★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: As featured in EDGE magazine:

"...the adorable presentation (albeit of genocide) makes it a short term delight...Underneath the presentation, Bloody Fun Day is a tight, if limited, tile puzzler."

What would Death himself do if he were surrounded by ultra-cute critters? Kill them, of course! You play the reaper, who needs to kill red cuties in order to stay alive. Killing other cuties will help charge super powers that make it easier to get to the red cuties. How long can you survive before the dwindling cutie population stifles your life?

You cant help but have a bloody fun day in this addictive puzzler!
11-25-2009, 11:08 AM
#2
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 546
I'm not the developer for this game, so this thread can be deleted / merged if the actual developer comes along.

I played this game on Kongregate not long ago and was excited to see it pop up under new releases this morning.

I'll post some thoughts later but for now you can check out the Flash version to see if you like it. I was addicted to the Flash version for like a week:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/urba...bloody-fun-day

11-25-2009, 11:53 AM
#3
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypeon View Post
I'm not the developer for this game, so this thread can be deleted / merged if the actual developer comes along.

I played this game on Kongregate not long ago and was excited to see it pop up under new releases this morning.

I'll post some thoughts later but for now you can check out the Flash version to see if you like it. I was addicted to the Flash version for like a week:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/urba...bloody-fun-day
It's on my wishlist. Fun game where you have to plan forward

>
It should be a standard feature that you can turn on/off in-game music and sound effects separately in all games
!
11-25-2009, 12:27 PM
#4
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,443
/cue U2 refrain

Looks great. Bought.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
11-25-2009, 01:34 PM
#5
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,750
I just purchased.

Its good, but it looks like the developer took the minimum time moving from the Flash game.

This version does not:

1) Allow you to listen to your own music.
2) Even allow you to turn off the in-game music.
3) Save the game state when it exits.
4) Keep track of more then one high score.

All of these things are standard for a stateless web app, but all are things that I would have hoped they would address for the iPhone release.

Probably worth 99 cents, but a bit disappointing.

Michael
11-25-2009, 02:32 PM
#6
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: 英國劍橋
Posts: 1,569
This is a good game but it deserves to be a much better one! So, I agree to some extent with the previous poster. However, and I don't know if this is just me, but does anyone get a slight screen flicker when the monsters are killed???

Perhaps this is just on a 3GS, updated, but each time one moves the "Grim Reaper" to collect more souls, there's a black line that flickers across the screen, just near where the animation happens...

...is this just me?

I really hope the developer gets involved in this thread, it could be an excellent pick-up-and-go game with a little more love, care and attention. Even having some kind of global scoring would help as it provides the player with an objective - right now it also seems a little "open-ended" ... :-S
11-25-2009, 07:08 PM
#7
A word from the developer :)

Hi guys,

You beat us to the punch on this thread

We're the developer for BFD on the iDevice. Thanks to everyone for your feedback so far!

Development on BFD was a long road, and while a simplistic puzzler at first glance, it has deep mechanics that took a great deal of time to debug & make solid on the iDevice. We're very happy with the core BFD mechanic port, and have found the UI redesign for the device to be engaging and effective.

Of course, there's always more that can be done with any game. Online scores was something that we were really trying to push for but simply ran out of time - commercial reality and all that

Urbansquall are the original creators of Bloody Fun Day, and we'd love to continue making BFD even better. Please keep your suggestions / feedback coming and with a bit of luck, BFD will hit the charts and have a long and prosperous future on the iDevice!

Thanks again,
- Ingmar
The Binary Mill
11-25-2009, 07:53 PM
#8
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBinaryMill View Post
Of course, there's always more that can be done with any game. Online scores was something that we were really trying to push for but simply ran out of time - commercial reality and all that
Of all of the things that are missing from this game, Online scores (IMO) scores fifth in priority. You don't even have local scores yet, so perhaps you should put those in before you start with online score.

In addition, on a device that is also a phone, not saving the user's state between launches is just not acceptable.

The thing with the music is also more important then online. You may be in love with your music, but I prommise you, many people who might buy your game will not be.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBinaryMill View Post
Please keep your suggestions / feedback coming and with a bit of luck, BFD will hit the charts and have a long and prosperous future on the iDevice!
It is the beginning of a good game, and I imagine that if you finish it by putting the required iPhone touches in it it might do well. Otherwise, I imagine the inevitable bad reviews will probably kill any chances of it doing well.

Which would be a pity, because it seems to be the start of a really good game.

By the way, another thing that is missing is any kind of help section beyond the tutorial. You have three different reapers with no explanation as to what sets them apart. Is it just aesthetics, or do they have different abilities.

Michael

Last edited by mlkaufman; 11-25-2009 at 07:56 PM.
11-25-2009, 08:19 PM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkaufman View Post
Of all of the things that are missing from this game, Online scores (IMO) scores fifth in priority. You don't even have local scores yet, so perhaps you should put those in before you start with online score.

In addition, on a device that is also a phone, not saving the user's state between launches is just not acceptable.

The thing with the music is also more important then online. You may be in love with your music, but I prommise you, many people who might buy your game will not be.




It is the beginning of a good game, and I imagine that if you finish it by putting the required iPhone touches in it it might do well. Otherwise, I imagine the inevitable bad reviews will probably kill any chances of it doing well.

Which would be a pity, because it seems to be the start of a really good game.

By the way, another thing that is missing is any kind of help section beyond the tutorial. You have three different reapers with no explanation as to what sets them apart. Is it just aesthetics, or do they have different abilities.

Michael
Hi Michael,

I appreciate your candor, although different feature priorities rate differently for different people. As the saying goes, you can't please all the people all the time Let me address your concerns below.

Local scores are in tact in that you can tell exactly when you have beaten your last best score. A high score table is a feature we certainly could ad in the future.

Save state is something we will consider adding to a future update.

As for the music, it can be disabled. The ability to play your own music is simple addition for us which we can also address in a future patch.

Thanks again for the feeback and hope you continue to have fun with what is there now

Regards,
- Ingmar
The Binary Mill
11-25-2009, 08:29 PM
#10
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 274
i dont like this bloody thing, make me sick! why not produce some healthy thing ?//?