★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Using the "Home" button as an actual button in a game

01-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Using the "Home" button as an actual button in a game

My understanding is that the home button responds to two things:

A single press and a double press

I wonder if these can be used in game...perhaps, instead of click home to quit a game they could have an option in the menu that quits the game. Navigating a menu is a small price to pay for having the use of the home button as an actual button in a game.

I'm not a developer, so I really have no clue how much control you might have over that stuff. I assume that Apple probably doesn't allow you too utilize it in that way but I figured it was worth asking and probably worth apple considering if they want to look at the iPhone and Touch as a gaming machine.
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense Field View Post
My understanding is that the home button responds to two things:

A single press and a double press

I wonder if these can be used in game...perhaps, instead of click home to quit a game they could have an option in the menu that quits the game. Navigating a menu is a small price to pay for having the use of the home button as an actual button in a game.

I'm not a developer, so I really have no clue how much control you might have over that stuff. I assume that Apple probably doesn't allow you too utilize it in that way but I figured it was worth asking and probably worth apple considering if they want to look at the iPhone and Touch as a gaming machine.
I doubt the SDK would allow developers to have this option, and I don't really think apple will do this. Not a bad idea though

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss

01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I'd actually rather have the volume rocker be allowed as a control (and it would give you two buttons), keeping the home button for, you know, maybe exiting the game?
01-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Wishful thinking

I hope they change the home button to a small chrome joystick and scroll wheel, but unfotunatly it seems Apple really dislikes hard buttons. That's my biggest wish for the next generation.
01-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I'd rather have the power buttton as a shoulder button.

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Yes I doubt Apple would allow the use of the Home button as such. The one thing I would like, if we are to keep the Home button's function as exiting an app to return to the Home screen, is to have a confirmation dialogue before exiting. Quite often I have pressed the Home button by accident while getting a little too excited playing a game, and would appreciate the option to have a confirmation appear built into the firmware.
01-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I'd rather be able to plug my old SNES controller into my iTouch

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by rootbeersoup; 01-07-2009 at 02:05 PM.
01-07-2009, 02:06 PM
It's called an iPod TOUCH for something!
Why stick with the old geeky stuff like controllers?
Touch is IN now!
It's amazing how cool menus they can make with touch, and it doesn't actually exist that long yet...

More will be comming, i think.

Please come up with a 2nd Gen iPod Jailbreak!
01-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Oma's back! Alright, now we have a forum.
Regarding the home button thing being used in a game, well, all I have to say is: hahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaah, stupid idea, hahahaahhaahahahahahah
01-07-2009, 02:19 PM
This is kind of a useless idea since ipod touch 1g users like myself don't have volume controls, but, if held on its side, with the home button to the left, the volume control could be used as as a button similar to the "r1" button on a ps2 controller.