★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

So I bought Tetris

09-24-2008, 05:56 PM
#1
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 147
So I bought Tetris

I broke down and bought EA's Tetris today. The price is a little lower then when it first came out, which was what originally kept me away.

I'm blown away by the quality of the title, makes me feel like i've been missing out. I tend to be hesitant about games over 5$, but this was a worthy purchase.

The lack of multi player modes could be a real deal breaker for some people though. Head to head Tetris is one of the best things around.

I know there's been a flood of great games lately, but if your an OCD-app buyer like myself, think about giving it a chance if you overlooked it before.
09-24-2008, 06:33 PM
#2
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12
Send a message via AIM to XOrlandoPX
Tetris was my first app for the iPhone. Being a tetris fanatic I did not mind paying $10, plus it is the most played game on my phone

09-24-2008, 08:10 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 4,491
How long is the start up? Meaning, when I tap on the app how long till I get to actually play?

The big reason I have stuck with Tris is because I tap on it and literally 3 secs later I am playing.
09-24-2008, 08:33 PM
#4
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12
Send a message via AIM to XOrlandoPX
When u first open tetris u have that EA intro plus loading; I would say it takes about 25 seconds to actually start playing the game.
09-25-2008, 10:24 AM
#5
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
How long is the start up? Meaning, when I tap on the app how long till I get to actually play?

The big reason I have stuck with Tris is because I tap on it and literally 3 secs later I am playing.
I don't really see this as a dig deal. I would rather wait for something that is worth it. I timed 42 seconds from tapping the icon to after the 3,2,1 countdown to start a marathon game.
09-25-2008, 10:27 AM
#6
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,484
Ack - lack of multiplayer is a dealbreaker for me. I love Tetris DS (for Nintendo DS), but I would like a version of the game for my (much more portable) iPod Touch. The multiplayer modes are what are most fun for me, though, so this version seems to be a bust. Oh well. Maybe they'll put out a better sequel, hopefully with wifi internet multiplayer (as well as vs. computer), and many more modes. Something more akin to Tetris DS.
09-25-2008, 10:31 AM
#7
Time

The closer to instant the start times, the more value I get from the game. I like to play while I'm waiting for things, and anything over 5 seconds means that I will be likely to chose a different game. For example, I generally play Brain Tuner several times a day, but I rarely ever sit down and spend the time necessary to play Brain Challenge, even though Brain Challenge is superior in every other way.
09-25-2008, 10:33 AM
#8
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
Ack - lack of multiplayer is a dealbreaker for me. I love Tetris DS (for Nintendo DS), but I would like a version of the game for my (much more portable) iPod Touch. The multiplayer modes are what are most fun for me, though, so this version seems to be a bust. Oh well. Maybe they'll put out a better sequel, hopefully with wifi internet multiplayer (as well as vs. computer), and many more modes. Something more akin to Tetris DS.
I think multiplayer would be hard to implement in this since it would require you being able to see your opponents screen, hence shrinking your own play field. Since everything is touch controlled they probably can't afford to make it smaller without sacrificing game play.
09-25-2008, 10:40 AM
#9
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 18
Unless the multiplayer mode is Wi-Fi. I think that more developers need to focus on the multiplayer aspect. Not only local but what about online? There are how many iPhones around the world now? How cool would it be to have a system like Xbox Live for for the iPhone. It would be illa-b-killa!
09-25-2008, 10:47 AM
#10
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techtistic View Post
Unless the multiplayer mode is Wi-Fi. I think that more developers need to focus on the multiplayer aspect. Not only local but what about online? There are how many iPhones around the world now? How cool would it be to have a system like Xbox Live for for the iPhone. It would be illa-b-killa!
It does seem like a great idea, but then if you got a phone call you would get dropped from the match. Apple would have to make a firmware update that turns off the phones functionality, or makes phone calls less obtrusive during gaming sessions.

It's funny to think that they started off designing a phone that plays games, and now they may have to start redesigning around the idea of a game system that can take calls.