★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Misunderstanding of TA policies

11-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Misunderstanding of TA policies

I recently wrote a review of Jet Car Stunts that somebody commented on in the thread and a forum member publicly asked if I would provide a link. I replied with the following:

Quote:
Sorry, can't link it due to TA's policies. However, if you go to the site in my signature the review is on the front page.
Arn then edits this out and says that I am breaking their rule, even though I did not post a link. In fact, I feel I am enforcing it here.

He also gave me an infraction for "Spammed Promotion". Prior to this event, Arn has personally told me that putting a link to my site in my signature is perfectly appropriate, so has something changed or is this infraction just for the sake of it?

Associate Editor, Slide To Play and Padvance
Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.

Last edited by STP_Tim; 11-26-2009 at 09:34 PM.
11-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Hmm.. Weird.

back

11-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Really quite weird... I've gotten an infraction for "Spammed Advertisements" because I was saying a review of the game would be up on my site (this was when I wasn't with NoDPad yet). However, I haven't received an infraction after that yet though I have posted links to NoDPad when people asked for info on a specific game or subject that we did a write-up on. Maybe it's because I put "if this link isn't supposed to be here, please feel free to remove it" in my post? Still pretty weird though.
11-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah, that is weird...

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
11-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Weird....
11-26-2009, 09:59 PM
You can have them in your sig but not allowed to say anything about them being there

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
11-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Sure, you can put links in your sig, but posting "Hey, click on my sig to read my review" is the same as posting a link.

The whole point of the rule is not whether or not you physically post a link or not. It's to reduce or eliminate spam.

"Hey, check out my site, click on my sig!!!!" is clearly against the spirit of the rules. We welcome all participation, but if the purpose of your post is to drive traffic to your site... well, that's called "spam".

arn
11-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggzbacon View Post
You can have them in your sig but not allowed to say anything about them being there
Arn just told me that.

However, I was only trying to help another forum member. I can understand TA's issue with me pointing to my signature if it was purely promotional, but this was an act of selflessness.

Follow me on Twitter
Feel free to email me at tim@slidetoplay.com if you want to bring a game or update to our attention.
11-26-2009, 10:02 PM
You can't refer to links in your signature. That's just completely trying to go around the rule. You can have links in signatures but you can't say in a post "go click the link in my sig". That's the exact same thing as just posting the link in a post.

Your options were to say to that person "Sorry can't post links" or just wait for someone else to post to it.

What you did was still self-promotion.
11-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Sure, you can put links in your sig, but posting "Hey, click on my sig to read my review" is the same as posting a link.

The whole point of the rule is not whether or not you physically post a link or not. It's to reduce or eliminate spam.

"Hey, check out my site, click on my sig!!!!" is clearly against the spirit of the rules. We welcome all participation, but if the purpose of your post is to drive traffic to your site... well, that's called "spam".

arn
That was not my intent, nor could my post possibly be taken that way.

Follow me on Twitter