★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Whack'em All Piracy

01-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Whack'em All Piracy

Pretty interesting article about the developers of whack'am all and it's cracker.
01-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Very interesting. Thanks!

We were actually excited to discover that BLAST! had been cracked. It's inevitable that every app will be cracked and eventually made available for free. But is it worth getting upset over? No, because It's free exposure.

The people cracking apps generally wont pay for any app, period. However if they enjoy your app, the chances are pretty good they'll tell a friend who might crack it and then tell another friend. Eventually one of those people will legitimately buy your app, and that's a sale you wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

As long as developers support their apps and build a quality reputation for themselves, this type of exposure can only benefit in the long run.

I'm sure every independent developer would love to have "ngmoco:)'s" advertising cash, but they don't. Controversy is the next best bet for free publicity, just look at the fart apps!

01-07-2009, 04:34 PM
I have over 100 paid apps and 0 cracked apps. I don't support pirating apps, but the cracker makes a fair point.

The other day, I saw a new game with a handful of reviews, the majority of which were CLEARLY written by the developer or a single person associated with him/them. At first I was amused how easy it was to figure out. It wasn't just the style of writing - the game description had the SAME spaces in between punctuation . Like this . But it actually made me kind of sad that this is allowed to happen. I know there are a lot of immature/irrelevant/flat-out-stupid reviews within the App Store (and "rate on delete" is just a terrible idea), but padding your own reviews with shill accounts is really disingenuous, and it makes me increasingly wary about making purchases with my hard earned money.
01-07-2009, 04:43 PM
The developers that the article is about are here, they have post in another section:

I was expecting more nasty back and forths between the developer and the cracker.... no such luck.
01-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree. People who are into piracy aren't your target audience. They will very likely never buy an app anyway. However simply having more people use your software might reach some regular users who will buy it.

However one of the things about the iapps is how cheap they are. It's hard to buy a PC game for 50$ and be let down. Or even a CD for 15-20$ and be let down. But to buy a game for .99-2.99 being let down isn't really that painful. That is why I am not really considering iphone piracy as a way to get apps. I am simply totally fine with taking a chance with 5$ or less.
01-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I was expecting more nasty back and forths between the developer and the cracker.... no such luck.
Why do you say it like that? Why did you expect or want nasty back and forths?

Generally from past piracy history, it's a lot easier to ruin your reputation by fighting pirates than improve it. I think Fairlady dealt with it in a mature and professional way. You can't fight piracy, you just have to accept it and look on the bright side.
01-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Maybe if enough people complained to Apple with a solution the might actually do something about it. If half of this forum just stormed Apple with a list of complaints and open minded solutions I think they would listen and hopefully attempt to try and fix the problem. If that doesn't work we can only hope that 2009 is the year apple will get their stuff together.

Boycott the appstore!!

Playing: HookChamp.WheelersTreasure.BaseballSuperstars2010. SniperVsSniper.RealRacing.
WaitingList: SpaceTripper.RoguePlanet.MiniSquadron.R-Type.
01-07-2009, 04:57 PM
One very interesting concept...

Apple do certainly need to improve their system with a PROPER new apps list and a free trial system would be absolutely awesome, it would force shallow developers to make something decent if they want to sell anything and would help the buyer in purchasing something suitable.

People who are into piracy will not buy the app even when an alternative isn't there because thats just their mentality, and I agree with Daylater that it this could end up to more purchases anyways :P
01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Personally I think there is nothing wrong with the app store. All this talk of people getting tricked or duped into buying anything is total BS, and apps do not need any kind of trial period. This is no different from software on any other medium like consoles, handhelds, or PCs. You find a product that interests you, do your research (or don't) and risk some money on it. Then you are either satisfied or not.

Granted you can rent console games first. But with PCs you buy it and it's over.

It's now common knowledge that the App Store review system is terribly flawed, and anyone can review and app, and most people that review apps have an IQ of a sponge or possible a mushroom, which is exactly why sites like this, and AppVee, and Slide to Play exist. You have all the tools to figure out if apps are worth your money or not. There is really no need to bug Apple about it.
01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Great article, but I'm starting to worry about possible problems involving piracy for my own game, Bullet Skater.

The only real way to stop it is too have app-pirating sites shut down.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic