★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Are the remastered versions of Monkey Island and Beneath a Steel Sky worth buying?

11-27-2009, 10:21 AM
#1
Joined: May 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 5,195
Are the remastered versions of Monkey Island and Beneath a Steel Sky worth buying?

I have ScummVM and have both games on there. I was wondering if it was worth paying for either game at the current price (BASS=0.99; MI=3.99). I've beaten Monkey Island before and have never gotten anywhere in Steel Sky, but I'm a huge adventure game fan so I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I do in fact get somewhere. Also, I think that the interfaces in both are much improved and I love the voice acting in MI (The dude who plays Guybrush is one of my favorite voice actors just for that one part).

So is it worth it or should I just stick with the free versions I have on my iPod already? I have about 21 bucks left and am awaiting a few other apps to come out, such as NOVA and the new Verrukt map in COD: Zombies.
11-27-2009, 10:24 AM
#2
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: In your pants
Posts: 1,624
Definitely. Monkey Island's remastered handrawn graphics are awesome. Beneath A Steel Sky has a great control scheme (not the drag and click) and it also, like MI: SE has a hint system incase you get stuck. Great addition that saves time from looking at walkthroughs. I'd really recommend them if you like these adventure games, especially at these lowered prices.

10chars

11-27-2009, 10:30 AM
#3
Joined: May 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmo View Post
Definitely. Monkey Island's remastered handrawn graphics are awesome. Beneath A Steel Sky has a great control scheme (not the drag and click) and it also, like MI: SE has a hint system incase you get stuck. Great addition that saves time from looking at walkthroughs. I'd really recommend them if you like these adventure games, especially at these lowered prices.
I love the graphics on MI, although they feel a bit different from originally playing it (personally, I was hoping they'd go with the MI3 style graphics), but they're awesome looking. I think I'll finish up the lite version there and then decide if I want to buy. I'll probably finish it today, so I'm not worried about price increase.

BASS I was strongly considering due to the hint system, interface, and price. How are the graphics though? Did they get an update too?
11-27-2009, 10:32 AM
#4
Joined: May 2009
Location: The Golden State
Posts: 5,809
Yes, both of them are so worth buying

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
11-27-2009, 10:34 AM
#5
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: In your pants
Posts: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
I love the graphics on MI, although they feel a bit different from originally playing it (personally, I was hoping they'd go with the MI3 style graphics), but they're awesome looking. I think I'll finish up the lite version there and then decide if I want to buy. I'll probably finish it today, so I'm not worried about price increase.

BASS I was strongly considering due to the hint system, interface, and price. How are the graphics though? Did they get an update too?
Is MI 3 the 'The Curse of MI'? If so, that one was great too!

I don't think BASS got an update. But don't take my word for it, I never played the first. But, it's still a great game, though I haven't got very far in it yet. Anyhow, you can't go wrong with 0.99

10chars
11-27-2009, 10:43 AM
#6
Joined: May 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmo View Post
Is MI 3 the 'The Curse of MI'? If so, that one was great too!

I don't think BASS got an update. But don't take my word for it, I never played the first. But, it's still a great game, though I haven't got very far in it yet. Anyhow, you can't go wrong with 0.99
Yeah, I'll play a bit on ScummVM and see if I want to buy it.

And The Curse of Monkey Island (MI3) had some of the best graphics I've ever seen in a game. It was just film quality. I like them more than the new HD graphics in modern games. And the most amazing thing is that it ran smoothly on Windows 95. That game was just crazy. I had it on ScummVM, but it just took up way too much space on my iPod. Ah well, I've beaten it several times anyway.
11-27-2009, 10:52 AM
#7
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Katy, Texas USA
Posts: 830
Both are great games. Highly recommended. And both are absolute steals at their current prices.
11-27-2009, 10:58 AM
#8
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 630
I can only speak for BASS; it's one of the best games I've ever purchased (got it at it's $2.99 price point a few weeks ago).

This remastered version features new animated cut scenes which are pretty awesome and the hint system is great! I'd really recommend you to buy this game, it's only $.99.

My YouTube Review Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/iLykeApps

Plus+: RachelF
11-27-2009, 11:01 AM
#9
Joined: May 2009
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I can only speak for BASS; it's one of the best games I've ever purchased (got it at it's $2.99 price point a few weeks ago).

This remastered version features new animated cut scenes which are pretty awesome and the hint system is great! I'd really recommend you to buy this game, it's only $.99.
I actually looked at both, and it seems that the Remastered version has slightly updated graphics. I just played it on ScummVM and then looked at a youtube video of it and the graphics were a bit nicer, but didn't change much.
11-27-2009, 11:14 AM
#10
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,030
They are both VERY good adventure games. Terrific buys at their current sale prices. BASS has been updated with some comic-style cutscenes, but not sure how much of the actual in-game graphics have changed. I am currently playing BASS and am really enjoying it.