★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Nathan Gray
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 32.5 MB
  • Version: 2.5.0
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: "The whole thing is marvelous. The graphics are really stellar, and the controls are obvious, and perfect." -TheAppEra.com

"Hexalex delivers a fun word gaming experience that will delight Scrabble gamers." -BuzzFocus.com

* Featured by Apple: Staff Favorites and App Store's New and Noteworthy!

* Gold Award, 9.5/10 - GamersDailyNews.com

* Gizmodo: Week's Best Apps

* MacWorld: 4/5 Mice

* TUAW Daily App
Introducing HexaLex

Wordgame fans, meet the world's first hexagonal crossword game. HexaLex takes the classic, easy to learn but hard to master game and adds a new dimension. Hexagonal tiles let you play words in three directions instead of two. Words interact in surprising ways! But have no fear, thanks to the innovative instant feedback system, tutorial, and detailed built-in help, you'll be laying down major scores in no time. If you're hooked on Scrabble or Words With Friends you're going to love HexaLex!

* 2-4 player online games, with push notifications when it's your turn.

* Feed your inner geek with extensive stats and records tracked in each game and over your career.

* Leaderboards & over 30 Medals, with or without Game Center

* 4 computer opponents for single-player gaming.

* Play online games in the plane or on the subway! Your moves will be sent the next time you've got an internet connection.

* All the tools demanding crossword gamers love, including tile shuffle, dictionary search, and a 2-letter word list.

"Every one of us needs to snatch this up." - TheAppEra.com

"I will go out and say that this is even better than the traditional" - AppAdvice.com

"...fans of Scrabble will be immediately at home as soon as they start up this great app." - PlatformNation.com

"...for fans of Scrabble or word-games this is definitely a great implementation of a classic game." - AppSpy.com, 4/5

"Seriously, playing Scrabble now seems ghetto." - iTunes review
11-24-2009, 11:52 PM
This looks very interesting. Anyone planning on TOFTT?

11-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Does anyone have contact with the dev? I'd like to know what the network and social integration means.
11-25-2009, 11:20 AM
on sale for 99 cents

Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
11-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi folks, I'm the dev.

Originally Posted by cprloe View Post
This looks very interesting. Anyone planning on TOFTT?
If you're willing to write a review here (and preferably on the App Store too) I'll gladly give you a promo code. PM me if you're interested. I won't insist on a positive review of course, but please be fair and thoughtful. I think you'll find the game is pretty solid -- I've put a LOT of time and thought into it. Of course, right now there's the slight problem of not being able to PLAY the game on OS 3 devices.

BTW, that bug was a super-rare freak build-time bug that nobody in the dev community has figured out. If I'd been able to test the build before sending it to Apple I'd have caught that in a second, but developers can't install App Store builds on their devices. You'd think Apple's crack team of eagle-eyed reviewers might have noticed that the game wasn't playable during 4 days of testing...

Originally Posted by viensanity View Post
Does anyone have contact with the dev? I'd like to know what the network and social integration means.
I replied to viensanity by email, but for everyone else's sake here's what I said:

My plan for network play is to create a version for
Facebook (at least, maybe other networks depending on ease of
integration). You will be able to play network games on FB and iPhone
interchangeably, playing one turn on iPhone and the next on FB. There
will be in-game chat, and everything will update in realtime.

(Snip some stuff I don't want my competitors to know about...)

In addition to Facebook I'm also looking at OpenFeint, but a lot
depends on how that will merge with FB. I do not intend this to be an
iPhone-only product and I'm not yet sure how well OpenFeint will
integrate with other platforms.
I'll be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

I'm new here (thanks Google!) so maybe you can answer a question for me. Was HexaLex posted here because it caught someone's interest, or is every new game posted? I assume it's the latter but it would be cool if it was the former.

PS -- I don't know if you're the ones I have to thank for this, but my UNPLAYABLE game reached #68 in the word game category. In the UK it even reached #52! Utterly astonishing to see it do that well with both hands tied behind its back.
11-26-2009, 09:16 PM
pm sent
11-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I bought it, so i can leave a review after the update.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
11-26-2009, 09:17 PM
PM sent.
11-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Wow, you guys are fast! Ok, maybe I'd better limit this to the first 10 requests. I'll send out the codes later tonight or tomorrow -- my laptop is in the way of Thanksgiving dinner and my wife is starting to get annoyed.
11-27-2009, 04:56 PM
BTW, I'm going to try to put together a gameplay video in the next few days to show you what you'll get once Apple approves the update.