★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Squares and Colony: Two great puzzlers

01-08-2009, 03:54 AM
Squares and Colony: Two great puzzlers

hi there

Today, an update for the free game Squares appeared. Since nobody seems to know of Squares and Colony (both from the same dev), I'll give you a brief overview.

Both games are strategic puzzlers, where you have to own the playfield with your pieces.

In Squares (free) you move square blocks either diagonal (moving) or horizontal or vertical (copying). Once you arrive at the new position, the neighboring fields get you color, if they were previously owned by the opponent.

http://appshopper.com/games/squares

In Colony (0,99) the playfield consists of hex fields. Each hex field is divided into six subfields. When you tap on a hexfield, you fill one subfield. If all subfields are filled, the hexfield explodes and the six subfields add to the surrounding hexfields, which may produce chain reactions, which can reverse the playfield with one single tap. It may look a bit like the newer Frenzic, but the gameplay is not based on time and reflex and luck, but on strategic thinking and therefore completely different.

http://appshopper.com/games/colony

Both games are polished, not expensive and give you hours of gameplay. They allow you to play your own music and offer different playfields.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
01-21-2009, 03:10 PM
I completely missed this thread when you posted it. I've been eyeballing Colony for a long time. It's only $.99, so I couldn't tell you why I never bought it.

Has anyone else tried it?
01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure if you are the developer or not, but I found a bug in Squares. If the computer only has one move left, after it moves and the user moves, the game freezes as the computer cannot move back to the original spot yet it doesn't trigger a "you win" screen. I had to reset my ipod to get out of it.
01-22-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm not the dev . I think he submitted an update for this issue.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
04-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Colony is now free.

hi