★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pelagic Tones

01-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Pelagic Tones

Does anybody know what this is? The dev gives an extremely vague description and their website is pretty much nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't anything great, but I'm curious.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=301337865&mt=8
01-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
a game you can play with your eyes closed ?

oh, cuz you listen to the music get more intense

getting warmer...

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !

01-08-2009, 01:27 PM
What the hell. I'll buy it. I'll let you know.
01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
+ 1 for curiosity.

Thanks for taking the plunge Billhouse... Looking forward to your report.
01-08-2009, 01:54 PM
I just completed the game.

The object is to slide your finger around your screen to find different tones. On the first screen you look feel around the screen until it says "Hold It There". That's the first tone. After you hold for a second or two, water appears. Looks like pop-up-book graphics, or like waves look on a stage set. You can look around by sliding your finger, it is a 360 degree loop. You have to find the next tone.
The tones start out quiet and get louder as you near the spot they want you to hold, the music quiets as you move past the point to help you find the middle. There are 15 tones you must find, one at a time. After you find each tone, another 3d pop-up appears, adding to the scene. The tones add to each other making music, like the stuff you heard at those crystal and incense selling stores at the mall. Soothing I guess.

There is only one level, 15 tones and you have finished it. You can then pan around the finished scene and listen to the song. Other than finding the tones, nothing is interactive. I think that with more levels this could be pretty entertaining.
Because of the way the scene appears I dont believe there is going to be much replay value, after a while, I'll know where everything is. But it's very simple anyway. The completed song at the end has a strange stop when it is looping, but it's no huge issue.

That said, I can't complain for a minute about spending a buck on it. I feel fine about the purchase, I hope they will add more environments to build in an update. If you appreciate something different I'd say give it a run. Just remember, it's quick and easy.

EDIT: I did forget to say that the pop-up graphics are animated and there is a lot going on in the scene.

Ed

Last edited by Billhouse; 01-08-2009 at 02:00 PM.
01-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
damn

well thank you for taking one for the team

*salutes* !

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
01-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for trying it. Sounds it could be really interesting if they added more to it. If nothing else, I have to hand it to them for be creative.
01-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Two more things:
I was right about replay value, although I could start timing myself and make it a race.

You need headphones if there is any other noise around you.
01-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi guys,

I did the sound and programming for Pelagic Tones. My girlfriend did the art.

First off, Billhouse, we really appreciate your App Store review. It's the best we could have hoped for with the current version of the game.

As for the hiccup in the loop, that's a known bug. Unfortunately, I'm dependent on the people who make the game engine I use to fix that the actual music files loop cleanly. There are a couple other known issues, which are beyond my control, and I will post those in a FAQ on our site. I will provide updates immediately as soon as the issues can be resolved.

Pelagic Tones is a reworking of our first game, which we made for web browsers in late 2007. I know it's very short, but I figured some people would still get enjoyment out of it. We are currently working on a bigger game, which I think will do well. If people are interested in free updates with more Pelagic Tones gameplay after that, we'd love to do it; it's just a matter of time for us, balancing jobs, school, and making games!

I'm going to be putting a gameplay video on YouTube later today. Personally, I don't like buying games without demos, so I'd love to offer one, but I haven't been able to think of anything that would make sense. We would love to hear any suggestions that anyone has, either in this thread, or at the support email address on teamuv.net.
01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
A demo video is always a good idea. Having played the game I think it will be more difficult to do than other games. Main problem is not giving away the surprise of the graphics that are revealed. I made sure not to do that in my review, and it is the main problem with a video. I would suggest close-up views of a finger revealing one or two of the earlier animations, you could have a black screen while running the audio getting louder then show just a split-second a small portion of the screen.