★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: WordJong...

01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
WordJong...

This is a game I didn't think would come to the iPhone/Touch because it was not a big hit on the DS but I have to say that it was one of my favorite games to take with me on long trips... and my wife would play it non-stop for a long time.

It's a great word game that combines WordPop with Mahjong. You have to spell words but can only use the letters that are free on at least one side (like removing mahjong tiles). There was a lot of cool depth in stories and achievements for the DS and I'm assuming that the same will be had with this game. I really liked that every day had a new puzzle and it was fun to try and knock out the whole month.

I've picked it up and I'm really excited to give it a go... I know the $5 cost will scare some off and perhaps there will be a sale, but I played it a lot for the $30 I spent on the DS and know I'll get the money's worth out of this $5.

I'll give it some play in a bit and let you know if it's the same as I am used to playing...
01-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Yes this game WordJong is great played it a ton on nintendo ds. Gonna wait for it to hit $3 though and then bite. It probably is worth $5 with the production value of it just saying compared to all the other ones though not sure.

Also you can play it online for free (flash) to see if it's up your alley or not.

Last edited by mrbass; 01-06-2009 at 09:00 PM.

01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Looks interesting, looking forward to some reviews.
01-06-2009, 08:43 PM
01-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Wow! This game seems very, very polished.

In addition, it looks like a proper version for iPhone rather than a poor port!

iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=301295390&mt=8

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
01-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Sorry... I forgot to put the link in the first post. It's rare that I do the first one so... well, there you go.

But I have had a chance to play this for a while and I'm very happy with the game. Though I have to admit that it's really only about half the DS game. In this version you only get to play the daily challenges. That means that there is a lot of puzzles... you do the math, but one of the really fun parts of the game is missing.

For those that played it before it's missing the whole "battle" portion of the game which was one of the really fun aspects of the game.

What you have now is just the daily puzzles which can be very challenging and still a lot of fun. You've also got a few achievements to unlock which will really push you.

I still have to say for a person who likes word games this is very good. The graphics and presentation are really nice and the play is exactly like it is on the DS. I am disappointed that it doesn't have the battle portion of the game so I would only give it four stars, but still it's worth the $5 to me.
01-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm very interested in getting this game. But before I drop $5. I went to their site and tried the online version and it was a real nice game to play. My question is: what is a daily challenge?....its in the description but doesn't really explain....and not ever played it before I'm curious. Hopefully its not just one game a day play with only a net conection (is it?), cuz that's what keeps coming to mind. Can I play as many games as want? Does it need a internet connection?.......
01-06-2009, 09:41 PM
The daily challenge is basically one puzzle everyday. There is a high score set up by one of the "WordJong Masters" and your job is to beat it. You can go and play any day that has already past but the basic idea of it is sort of like going to your local paper and getting the puzzle for the day (for those that still get papers). There are different skill levels on different days (if I remember correctly Sunday was the hardest day). You can always do the puzzle over and try to improve upon your score.

Granted this doesn't make the game sound like one that you'll play for hours at a time, but it does make it one that you'll go to every day to see what the next challenge is, and once you get hooked into it you'll be doing just that. I did that with my DS version for pretty much six months straight at one point.

The Battle Mode was the thing that made you play it for hours at one sitting and that's the part that is missing (sadly). This was really a disappointment for me, but not enough for me to regret my purchase. I'm very happy with what I have (could have been happier) and look at it a bit like Puzzle Quest. Sure I didn't get the whole game, but I've got something that I enjoy a lot and I can take it with me a lot easier now. And like Puzzle Quest, it's nice to have renewed interest in one of my favorite games.
01-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Quickwit, thanks for a quick reply/explanation. Helps out a lot. Sounds like a good game but want to play using the battle mode as you mentioned. Liked it so much I actually downloaded the game from their site. I hope there isn't any bloatware attached but will try it out in the a.m. Thanks again!
01-06-2009, 09:58 PM
WordJong DS

I am also a big fan of the DS version (I still play it) and was excited to see the game on iPhone. The daily mode was my favorite on the DS, and it looks like they did a high quality version here. From what I can tell, it is not a port, but designed for the iPhone screen proportions. The art looks great, and the controls are very clean. The new awards added are also a good extra.

I think that the 5$ price makes sense, as the DS version was 20$ and had 3 modes. I will continue to play and post any new discoveries...