★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Guide the delightful cows, bunnies and sheep to victory against a devious llama and his minion hedgepigs and foxes on the Waddlefield in this family-friendly tactical strategy game.

Features:
- 9 Playable Heroes
- 18 Devious Minions
- Cute Story Mode (15 Levels)
- Endless Free Play Mode
- Great Farm Music

Join strategy discussions, read insightful tips and learn what's on the Waddlefield road map at our website:

http://www.waddlefield.com
11-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Devs Blog says its a TBS.

Youtube link | Pop Up

11-25-2009, 10:00 PM
A TBS for all...

There has been a lot of hype in the TBS genre of late. Two huge releases have made people wonder if they would enjoy what a TBS offers. On the heels of these releases comes a new entry called Waddlefield. The concept is basic, the minions led by the devious llama have stolen an apple pie. It is up to the cows, sheep and rabbits to get it back. It is a TBS in the most basic of senses but the strategy remains the same. Choose your team wisely (you have 9 to choose from) and work your way across the field to defeat the enemy.

The current version contains Chapter 1 of a Story Mode containing 5 levels and an endless free play mode. 2 more Chapters are planned to be released, each a month apart. The game's developer is very committed to this game and realizes that mistakes by other developers might make consumers hesitant to jump into a game that has planned updates. He answers this on his blog: http://waddlefarm.org/blog/?p=950

So far the game has proven to provide a gentler alternative to the frenzied big name titles of late. The strategy is needed but in a much more serene setting. The graphics, though simple, are of the lost art of pixelation. Movement is simple, all of your "army" can move the same two space radius. At the beginning of each round you must choose whether to move and fight, or do special actions. All the sheep have special actions that focus on deterring the minions so they can lay down thorn traps or plant shrubs and trees. Cows attack with a deafening moo, roast or nudge the foxes and hedgehogs charged with slowing your path to the llama. Luckily you have the bunnies on your side because each has a different healing ability. Choose your team of 4 strategically based on the terrain and enemy set up.

The soundtrack has farm inspired music, but lucky for me (being from the city and all) you can play your own ipod music, or even turn the sound off if you wish. Touch controls are easy to manage and when you select a character its grid of movement is clear. Before you say, gee it's a TBS of farm animals it must be a child's game, don't say it. Same strategy is involved as a TBS but its much more forgiving. Thus it can clearly be the TBS game beginners and newcomers to the genre have been looking for.
11-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the review NEG. I think it's cool. The graphics look delightful to me. Another one to the "To-get" list.
11-25-2009, 10:07 PM
heeeeee-haww
11-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblack View Post
Thanks for the review NEG. I think it's cool. The graphics look delightful to me. Another one to the "To-get" list.
Sure thing - its a fun game that is a good distraction from all the "heavy hitters" of late. If you need a slower pace or just an entre into the genre, this would be it. I am having a lot of fun with it for sure!
11-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Lol @dragoncow

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
11-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow. This is fantastic.

Hi, I'm the developer of Waddlefield. I posted under the 'Upcoming Games' a month ago when I first submitted the app for review. The game was just approved and you guys have already made a topic!

Thank you for the review! Thanks for everyone thinking the graphics are good. It was my first attempt at pixel art. I had a great time developing this game. If you have questions, suggestions, etc, please let me know!
11-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempestDev View Post
Wow. This is fantastic.

Hi, I'm the developer of Waddlefield. I posted under the 'Upcoming Games' a month ago when I first submitted the app for review. The game was just approved and you guys have already made a topic!

Thank you for the review! Thanks for everyone thinking the graphics are good. It was my first attempt at pixel art. I had a great time developing this game. If you have questions, suggestions, etc, please let me know!
Welcome! Having lots of fun with your game! Nice to see you here!
01-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Waddlefield 1.2 (Chapter 2) has just been released on the App Store. This is a free content and art update for Waddlefield.