Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-25-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARDUMB View Post
But one thing I wish was different is instead of touching the actual body of the dummy to place your impact point, I wish you could grab and manipulate the actual arrow instead. My finger blocks the impact point, and sometimes I feel like I'd like to make a really minor adjustment but can't. If I could move the arrow itself around, I could focus on where the little circle of impact is on the body.
To get finer control over the impact point, you can pinch to zoom closer to Mr. Dismount.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:11 AM

Update 1.1.1 detailed in the OP (screenshots added).
Old 11-25-2009, 09:39 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frand View Post
Here is a really nice gameplay video from a Japanese iPhone site:
YouTube: video

The only major functionality it doesn't cover is the Facebook face selection and photo upload.
A level (stair) editor would be a great addition. iBlast Moki replay value is insane with their level creator.

BTW that video was very well done. Got me interested in your app.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:06 AM

Frand please don't take this the wrong way, but seriously only 6 levels on launch?... Max injury really has taken the lead with a $1 price point and more levels when it released. I have really been waiting on this one since the first thread back in March, but now I think I'm going to hold off until there is another update with more levels. I just can't justify spending $3 when I got MI for $1. Sorry but you guys just missed the boat on this one for me... Don't get me wrong, SDT looks way more polished and I'm sure the physics are better, but really they are the same game in different packages...

P.S. Not everybody uses facebook...

Last edited by 1337brian; 11-25-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Old 11-25-2009, 10:34 AM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 4.x

funny game
Old 11-25-2009, 10:43 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

@ Secret Exit - Thanks for your quick response in the previous thread. It's good to hear that the aforementioned "pros" were the features you focused on for this release, because they are all quite good. I'm also glad to hear that we can look forward to updates, possibly addressing some of the "cons". I fully understand that the 1.0 release may not include all of your desired features.

To answer your query and clarify my comment about face-mapping, the feature doesn't interest me at all, but I realize some people may like it, which is why I also said "your mileage may vary".

As to the feature to price ratio, perhaps my expectations were to high, due to my love for Zen Bound, or perhaps not. Zen Bound is a cohesive and complete experience; art, sound, controls, and gameplay are all polished to perfection, in my opinion. The level select screen is one of the best I've seen in any game. Stair Dismount does not reach the same level of quality, IMO.

Since the levels are just staircases, it seems like there could have been way more of them, if space allowed. It seems like when I want to play another level, I have to back all the way out to the main menu and workaround the facebook questions again. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but if it's there, it's not obvious to me and the current implementation doesn't provide the feeling of progression that I would like to have. Other physics games like iDropDead have multiple types of dynamic objects to smack the character around and even though you have more localized game, I think there could have been powerups or something to spice it up; maybe poking the guy in mid-fall could apply another physics impulse or landmines could be placed on the stairs so that it would increase his travel duration and impacts. Maybe a black hole could draw him in another direction or you could blast him with a shotgun to fine-tune his descent. LOL, whatever. I should also mention that I'm not a facebook user, so I can't comment on that feature, but I don't want to trivialize your work on that portion of the game. Having never played the game upon which this is based, perhaps I just don't "get it".

Anyway, good luck with the game and I will continue to support your game development with future purchases.

Last edited by djflippy; 11-25-2009 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: italics and edits
Old 11-25-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337brian View Post
Frand please don't take this the wrong way, but seriously only 6 levels on launch?... Max injury really has taken the lead with a $1 price point and more levels when it released. I have really been waiting on this one since the first thread back in March, but now I think I'm going to hold off until there is another update with more levels. I just can't justify spending $3 when I got MI for $1. Sorry but you guys just missed the boat on this one for me... Don't get me wrong, SDT looks way more polished and I'm sure the physics are better, but really they are the same game in different packages...

P.S. Not everybody uses facebook...
No offense taken, feel free to bite when what we offer is something that you find appealing

We will add new levels in the future, that much is obvious. Our goal for the first release was a solid v1.0 with everything polished up to our standards. The current levels are the best ones from a larger pool of various tests and new ones will be added when we are satisfied with them.

Box Shaped Games did good with Max Injury and I tip my hat to their success, but their design and production focus is very different from Stair Dismount. I wouldn't recommend comparing any two games only by looking at the number of levels or the number of features.

PS. Stair Dismount lets you pick any photo in the device Photo Library and share it via email. (The email is sent without exiting the application.) Facebook isn't required, it's just a feature we like to make noise about.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 AM

Well, I waited for this over buying other similar style games and while the presentation and controls are great, I'm rather disappointed that there are no online High Scores.

As there's only 6 levels currently, I would have expected some High Score table action to gain more longevity.

Shame, really hope online High Scores are a priority for the team.

Lovely, but limited.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
@ Secret Exit - Thanks for your quick response in the previous thread. It's good to hear that the aforementioned "pros" were the features you focused on for this release, because they are all quite good. I'm also glad to hear that we can look forward to updates, possibly addressing some of the "cons".

To answer your query and clarify my comment about face-mapping, the feature doesn't interest me at all, but I realize some people may like it, which is why I also said "your mileage may vary".

As to the feature to price ratio, perhaps my expectations were to high, due to my love for Zen Bound, or perhaps not. Zen Bound is a cohesive and complete experience; art, sound, controls, and gameplay are all polished to perfection, in my opinion. The level select screen is one of the best I've seen in any game. Stair Dismount does not reach the same level of quality, IMO.

Since the levels are just staircases, it seems like there could have been way more of them, if space allowed. It seems like when I want to play another level, I have to back all the way out to the main menu and workaround the facebook questions again. Maybe I'm just not doing it right, but if it's there, it's not obvious to me. Other physics games like iDropDead have multiple types of dynamic objects to smack the character around and even though you have more localized game, I think there could have been powerups or something to spice it up; maybe poking the guy in mid-fall could apply another physics impulse or landmines could be placed on the stairs so that it would increase his travel duration and impacts. Maybe a black hole could draw him in another direction or you could blast him with a shotgun to fine-tune his descent. LOL, whatever. I should also mention that I'm not a facebook user, so I can't comment on that feature, but I don't want to trivialize your work on that portion of the game. Having never played the game upon which this is based, perhaps I just don't "get it".

Anyway, good luck with the game and I will continue to support your game development with future purchases.
Thanks for your support!

I can't wait to discuss the new Zen Bound in more detail, but it's still a longer while away.

To select a new scenario in Stair Dismount, simply tap the top left back-arrow twice - no need to exit all the way back to the main menu.

As for game feedback and ideas, this is definitely the right place for them.
If only everyone remembers that game development involves a budget, and doesn't move at internet pace
Old 11-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I was wondering about the possibility of moving the original position of the dismounter. Not sure if that goes against the spirit of the game, but I felt like that was what I wanted to do more than anything when playing the game.

arn