Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Banned
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

Default Flick Rugby & Aussie Rules.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 05-24-2011 at 04:11 AM..
Old 11-25-2009, 09:52 AM

Why is it Aussie rules???
Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 AM

I've been to Australia a couple of times and fell in love with Aussie Rules Football! Go Freemantle! Had to pick the AFL game just for the memories. I'll give it a go and leave some impressions...

But if you've never sat down and watched an Aussie Rules match, you need to find one on video (or live if you can). Take a little while to catch on to the rules but it is a blast to watch. It's a bit like combining every sport in the world and putting on a field the size of Rhode Island. I was amazed that play doesn't even stop for injuries... guys just run out and drag the wounded off. And the fans are amazing... they're like ravenous college fans turned up a few notches. Then you have a couple of Aussie Meat Pies and you've got the best sporting event I've ever had the pleasure of attending.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:30 AM

Okay... Played with it a little and I have to say that I like the game. It's not even close to the full experience of an AFL game (man I wish someone would create that game for my iPhone)... but it is a very nice kicking game and has enough of the Aussie feel to it.

Essentially you have to kick the ball into the scoring zones. In Aussie rules there are four poles. If you kick it in between the two middle posts you get 6 points (a goal) , and if it's between either of the two outer regions you get one point (a "behind"). To make these kicks you first tap the screen to drop the ball and then swipe your finger through the ball before it hits the ground to make the kick (not as easy as it seems).

There is a good element of physics with the wind and direction you kick and that provides a lot of challenge for the game. You've also got three modes to play in (four if you count practice), and that each is fun. In "Sudden Death" you just keep scoring until you miss -- once you do the game is over and you've got your score. "Arcade" is a lot like a 3-point shoot out in basketball. You take five kicks each from various points on the field and then see how many points you can rack up. There are even "bonus balls" for more points. The only difference in the 3-Point shootout is that if you don't get at least three conversions in a spot your game ends. The last mode is "Time Attack" where you get two minutes to score as much as you can. Each time you make a conversion you actually get 2 more seconds added to the clock so that adds to the fun.

The game includes OpenFeint, an online scoreboard, and a slew of achievements you can unlock.

This game won't appeal to those wanting a deeper experience into the sport, but it is a lot of fun and has just the right amount of frustration to it. I'm happy with my purchase, but I think most would want to see it at about half the $2 price. For me it was all about having a connection to a sport I love to watch, but don't get a chance to see very often.

And the one thing I wish that Pik Pok would have added with the game is the giant pom poms that the fans wave after scoring... That's one of the coolest parts of AFL.

I'm assuming that the Rugby version of this game is pretty similar in play. I'm just an Aussie Rules fan so I picked this one up.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsh06 View Post
Why is it Aussie rules???
Here's a promo video:

Youtube link | Pop Up
Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 AM

STUD...

Way to put the video up... Now I want to go back even more!

The amazing part of the game is when the players make a "mark"... that's the part where you see them leaping into the air to catch the ball. It's unlike anything else in sports.

Last time I was in Australia I almost bought a XBOX there just so I could play the AFL XBOX game (doesn't work in the machines in the States).
Old 11-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickWit View Post
STUD...

Way to put the video up... Now I want to go back even more!

The amazing part of the game is when the players make a "mark"... that's the part where you see them leaping into the air to catch the ball. It's unlike anything else in sports.

Last time I was in Australia I almost bought a XBOX there just so I could play the AFL XBOX game (doesn't work in the machines in the States).
I've seen a few games myself(on the Telly of course)over here in the UK...It's a good sport to watch now and then when nowt else is on,Tho most of the ones i've seen usually end up with a punch up or two
Old 11-25-2009, 12:39 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

AFL is on most nights for me at 12-2 so I fall asleep watching it every night. Definitely check out a match or 2. I think of it as a mix of American football and rugby
Old 11-25-2009, 03:32 PM

Ok ye didn't get my question but I realised I missed the picture with the afl posts. I wasn't asking what it is at all. I should know seems as a load of gaelic footballers play there and we play them in the international series.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:40 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I can't tell from the video. Do you toss the ball up and then flick it or is already floating in the air?