a real device, and to actually sell your apps you'll need to be in the paid developer program... ($99/year)

I hope other under-18 developers chime in here with their experience... You'll need to ask your parents to deal with tax/legal stuff/banking stuff...

Just dive right into it... Work hard... and you'll be able to do it... there will be moments when you think nothing is going to fix your program... but we all face those moments... just stick with it... and slowly but surely your skills will improve...

Last edited by arkanigon; 11-22-2009 at 09:08 PM.
11-22-2009, 09:03 PM
learn programming
11-22-2009, 10:55 PM
The latest flash can export an iPhone app from windows. I think that's the cheapest route you've got right now, if you don't have a mac.
11-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. Now all I need is a mac.

Bone digger Bone digger
11-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who replied. Now all I need is a mac.
Maybe Santa will help you with that If not, work hard, save your money, and before you know it you will have a new mac!
11-23-2009, 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenoclone View Post
The latest flash can export an iPhone app from windows. I think that's the cheapest route you've got right now, if you don't have a mac.
Don't you still have to codesign the binary somehow with xcode though?
11-23-2009, 03:51 AM
Quote:

way to go kid!
11-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Send a message via MSN to tukun
1. Get a macbook or mac mini.

2. Buy books. If you never done any programming before then I'd recommended "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming" by Michael Dawson. Its only 20 bucks on Amazon.

3. If you already have some experience with computer programming then buy some cocoa and iphonesdk book(maybe someone here can suggest some good books).

4. Learn graphic API. if you never done any graphic programming before then OpenGL could be difficult and time consuming. The complexity can be demoralizing . So its best you choose some already build graphic library. I'd recommend Cocos2d for iphone.

This is the 4 big steps that I think are compusalry for anyone who want to jump into iphone game developments. Ive skipped out other small step like: learning the Mac OS, Xcode IDE,... if you never use them before, it will also take sometime to get used to.