★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Flickitty: Real World Part I

11-27-2009, 02:46 PM
#1
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 761
Flickitty: Real World Part I

In our attempt to bring Flickitty to the users for free for a day, the app store ended up locking out the game entirely. While Flickitty remained in the App Store, it could not be purchased nor downloaded for 24 hours.

Our sales stats the following day (Nov 26) dropped 75%+ worldwide, with zero free downloads. Our ranking dropped off sharply. But this is not what I intend to write about.

Yesterday, our total sales worldwide were ONE, which was expected. The game was previously locked up, and in between the time it took to reset the App Store and finally set it free, a sale crept in.

Worldwide, we saw 2064 FREE downloads in 12 hours. 1418 of those were from the USA.

What does that tell us? Well the numbers alone tell us a few things. Even on a perfect day we could never sell 2000+ in a single day. Our numbers simply aren't there, and we aren't reaching enough people.

Second, most games would be extremely lucky to sell to 10% of their target audience (some are higher, some are lower). If you have a free/lite version, you can almost determine how many people have expressed an interest in your game, although this isn't 100% accurate.

When you release an update you can keep track of how many people still have the game on their device by the upgrade downloads. Flickitty Free has been available for a couple months, and we have seen 51%+ upgrades- which means over half the people still have the free version on their device.

Out of all this, one important factor has been the positive user response (I mean, who doesn't like FREE after all?). It also opens our eyes to a HUGE problem: a lot of users have proclaimed that the Flickitty is VERY different than from what they expected. Most common misconceptions are that Flickitty is another sheep launcher, a childs/girls game or just a platformer.

In order to reach a broader audience, we need to better define the game.

Flickitty is at about #53 Top Free Adventure, which is lower than Flickitty Free was previously. However, we probably need 3 days in order to get a proper standing.

Overall, these are Flickitty's highest stats in the App Store:

#6 Top Paid Adventure
#57 All Top Paid Games
#103 All Top Paid Apps


I expect todays downloads to be substantially lower, and I will be back to report those tomorrow.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone

Last edited by Flickitty; 11-27-2009 at 04:32 PM.
11-27-2009, 04:24 PM
#2
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 410
Very interesting. Thanks for posting your experience.

Our Tap-Fu lite is averaging about 1300 to 1700 downloads per day, around the world, the last few days. We're somewhere on the Adventure list (maybe 30s?)

It's interesting that some games/apps do extremely well for relatively little marketing, while others can market heavily and not have any significant impact. From all that we learned, we feel that no other marketing is as good as either a good lite version or a feature from Apple.

Curious though, what motivated you to make your game free for a day?

Last edited by Knight; 11-27-2009 at 04:31 PM.

11-27-2009, 04:42 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,467
Just a quick comment from a non-developer--> the whole Flickitty "is it free or ain't it?" app store fiasco really caught my attention, and I'm sure others' as well.

I had never heard of Flickitty-- since so many games are released every day-- but I was glued to the Flickitty thread to see what was going on! It was probably the best thing that could have happened, in terms of publicity. It kept the thread active for much longer than it would have been had the game simply appeared as "free" when it was supposed to!
11-27-2009, 05:22 PM
#4
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 515
oops, double post.

Last edited by shen; 11-27-2009 at 05:29 PM.
11-27-2009, 05:23 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 515
Quote:
When you release an update you can keep track of how many people still have the game on their device by the upgrade downloads. Flickitty Free has been available for a couple months, and we have seen 51%+ upgrades- which means over half the people still have the free version on their device.
I don't understand what you mean here. I keep most games that I download on my computer, and track upgrades and download new versions via iTunes.
11-27-2009, 05:35 PM
#6
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 977
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post
I don't understand what you mean here. I keep most games that I download on my computer, and track upgrades and download new versions via iTunes.
He just means that if you've sold 1000 copies of your game, and then you release an update, and 600 download the update, then there are 400 people that didn't download it for some reason. That reason is most likely that they don't have your game on their device anymore.

In my case, however, I have purchased many, many games, and then removed them from my iPhone, but I still always just click the "Get All Free Updates" button in iTunes, so I may be skewing stats for some developers.
11-27-2009, 06:31 PM
#7
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 22
Even though this is sort of non-related to what you're saying, i'd like to give you a little motivation. I downloaded Flickitty for free yesterday and I must say. Very good job at the game. I would have been happy to buy it.
11-27-2009, 06:48 PM
#8
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 362
Send a message via Skype™ to micah
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightySix View Post
Even though this is sort of non-related to what you're saying, i'd like to give you a little motivation. I downloaded Flickitty for free yesterday and I must say. Very good job at the game. I would have been happy to buy it.
Ditto. It's very fun!

--=] Insurgent Games website | twitter [=-
Cryptose (TA) - Skeleton Key (TA) - Skeleton Key HD (TA link) - Aeropack (TA)
11-27-2009, 10:45 PM
#9
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for posting your experience.

Our Tap-Fu lite is averaging about 1300 to 1700 downloads per day, around the world, the last few days. We're somewhere on the Adventure list (maybe 30s?)

It's interesting that some games/apps do extremely well for relatively little marketing, while others can market heavily and not have any significant impact. From all that we learned, we feel that no other marketing is as good as either a good lite version or a feature from Apple.

Curious though, what motivated you to make your game free for a day?
I don't remember what our Lite Version was getting daily- I can actually look those up to see how Flickitty and Flickitty Free compare when they are both free.

Globally, Flickitty Free was in was in the thousands downloads daily, but distributed widely across the world. For a few days we saw 4000 downloads a day from Russia alone.

What motivated us to make it free for a day? Thats pretty simple- we want Flickitty to be as accessable as possible. It is a game, and if it isn't getting played, then it is worthless as far as a game goes.

Its is like the toy nobody likes to play with.

We knew we would get buried in the rubble of Black Friday, since our game was already $0.99 and we had no other price reduction available and no other promotional value. Marketing Flickitty is impossibly difficult because it doesn't fit into any single genre- most everyone thinks it is a kids/girls game, or a sheep launcher or a normal platformer.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone

Last edited by Flickitty; 11-27-2009 at 10:48 PM.
11-28-2009, 01:27 AM
#10
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 131
Hi! Just curious, by how much does being featured on the App Store (e.g. What We're Playing, New and Noteworthy, etc.) affect the volume of downloads? And is there a correlation/relationship between game sales and the number of App Reviews (e.g. more reviews = higher sales?)? Thank you!

On another note, Flickitty is a really great game. Fun , gorgeous and one of a kind.

Last edited by enuhski; 11-28-2009 at 01:29 AM.