★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iTunes/review sites advertising

11-26-2009, 02:49 PM
#1
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 700
Send a message via ICQ to JCik68 Send a message via Skype™ to JCik68
iTunes/review sites advertising

Hey guys,

my friend has iphone developer studio and he is gona to release his game first so he was thinking about some advertising.

Is it somehow possible to advertise your game in iTunes (see picture, in section 1 or 2?). I know you cant get to Whats hot etc... but what about others games in section 1 and 2 on my picture?

Also, what iphone review sites would you recommend to buy advertisement on? Thank you!


Add me @ Gamecenter - JCik#68
11-26-2009, 02:51 PM
#2
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,438
None of that space on iTunes is for sale.

arn

11-26-2009, 02:51 PM
#3
Yeah I think Apple choose who gets to go there.
11-26-2009, 03:21 PM
#4
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 317
Send a message via ICQ to cramzy Send a message via Skype™ to cramzy
Yup, apple picks these. They usually go for the big companies like EA, Gameloft etc...or celebrities who release their app.
11-26-2009, 03:34 PM
#5
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 700
Send a message via ICQ to JCik68 Send a message via Skype™ to JCik68
thanks for answers...
so basically those application in section 1/2 are just some special VIP apps that arent in What New/What Hot/What We Are playing sections, right?

Add me @ Gamecenter - JCik#68
11-26-2009, 03:37 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCik68 View Post
thanks for answers...
so basically those application in section 1/2 are just some special VIP apps that arent in What New/What Hot/What We Are playing sections, right?
there seems to be a fair amount of overlap. it's not all "vip" stuff. usually it's stuff they featured they particularly liked or felt to be notable.

arn
11-27-2009, 07:44 AM
#7
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 46
Yeah, as far as I can tell those sections are for Apple's benefit, not necessarily the developers of the apps that appear there. The purpose of those sections is to make the App Store in general look like an appealing and rich experience, so Apple picks anything they think will get a large number of customers (particularly ones who aren't already purchasing frequently on the store) excited.

-- DaVoid Digital --
Check out AstroSerf - Update now available!
>> For more information, mosey on over to AstroSerf.com
>> Follow AstroSerfGame on Twitter for the latest news!
11-27-2009, 08:01 AM
#8
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 754
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawvee View Post
Yeah, as far as I can tell those sections are for Apple's benefit, not necessarily the developers of the apps that appear there. The purpose of those sections is to make the App Store in general look like an appealing and rich experience, so Apple picks anything they think will get a large number of customers (particularly ones who aren't already purchasing frequently on the store) excited.
i am currently at an apple iphone developer kitchen event (stockholm) and i asked about these sections - typically, there is a "partnership manager" in each region who recommends applications (dont ask me how to find your local representative; i met mine at such events).. and the apple itunes team does the selection.. it is not always for VIP!!

some tips (to get selected now)

- utilize new features
-- open gl es 2.0
-- compass, et al
- be unique (dont copy someone else's ideas)
- push the boundaries to their limits

just because you have a good brand; dont expect it to be highlighted; apple wants to promote the newest hardware; so it drives sales.. (ie: people upgrade).. and thats the main driver behind these categories.

good luck

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
11-27-2009, 06:01 PM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1up View Post
i am currently at an apple iphone developer kitchen event (stockholm) and i asked about these sections - typically, there is a "partnership manager" in each region who recommends applications (dont ask me how to find your local representative; i met mine at such events).. and the apple itunes team does the selection.. it is not always for VIP!!

some tips (to get selected now)

- utilize new features
-- open gl es 2.0
-- compass, et al
- be unique (dont copy someone else's ideas)
- push the boundaries to their limits

just because you have a good brand; dont expect it to be highlighted; apple wants to promote the newest hardware; so it drives sales.. (ie: people upgrade).. and thats the main driver behind these categories.

good luck
Thanks, mobile1up. That's the most detail I've seen on how people get selected for being promoted on the app store.

Any idea who the "partnership manager" for Silicon Valley is?