★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Flickitty: Real World Part III

11-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Flickitty: Real World Part III

Flickitty: Real World Part I
Flickitty: Real World Part II

This will be the last part.

Flickitty remained Free throughout the entire day of Nov 28th, and reverted back to the original price of $0.99 at midnight.

Worldwide, we had 8418 FREE downloads over a 24 hour period. 2692 of those downloads were from the USA.

So how are these numbers significant? Overall we saw about 1000+ more downloads than the previous day, but the USA actually DROPPED. Recently, the USA accounts for HALF of all worldwide downloads for both the free and full versions.

We had started to peak and plateau.

This morning Flickitty appeared at about #193 in Top Paid Adventure. It is unlikely that it will rise, as Flickitty has pretty much exhausted its potential and doesn't have the standings, news nor reviews to bring it out.

So how does Flickitty fair over all? Here are some serious numbers.

Flickitty Free has 118,953 downloads worldwide, with 22,088 coming from the USA.

Look at the second number really hard- we would be lucky to sell 2,208 copies in the USA which is only a 10% conversion.

BEFORE the 3 day free promotion, Flickitty had 6,415 purchases worldwide with 4,320 from the USA

Yes, after a month of release, Flickitty has sold a total of 4,320 copies in the USA, which amounts to about $3,024 to be shared between Dan East and I.

On the positive side, we have about a 19% conversion from free to full. If numbers hold true, we would need about 511,000 USA downloads of the free version in order to get 100,000 USA purchases. We are nowhere near that mark.

After the 3 day free promotion, we have 24,246 worldwide downloads, with 11,720 coming from the USA

So was this 3 day promotion worthwhile, or was it App Store suicide?

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone

Last edited by Flickitty; 11-29-2009 at 07:34 PM.
11-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Wow, this was a really interesting read. Thanks so much for sharing the info! It will be interesting to see what your numbers for paid are now. BTW, what were your numbers at before the FREE promo? Were they already low?

I picked up the FREE version (thanks!) during your promo and will let you know my thoughts on them. I'll try and be concrete, since I know what you mean about the importance of getting tangible feedback!

BTW, what is the diff between Flickitty Free and the full version?

Go to where the basketball court and arcade go 1 on 1 with Hoops Madness!

11-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileben View Post
Wow, this was a really interesting read. Thanks so much for sharing the info! It will be interesting to see what your numbers for paid are now.
I would like to see the numbers for the paid now too. I really wanna know if it was a good move. =)

And thx again to share with us!
11-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Quote:
After the 3 day free promotion, we have 24,246 worldwide downloads, with 11,720 coming from the USA

So was this 3 day promotion worthwhile, or was it App Store suicide?
Are you happy with 4 times the number of players for your game?

If not, you can probably wait a week and then drop the price to free again for another similar amount of downloads. This is what I have found with my games.

What would your ideal outcome have been?

Last edited by shen; 11-29-2009 at 06:06 PM.
11-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileben View Post
BTW, what were your numbers at before the FREE promo? Were they already low?

BTW, what is the diff between Flickitty Free and the full version?
Our numbers were already dipping way too low. We had a problem about a two weeks before where our apps completely fell out of the store for an entire day and didn't recover.

We need an average of 100 daily USA sales in order to sustain. Just before the 3 day free promotion, we had about 40 (maybe 50?) USA purchases.

Over a 30 day period, we have seen an average of 144 USA purchases per day. The most we have seen is 596 purchases in the USA on a single day.

These are the differences between the full and free versions as listed in the App Store:

Flickitty Free Features:
- 1 map (5+ in Full version)
- 1 gravity type (3 in Full version)
- 3 different tasks (19 in Full version)
- 3 hats to collect (20+ in Full Version)

The 1.05 update will be substantial and completely changes the entire game. It also includes an in-game map editor. But we won't count the changes for 1.05 at this time. I really don't think our problem is with Flickitty Free- we are seeing a 19% conversion to the full version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post
Are you happy with 4 times the number of players for your game? What would your ideal outcome have been?
I'm happy that we were able to increase our user base. At this point, it is unlikely that we will see any more sales of Flickitty- I think we have exhausted our immediate resources.

My ideal outcome would be to sustain 100 USA downloads a day. At that point I can continue to update Flickitty and work on other games.

However, I won't be truly happy until we have 100,000+ players, regardless of actual sales. If we had 100,000+ players and I STILL only sold 100 copies a day, I'd be happy.

11-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Looks like there is a problem with Flickitty's visibility. Perhaps small frequent updates ( couple of hats or quests) can bring the game to the "Recent Releases" section in appstore from time to time thus increasing the visibility of the game. It seems that with avalanche of new releases every day the game has a short window in which to capture the market. Otherwise it disappears into obscurity unless it drops in price or gets an update. Just underlines how important marketing is.
Good luck guys.
11-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugekava View Post
Looks like there is a problem with Flickitty's visibility. Perhaps small frequent updates ( couple of hats or quests) can bring the game to the "Recent Releases" section in appstore from time to time thus increasing the visibility of the game.
Unfortunately the App Store has changed, and an update will no longer bring Flickitty into Recent Release status.

We plan to keep releasing updates with new content and hats. However we can't keep doing it for free. We'll see how things go with the 1.05 update.

11-30-2009, 01:34 AM
thankyou for sharing your info... do let us know how the sales are in subsequent weeks? I think this is good as it will give you more WORD_OF_MOUTH advertisement. Good luck friend
11-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Sales resumed right where they left off, so the promotion has had a null effect so far. Sundays and Mondays are slow days anyway, but one would have expected at least a little boost.

I'm extremely happy with what I learned through this process, and I am working on different ideas for the business side.

Last edited by Flickitty; 11-30-2009 at 02:16 PM.
11-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey thats total of 24K people that could potentially get an update which contains DLC unlockables Direct marketing right there!