★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Play Football Is On Sale > $0.99!

11-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Play Football Is On Sale > $0.99!

Destroy Objects, Inc Update:
PLAY FOOTBALL Is On Sale For $0.99!

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that starting right now Play Football is on sale for 99... We will keep this price until we release the v2.0 update, which will include league play and a couple of other cool new additions, and then the price will jump back up to $2.99.

Thanks to everyone who has offered us suggestions and kind reviews, and everyone who has enjoyed playing Play Football!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Get your twitter accounts rolling and follow PlayFootball for a chance to win more free codes: Twitter: PlayFootball

Thanks for playing Play Football!
11-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Looks good, more of a coaching standpoint.
anyone wanna TOFTT

11-29-2009, 12:53 PM
ill think about buying it..
11-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I bought it. It's pretty cool. I left a review on iTunes but I'll give a quick impression here.

It is a coaching game...you call a play and the little dots run each play. The way the players (dots) move around is actually pretty realistic, and they move very fast, each play only taking just a few seconds.

So far (I'm playing my 2nd game now) the AI is better at completing passes than I am, much better. The score is close and not artificially high (just got a delay of game while typing this). Field goal kicks curve and can miss. Nice touch.

You unlock new plays as you progress, and they are unlocked fairly frequently which is good. Overall a very polished game...oh yeah the announcers say some pretty funny stuff too (text not voices). The game keeps statistics, but only for a single game it seems, which is kind of a bummer.

I've only played one game but my experience was that the game slowed down to a crawl as time progressed. In fact, at one point it was so slow that it stopped and crashed.

Upon restart it was fine again and continued where I left off...

Almost!

Note to dev:
When it crashed, it was right after the other team scored an extra point. When I restarted, the other team replayed their extra point, which counted against me. In other words they got 2 extra points in a row! Bug!

Also, I decided to play another game to check on the slowdown...it is doing it again. I'm using a 3G iPhone, OS 3.1, non JB. It's slowing down and I'm in the third quarter right now. It is moving at a crawl and slowing with every play.

I predict the game will freeze and crash soon. A restart of the game would probably fix it but I'm going to wait and see.

I just restarted the game and it fixed it, now I can complete it (I'm playing as I type this, sorry). There is definitely a problem here, hopefully it can be resolved.

Great game but it has a consistent slowdown problem, at least for me. Good news is that a quick restart (and the game does restart quick) fixes it. But the dev needs to address this. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is having the same issue.

If you're interested in this game I'd buy it now, even with the slowdown. Hopefully it will be fixed (currently a $.99 gamble).

Update
You are forced to quit the game after you complete a game. By quitting, I mean hitting the home button on your device. It says this is to maximize performance. A message actually pops up telling you to restart. Huh? That isn't a good sign that the slowdown problem will be fixed. Not at all. It's lazy (or poor) programming.

Updated-update: The dev says they are working on these issues. That's good to hear (see post below this one).

Summary
The game is still cool, but I hope they make an effort to fix the slowdown. That is a real issue for me. Also, the stat keeping could be better....saved over time during your "career" rather than just kept for a single game.

The game is very well presented and polished, and is fun to play. It would be a 9-10/10 game if a few of these issues were addressed (and it appears that that will be). But for now I'll say 6.5/10 (and that is generous considering the game was released with a known slowdown/crash issue). Fix the slowdowns and I'll go 8.5/10.

Last edited by schplurg; 11-29-2009 at 02:40 PM.
11-29-2009, 02:27 PM
@schplurg,

Awesome review, thanks a million!

All known bug issues are being addressed for v2... I'm glad you like the game and the major new feature of the next version is Season Mode, which will let you keep stats for the whole season... I hope you like it!

Peace,
Brian
Destroy Objects
11-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da shiz wiz 19 View Post
Looks good, more of a coaching standpoint.
anyone wanna TOFTT
It's been out for awhile, not really TOFTT anymore....
11-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.D. CrAzY View Post
It's been out for awhile, not really TOFTT anymore....
Oh I didnt know.
It looks good but I blew thru all my giftcards already
11-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doinc View Post
@schplurg,

Awesome review, thanks a million!

All known bug issues are being addressed for v2... I'm glad you like the game and the major new feature of the next version is Season Mode, which will let you keep stats for the whole season... I hope you like it!

Peace,
Brian
Destroy Objects
That's great news. I updated my review to mention you are addressing the issues. I think it's an overall great game, I hope I made that clear up above. Good luck with it!
11-29-2009, 04:05 PM
I enjoyed this game, but there is very little replay value at the moment. Hopefully the developers gets version 2 pushed out soon.
11-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Played a few more games. It's good. It takes less than 5 seconds to restart the game so I just exit at halftime then restart to avoid any slowdowns...til the update.