★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Interesting new puzzle game - Railroad

01-07-2009, 05:29 AM
#1
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 45
Interesting new puzzle game - Railroad

I was a long time ago a big fan of the game pipe dream on old PC's where you had to connect pipes.... Now I found a great variation of this game called Railroad, where you have to connect rails so that the train would reach the station in time. Rails you either flip around or move on the board. There's tunnels that teleport you to another tunnel for example... I just bought it and played a little while and I must say I like this game vary much so far

I don't know how to get the appstore like to games but here's the site of the developer.

http://www.ysh.kr/railroad
01-07-2009, 05:38 AM
#2
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Berlin/Germany
Posts: 946
Gold Rush http://appshopper.com/games/gold-rush seems to be the more polished version of this. Free version also available.

I tried it a few weeks ago and loved it, but I didn't buy the full version, because I can't see me playing this kind of game very often .

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de

01-07-2009, 05:58 AM
#3
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 597
Send a message via MSN to D.Sync Send a message via Yahoo to D.Sync
The game is good BEFORE I know that the 3 tracks that are available at the right side of the screen will not changed unless you built 1 of them. If only we can choose from any tracks we want.

Updates from Casual Gamer

Plus+ ID: dsync89 (active in all We Rule, We Farm and We City)
OpenFeint ID: dsync89
01-07-2009, 06:12 AM
#4
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarikata View Post
I was a long time ago a big fan of the game pipe dream on old PC's where you had to connect pipes.... Now I found a great variation of this game called Railroad, where you have to connect rails so that the train would reach the station in time. Rails you either flip around or move on the board. There's tunnels that teleport you to another tunnel for example... I just bought it and played a little while and I must say I like this game vary much so far

I don't know how to get the appstore like to games but here's the site of the developer.

http://www.ysh.kr/railroad
Thanks for the heads up about this game.

Here is the App Store link: Railroad Puzzle

Does the game remember your progress or do you have to restart when a game has been interupted?

I see that there is currently only 12 levels in the game. That does not seem like very many (especially for a person who plays lots of puzzle games like me!). How hard are you finding the levels? Are they fast to finish or do you need lots of time as they are tricky?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Gold Rush http://appshopper.com/games/gold-rush seems to be the more polished version of this. Free version also available.

I tried it a few weeks ago and loved it, but I didn't buy the full version, because I can't see me playing this kind of game very often .

I too like this genre of game. I've tried the Gold Rush lite version. Although I haven't tried Railroad Puzzle yet, I think that while they are of the same general genre they look to be different. With Gold Rush the train stations and gold are placed for you on the board. You then have only a few pieces of track that you can place at a time. They are random which means you will get pieces that are of no use to you. I dealt with them by placing them on outside areas of the board that I didn't need to use to make a track. That works OK on an easy level where you can collect the gold nuggets and make the track. But I don't think it would work well on harder levels. You would start parking pieces on needed parts of the board. Yes I know you can demolish pieces of track but this takes time and would slow you down too much on harder levels when you need to act fast. I didn't think that the random element in Gold Rush worked too well and that stopped me purchasing the full version.

Railroad Puzzle looks to have all the track pieces already on the board. You then can rotate the pieces or move them around. Which makes it more like a traditional game of this genre. Of course with the added twist of being able to move the pieces around and the need for the train to collect all the "items" on each level. I assume that all pieces can be used to build the track? Unlike with Gold Rush where you can have wasted pieces.
01-07-2009, 06:25 AM
#5
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
Thanks for the heads up about this game.

Here is the App Store link: Railroad Puzzle

Does the game remember your progress or do you have to restart when a game has been interupted?

I see that there is currently only 12 levels in the game. That does not seem like very many (especially for a person who plays lots of puzzle games like me!). How hard are you finding the levels? Are they fast to finish or do you need lots of time as they are tricky?

Railroad Puzzle looks to have all the track pieces already on the board. You then can rotate the pieces or move them around. Which makes it more like a traditional game of this genre. Of course with the added twist of being able to move the pieces around and the need for the train to collect all the "items" on each level. I assume that all pieces can be used to build the track? Unlike with Gold Rush where you can have wasted pieces.
Hmmm... I guess it doesn't save... that is a shame though, of course for the iphone users (i have an ipod myself). I tried shutting the game and opened again and there was no resume game option...

I have played this for an hour now and I do actually find the levels rather tricky, especially when there is more than one treasure (gold, beer or something) to pick up o the road. There is also three difficulty levels and the hardest is pretty fast. The tunnels are nice. they teleport the triain to other tunnels so you have to think also that there are rails ready at the other end where the train comes out. There developer promised (appstore page) that more stages designed are coming soon. I hope so.

Yes all pieces can be used to build the railroad, all execpt the five starting rails and five finishing rails (on each side) are movable. I guess in Gold rush you have three railpieces given and you can choose one to use out of those. Am I right? (I guess it was like that in the old pipe dream game too)

Last edited by jarikata; 01-07-2009 at 06:27 AM.
01-07-2009, 07:26 AM
#6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 364
Another polished pipe-game is balloonia, which doesn't have the excitement of building it in time (it IS timed, but there's no train with passengers risking their lives based on your skills ). It's casual, and it's pretty fun overall.
01-07-2009, 07:34 AM
#7
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Berlin/Germany
Posts: 946
I also noticed that this new Railroad game brings a bit of piece shuffling into the game. You can rotate and move the rail pieces.

Another great pipe-like-game is of course Paradox 3000. Very different setting though, but great puzzle mode .

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
#8
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
I also noticed that this new Railroad game brings a bit of piece shuffling into the game. You can rotate and move the rail pieces.

Another great pipe-like-game is of course Paradox 3000. Very different setting though, but great puzzle mode .

I have Paradox 3000 too and I like it a lot.... a bit of sci-fi version :-) Especially I like the puzzle mode.
01-07-2009, 08:47 AM
#9
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
Posts: 1,394
I tried the lite version of Paradox 3000 and I didn't like it that much... It just felt too cluttered and busy and over-crowded, when there was no need for it to be like that.
I haven't tried Balloonia, but the screenshots show a similar story.

For this reason, I much prefer Pipes, which is a similar game, but the interface and graphics for it are much simpler and more attractive.

Website: www.NotHowItLooks.com Twitter: @BrettArchibald
Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
#10
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
Does the game remember your progress or do you have to restart when a game has been interupted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarikata View Post
Hmmm... I guess it doesn't save... that is a shame though, of course for the iphone users (i have an ipod myself). I tried shutting the game and opened again and there was no resume game option...)
That's weird... This screen would seem to imply that you can indeed resume play from where you left off — although I can't confirm that from experience, as I haven't bought the game (yet)...



Although *maybe* it means resume play from the beginning of the level where you last played, rather than from the precise spot where you got up to in that level?
Either way is fine for me — just so long as you don't always have to start from level 1 every time you play the game!

Both games look very appealing though — I might just have to buy them!
(I tried the lite version of Gold Rush and that was really well put together.)

Website: www.NotHowItLooks.com Twitter: @BrettArchibald
Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox

Last edited by BrettArchibald; 01-21-2009 at 09:33 AM.