Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-26-2009, 08:58 PM
The Bearded One
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk666 View Post
Nope, the only reason they changed it to SyFy is because they have no hope of defending a SciFi trademark. They would LOVED to trademark SciFi if that is actually enforceable. Who wouldn't!?!?!
Hmmmm, interesting. I honestly don't know anything about that situation, but now I'm curious. I'll have to get lost down that rabbit hole sometime.

Quote:
Well, the other ragdoll games didn't call their game Max Dismount or iDismount so the example about EA doing Asphalt Racing is moot. Do a search on Asphalt. Games such as Rally Master, Fastlane, Burning Tires and Moto Racer showed up. Did Gameloft try to get them to remove the keyword Asphalt???

Like meridianGTX kept pointing out. It is always the weaker product that is trying to get a leg up with sidewinder tricks like these and it isn't good PR for gamers who follow the news. I respect their right to pursue but they should also respect that this case do has some points similar to Tim Langdell's case.

You're right, it is not all black and white. If Tim Langdell is on the black side, Secret Exit would be somewhere on the gray side and not the white end of things.
Another hmmmmmm. I see what you mean. Let me ask an honest question. If the two devs had discussed the matter privately, and iDD willingly took the keyword out, and then you happened to hear about it, would you condemn Secret Exit in the same way? I guess I feel like Secret Exit are just doing what they are obligated to do to protect their trademark, and others are thinking it's shady and they're worried about sales. I don't think that's true, but I could be wrong. After all, it IS all about making money. But my feeling is that in this particular situation Secret Exit wasn't acting with malicious intent.

Plainly, do you guys feel that they are not within their right doing this? Or they are within their right, but the fact that they're doing it is what you're frowning upon?

Edit: ^^^Sorry to go on about the subject! Ummmmm, also, I'm in love with this game That new staircase looks awesome!

Last edited by Boardumb; 11-26-2009 at 09:00 PM..
Old 11-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Administrator
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Nope, the only reason they changed it to SyFy is because they have no hope of defending a SciFi trademark. They would LOVED to trademark SciFi if that is actually enforceable. Who wouldn't!?!?!
Ok. My last post on this topic too. The funny thing is SciFi is trademarkable if you were using it for something other than SciFi-related topic. If I wanted to create a computer called the "SciFi", I could trademark it. So it's not just being a common word, it's using it in a non-obvious way. (hence, Apple, Windows)

arn
Old 11-26-2009, 09:10 PM
The Bearded One
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

On topic, please add the following level in an update :

Old 11-26-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueseas25 View Post
Aka, done for anti-piracy reasons.

Good move I say.
I think OS 3.1 actually does have some improvements that were made to the graphics driver.

I bought the game and played for good 40 minutes - definitely worth the price, it has lots and lots and lots of polish!

Few ideas:

For some reason I started thinking about iBlast Moki and how cool it would be to aim the ragdoll at cetain objects... ie. get extra points for hitting certain objects in the stairs.

At the moment it's a bit hard to tell how much you're damaging the puppet because there's only that brief sign of coloring on the rag doll right after it takes damage. It flashes red but maybe the part could become more and more worn out as it accumulates damage (but keep the red flashes in addition to that - they work very well).

Another thing I would like to see is some increase in the maximum force you can apply - maybe vary it depending on level so it doesn't spoil the smaller levels, at the moment it's a bit too reserved for my taste. Stiletto is fun but I would like something even wilder like the stairs of a ski jumping tower hehe

Also it would be funny if the character yelled something silly as you push it off the ledge, but I know Apple can be sensitive about that sort of thing so it's definitely risky move.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARDUMB View Post

That there...would be AMAZING
Old 11-26-2009, 10:13 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Timo's ideas are great, for the damage another good solution would be to have the limbs gradually get more and more red with the damage, the same way it's shown on the damage stats screen... but actually in-game.

Plus... the thing that BOARDUMB posted. Obviously it doesn't have to be quite as polished and detailed as that but it's certainly a cool theme for a level.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARDUMB View Post

That's a good way to think outside the box.

I've finally decided to pick up Stair Dismount. I'll be back later with my thoughts. In case anyone wonders, my decision to pick up the game was made after watching this thread, obviously, but more specifically; an early response by Frand about feedback I pm'ed to him as well as reading through Secret Exits website forums and just generally the respect and pride that Frand has for Secret Exits games, the community and the way the future of the culture in which Secret Exits games are intended to invoke are handled.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 PM
iPhone 3G, OS 3.x

Does Mr. Dismount have "sticky" hands? I seem to experience the phenomenon of him holding on for dear life on the edges. Just wondering if this is a feature or a bug.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:48 PM

stair dismount!

i picked up this little gold nugget of a game...er entertainment app...yesterday. i gotta say im really enjoying it so far....i own max injury also but this one takes the cake for sure.

like many others have said before...its extremely polished. the amount of detail is even pretty amazing....even tho its just plain ol stairs and a all white dummy...they made it look mighty professional. you can even see cracks on the stairs/ground from where you hit on the attempt before. i even like the music they have playing. its soothing...mellow...perfect for throwing somebody down stairs.haha

someone said they were experiencing sticky hands? i am too...he does try and hold on from time to time.haha its pretty funny tho...

as for suggestions.....

i read that someone asked for a target er something....that if you were to land on the target youd get extra points. that sounded pretty cool. somebody else said wear n tear on the dummy...that would be cool.

i dunno...as long as they keep throwing in more levels...ill be satisfied.

happy thanksgiving everybody!

Last edited by Mr. Clean; 11-26-2009 at 11:29 PM..
Old 11-27-2009, 04:46 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Does Mr. Dismount have "sticky" hands? I seem to experience the phenomenon of him holding on for dear life on the edges. Just wondering if this is a feature or a bug.
It's a fug. Fug's are slight bugs that make things more fun, I've always enjoyed him grasping ledges and am pretty sure it will not get fixed. I hope.