★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: play ipod music over any app!!!

01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
play ipod music over any app!!!

Here's al little iphone/ipod trick for those looking to play there music library over apps.

Let's say for instance i want to play my own music over SimCity. My first instinct would be start the song and start the app, but to no avail SimCity cuts off the music

heres a backdoor: start the app, let it load to the menu screen, then hit the sleep/wake button.

then with screen off double tap the home button which will bring up ypur ipod controls, start it up, then slide to unlock.

wa-la you've just no fooled the device into playing music over the app you just loaded.

most of the time the games sounds will be muted as well but i thought this to be a neat little trick
01-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Send a message via AIM to Herp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStaR View Post
Here's al little iphone/ipod trick for those looking to play there music library over apps.

Let's say for instance i want to play my own music over SimCity. My first instinct would be start the song and start the app, but to no avail SimCity cuts off the music

heres a backdoor: start the app, let it load to the menu screen, then hit the sleep/wake button.

then with screen off double tap the home button which will bring up ypur ipod controls, start it up, then slide to unlock.

wa-la you've just no fooled the device into playing music over the app you just loaded.

most of the time the games sounds will be muted as well but i thought this to be a neat little trick
Or you could just double-tap the home button during the game.

It's a neat trick, but I think most people already know of it.

01-06-2009, 07:30 PM
genius

I LOVE A P P L E !
01-06-2009, 07:31 PM
P.S.

if you want a specific song.....start it in ipod, then stop it. before you continue with the first step.

Note: you can still control the music menu while playing the app by double tapping home and bringing up the ipod controls
01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
yeah i figured most might know of it, but i just read some people saying that they could'nt play ther music so thought i'd put it out there
01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Quote:
yeah i figured most might know of it, but i just read some people saying that they could'nt play ther music so thought i'd put it out there
Yeah, some games stop the music you have playing and plays it's own, even if you did it this way.

One example is CBNK3D.
01-06-2009, 07:36 PM
@Herp: good point,
I would say my approach is for those that use the double taps first function as phone favorites,
01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
that blows....ok maybe not "ant app" but most lol
01-06-2009, 07:39 PM
*any app
01-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Quote:
that blows....ok maybe not "ant app" but most lol
Yeah, but I prefer when games allow me to still use their sound effects with my music.