★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Could a street fighter-like game work on the iPhone? Buttons?

11-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Could a street fighter-like game work on the iPhone? Buttons?

I need help. I'm creating a game similar to street fighter for the iPhone but my problem is the number of buttons needed and I don't wait to take up most of the screen with a virtual control pad. Wanted to know if any developers or anyone know of a similar game that makes it work or any control scheme that would?
11-30-2009, 02:38 PM
you mean like Blades of Fury??????

Games I'm Playing: Doom Classic, Red Conquest!, Battle for Wesnoth, Land Air Sea Warfare (my favorite rts, buy it today!)

11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
thanks for the reply, No not like BOF since I believe it has only a couple of buttons the game I'm planning on would have around 6 and a dpad.
11-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Send a message via AIM to onewithchaos
why dont you do something like mvc2. Four buttons

O1 O3
O2 O4

O1, lp, tap again to do mp
O2, lk, tap again to do mk
O3, hp
O4, hk.

maybe the four buttons placed diagonally on lower right, i think that would work. Also have one button on top right to activate all 3 punches and one button on middle bottom to do all kicks.
11-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Send a message via AIM to onewithchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega89191 View Post
I need help. I'm creating a game similar to street fighter for the iPhone but my problem is the number of buttons needed and I don't wait to take up most of the screen with a virtual control pad. Wanted to know if any developers or anyone know of a similar game that makes it work or any control scheme that would?
I am a very hard core 2d-fighter fan. I've played a lot of them. Street fighter 1,2,3, alpha1, alpha 2, alpha 3. 3rd strike, sf4, Many of the vs series. Marvel vs capcom, marvel vs street fighter, marvel vs capcom 2, guilty gear, etc.

If you need any more tips, advice, idea, please pm me, I'll be glad to help in any way.
11-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Great idea. I will check into that more when I get off of work and send u a pm
11-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Please, for the sake of the holy gods of portable gaming, GET RID OF THE ONSCREEN BUTTONS. If you want to make a button masher, then move to a platform that has buttons. Otherwise, rethink the controls into a more dynamic and fluid system.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
11-30-2009, 05:44 PM
I doubt if 6 buttons pad would work out. It will flood the screen and there won't be visual for the players.

Nexx Studio - Indie Game Publisher - Blog | Facebook | Twitter
Dulp - Zig Zag Boom - Sidechain - Warship Solitaire - Bloom Box - Pig Shot - Glow Puzzle - The Idiot Test 3 - and more awesome games!
11-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickitty View Post
Please, for the sake of the holy gods of portable gaming, GET RID OF THE ONSCREEN BUTTONS. If you want to make a button masher, then move to a platform that has buttons. Otherwise, rethink the controls into a more dynamic and fluid system.
+1

I totally agree with this... from all of the Iphone games I've played, generally speaking the less onscreen buttons (that are directly involved in gameplay) the better. I can only imagine this would be made even more prominent when playing a fighting game, or any game that involves quick response, 'button mashing' gameplay.

I think the idea for fighting games on the Iphone is great. Some game genres translate better to the Iphone due to their control mechanisms. I think it would be tough to have a great fighting game without someone coming up with some new control mechanics that work more fluidly with the Iphone's inherent layout.

Good luck with your game though, trying to do what your doing will only help refine these types of games!
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
I'd have to agree, six buttons on screen would just clutter the gameplay. I suggest that you also look into swipe mechanics.

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com