★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone App Rejected for being too Violent

11-29-2009, 07:41 PM
iPhone App Rejected for being too Violent

Hi all,

My app was rejected for being too violent. Yet there's a heap of violent apps in the store. I write about it here in my blog "iPhone App Rejected for being too Violent"

Anyone else had the same problem?

If you like the story please digg it.

Cheers,
Travis
11-29-2009, 07:54 PM
This is pretty typical of Apple. In the early days of the App Store someone wrote a little app that displayed a picture of a knife and would make slashing noises when you swung the device. Apple gave it the axe. Likewise there have been several shooters that depicted violence that was deemed too realistic to pass muster. In fact, one of the most recent controversies was ttursas' I Drop Dead, which had been in the App Store through several versions before Apple decided there was just too much blood and prevented any further updates to the existing game (though they left the original version, now free, to be available for download still), leading ttursas to release the Flower Edition out of spite.

The rule of thumb is, if it can depict remotely realistic violence on remotely realistic life forms -- or in your case, actual real life forms -- Apple will reject it. Change the blood to, say, green goo, or make your app shoot sucker darts instead, and you'd get approved without a hitch.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

11-29-2009, 08:03 PM
The violence in your game seems pretty excessive… What's to stop you putting a child in the camera view and splattering their brains everywhere. Despite it being virtual, it's still a very violent and ugly premise for an app.

Just change the pistol into a foam gun that bounces off the person, or a dart gun with suckers that sticks to their face. You could even have multiple weapons, like a pie shooter, or a ray gun… I think that would actually make it an app worth playing.
11-29-2009, 08:31 PM
That IS pretty violent, shooting real people with a virtual gun.
I don't know, it seems like a bad influence to younger kids

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
11-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggzbacon View Post
That IS pretty violent, shooting real people with a virtual gun.
I don't know, it seems like a bad influence to younger kids
but that is where the age ratings come in.

My Twitter: pcmaster160
Future Games Developers - Website - Twitter
11-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I can see why apple rejected this one. The only game that comes to mind that is as violent is CoD: Zombies. But that was shooting zombies, not real people. It definitely would be a bad idea for little children. But a game thats bloody like CoD: Zombies is okay because its not real people.

I like the idea of putting a dart gun in instead.

Playstaion Network: zachattacksox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kijib View Post
my guns are so big i cant scratch my nose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skate View Post
Why would you hold firearms while scratching your nose?
11-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattacksox View Post
I can see why apple rejected this one. The only game that comes to mind that is as violent is CoD: Zombies. But that was shooting zombies, not real people. It definitely would be a bad idea for little children. But a game thats bloody like CoD: Zombies is okay because its not real people.

I like the idea of putting a dart gun in instead.
Actually, I much prefer the idea of a dart gun as well. Especially if it made funny sound effects. Also, you have to consider the worldwide market. This could NEVER be sold in Germany, as the last time I checked they had strict regulations on FPSes.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
11-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice.

I dunno maybe I'm too desensitized to violence but I thought it would be great for kids. They run around playing "Cowboys and Indians" and they can't really tell who shot who. I thought an app that shows who got shot, by taking a photo would be great fun.

I do have the app in the store now but with a few options for shooting inanimate objects. But yes maybe a suction cup dart or something similar would be just as good or better than blood.

I might work on a update.

Any other options you think would add to it, let me know. I'm happy to take any ideas onboard. :-)

Thanks,
Travis
11-29-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm kinda torn. It's obvious that any sane person would be able to use this app responsibly and not as a training excercise for real murder, but I suppose Apple has to account for the fact total psychos may have access to it as well.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
11-30-2009, 12:36 AM
But surely a total psycho is a total psycho and was going to do what they were going to do anyway. Regardless of whether they play a "violent" game watch a violent movie or get told to do it by their neighbors dog.