★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Game of the Year

11-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Game of the Year

Seeing that we nearing end of the year, I thought it would be fun to start putting up some nominations for the above, and some assorted categories as well for the iDevice gaming for 2009.

Best Graphics Technical

1. Modern Combat
2. Real Racing
3. Backbreaker

Choice: Modern Combat for giving a fantastically smooth 3D FPS environment with great detail, textures and even lighting even on older iDevices

Best Graphics Design

1. Rolando 2
2. Toki Tori
3. Castle of Magic

Choice: Rolando 2 for very unique character and level designs and giving a 2.5D sheen to it this year as well

Best Sound

1. Modern Combat
2. Eliminate
3. Minigore

Choice: MC for giving a truly cinematic and Band of Bros like quality, and providing almost all voice work combined with great sound effects and a rousing score to augment.

Best Music

1. Castle of Magic
2. Minigore
3. Adrenaline Golf

Choice: CoM for proving a wonderfully atmospheric and orchestral soundtrack

Best Puzzler

1. Orbital
2. Ancient Frog
3. Azkend

Choice: Orbital for a simple yet very addictive gaming experience in 5 min bursts

Best Sports

1. Backbreaker
2. Real Football 2010
3. Tiger Woods PGA Tour

Choice: Backbreaker for despite not a full football game, gives a very realistic and more fun football experience than any other game on iDevice this year. RF 2010 and TW however were really very solid sports games with full features that is comparable to handheld consoles anytime.

Best Strategy

1. Star Defense
2. Tower Madness
3. Castle Warriors

Choice: Star Defense for having the most polished of all TW games. Note I have not played C&C yet.

Best Shooter 2D

1. Meteor Blitz
2. Isotope
3. Space Invader Infinity

Choice: Meteor Blitz for coming out of nowhere and being highly polished and addictive and smooth all at once.

Best Shooter FPS/Third Person

1. Modern Combat
2. Eliminate
3. COD Zombies

Choice: Eliminate and this being a very close call among 3 very fantastic shooters for iDevice, something not imaginable just 12 months ago. Note id failure to show up for me as they were a huge letdown in this area for just rehashing all classics at ridiculously high prices.

Best Casual

1. Smashed
2. Luxor
3. Castle Frenzy

Choice: Tie between Castle Frenzy and Smashed, 2 very recent games that have occupied my coffee breaks and waiting for the missus periods.

Best Adventure

1. Secret of Monkey Island
2. Mysterious Island

Choice: SoM gets my vote for bringing a successful and very excellent classic adventure to the iPhone and updating it in the process. id pls note.

Best RPG

1. Dungeon Hunter
2. Ravensword
3. Zenonia

Choice: DH for bringing another console/PC experience to the iDevice successfully.

Best Racing Game

1. Real Racing
2. Asphalt 5
3. Rally Master Pro

Choice: Asphalt by just a whisker over RR as A5 gave me more fun over the long run. Close call also.

Best Original IDevice Game

1. Spider
2. Smashed
3. Ancient Frog

Choice: Ancient Frog for being so fresh and beautiful and zen like. Zen Bound didnt qualify for me as it was originally conceived for PC or some other platform.

Best Multiplayer Game

1. Eliminate
2. Homerun Battle 3D

Choice: Eliminate for just taking the online iDevice community by storm, though HB 3D did occupy that spot for some time. And COD, I just feel is not yet complete in this area, though its fun still.

Biggest disappointment so far

Namco/Capcom/Sega - for 3 very legendary gaming companies, they have not only stuttered on this new platform, but been charging way too high. EA is guilty of some titles as well, but fortunately, is balanced out by some very good quality ones. Sega Sega Sega, for someone who had the biggest selling game of 2008, where are you apart from bad ports of Sonic and Golden Axe?

Capcom is trying very hard, but seriously they can do so much better for this arcade giant. And Namco, where are the international releases???

Biggest surprise so far

No premium app stores for the giants, which is very good news to me. I personally feel the success of Apple app store depends on good quality games at the lowest price with the best distribution channel possible - digitally.

Best gaming company

This is a tie between ngmoco and Gameloft.

ngmoco for being innovative, and setting up plus network so elegantly and comprehensively and insisting on only original IP for their games. Eliminate, Touchpet Dogs, Star Defense, Rolando 2 are all testament to their innovation and boldness and is paying off now, especially for in app purchases, and being the first company to do it successfully.

Gameloft despite being heavily criticized for ripping console and PC games as their own, deserves high praise for bringing high quality, groundbreaking 3D graphics and production values to this very new platform and consistency in bringing out not just loads of games but equally, each one a very solid one at worst. Here's hoping gameloft will devote more time now with the success they have had to develop some new original content in 2010.

Game of the Year

1. Eliminate
2. Modern Combat
3. Gangstar
4. Backbreaker
5. Meteor Blitz

Choice: Gangstar for being the 1st iDevice game to bring a full console like experience to the platform with a smooth 3D engine and a full sandbox environment. MC and Eliminate has shown how FPS can be achieved successfully both for single player campaign and multiplayer deathmatch/online. Backbreaker and Meteor Blitz shows that iDevices need not need console playing time, but brilliant short 5 min bursts of goodness on the go, something which the device is best suited for.
11-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Its a tie between ngmoco and gameloft, but ngmoco has only 4 "good" games, while gameloft has more than 20.

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon

11-23-2009, 08:50 PM

11-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Your nominations, your winners, your personal statements... and I often disagree

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
11-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Terrible, terrible list.

7/26/10-- Matt Garza throws first no-hitter in Rays history!
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki View Post
It may strike you as disrespectful to ask questions, that's ok, it strikes me as stupid not to.
11-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Thread of the year.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
11-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Brazilian Rider View Post
Terrible, terrible list.

IMO gameloft wins the crown for everything

Plus+: MiniMe ~ OF: Problem ~ Gameloft: Change ~ AGON: Negamaki
11-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Horrid list and posted in the wrong place.

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*
11-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Negamaki View Post

IMO gameloft wins the crown for everything

+1 thread closed

Twitter: @back2this
11-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Eliminate is definitely not the game of the year.

Beta Testing/ed: Undercroft, Baseball Superstars 2010, Battle for Wesnoth, Fuzion, Twilight Golf, Indestructible Tank, Nanomechs Online Multi, Plushed, Ground Effect, Castlecraft, Inotia 2, Boom it Up, Guerrilla Bob, Caligo Chaser, Vanquish, IMO, Crunchy Orbs, Zenonia 2, Luna Story, Aralon, Shadow Era, Hybrid 2