★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Doki Doki Bloki out. ($.99)

12-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Doki Doki Bloki out. ($.99)

Appstore link:

http://appshopper.com/games/doki-doki-bloki

Looks like another nice version of Picross. At only $.99 I may have to get this!
12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Its a great picross game with TONS of personality. I especially love the music.

However, TERRIBLE... and I repeat... TERRIBLE controls. I find myself making constant mistakes because of the controls, and as a result you get time penalties.

I still play it though, I just have to be extremely cautious where I move...

"I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it" - John Cage
Plus+ ID= Maythius

Game Center: Maythius

12-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
12-01-2009, 05:59 PM
What exactly is so bad about the controls, like are they too sensitive, too stiff?
Just wondering.
12-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztfox View Post
What exactly is so bad about the controls, like are they too sensitive, too stiff?
Just wondering.
First off they are placed awkwardly on the screen (like having the d-pad above the statistics) As well as their responsiveness; it's very poor. You can't hold to move; you have to constantly tap, and you can't move too quickly or it won't register. Due to the lay out of the other buttons, you constantly hit the wrong buttons, which is bad. For example, I want to mark an X to indicate where there isn't a block, but I hit the block button by accident so now I'm going to lose time on the clock for something I didn't mean to do.

The controls may be bad, but as long as you pay attention to what you are hitting, you'll be okay. It just gets irritating on the larger pics

"I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it" - John Cage
Plus+ ID= Maythius

Game Center: Maythius
12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Hmm, the graphics are nice

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
12-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi!

First of all - thanks for making this thread on Touch Arcade. Feel a bit bad. It probably should have been us that started it!

We're actually cramming and testing to push out an update to Doki Doki Bloki. Should be submitted today and fixes three known issues.

We've put up a support page here:

http://dokidokigames.com/dokidokigames/Support.html

@Maythius thanks for being the first to give some feedback on the game. The points you make on the input are really useful.

We're not a fans of the fake d-pad in iPhone games but we decided NOT to use the touch screen for dropping the bloks due to touch inaccuracies with the larger puzzles. The DS Picross game forced you to zoom out the puzzle which, in our onion, made you lose all perspective on the puzzle!

We placed the d-pad it at the top of the screen for comfort. Putting it there means you can fully support the device in your hands while playing. This means though that the stats are in the lower corner purely because there was nowhere else for them to go! Once the puzzles get big, there's not a lot of screen left!

What's your opinion on the cross and the blok buttons? Do they need to be spaced out more? Originally we made the cross button smaller so it would be harder to accidentally hit but it just made it hard to hit. We could try moving it closer to the bomb button if you're finding you're constantly hitting it by accident?

Finally, back to the d-pad. We really did struggle with this. I don't see us doing another game with the virtual d-pad because they aren't really suited to any touch screen game but it felt like the only choice for Doki Doki Bloki.

We will definitely take a look at the hold to move though. I don't think it will make 1.1 since it's really a maintenance build and we want to get that out ASAP. However, I think it might work.

I'm guessing you'll want to be able to hold an arrow to move AND the blok button to ink? Sound good?

Will let you know how it's going!

Thanks again for the feedback. We love to hear from players and want to get your opinions on the game. We'll be active on the Touch Arcade forum. You can also suggest features on the website of go directly here:

http://dokidokigames.uservoice.com/

Thanks again for playing. Did you try getting your free copy of the soundtrack yet?

P.S. We're putting the finishing touches to 'Doki Doki Retro Arcade'. It's not exactly a game, but it is game related and kinda fun Will post about that here and in the 'up and coming' section in the next few days.
12-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Have you guys thought of using a relative control pad for moving the cursor?

Something like what was used in Mouse About and Bobby Carrot. What you could do is touch anywhere on the screen and drag left, right, up, or down to move the cursor for marking blocks and hold the direction you just drug to move over multiple blocks quickly.
12-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I've not played Mouse About or Bobby Carrot so I can't give a greatly informed opinion. I'll download them and take a look. The controls you describe do sound a bit like Dropship (I think it was Dropship, the ngMoco game) where the controls are wherever your finger are. Something like that?

It's a good idea but we were trying to go for accessibility and the concept of Picross can be confusing if you've never played it before - so add on virtual controls and it MIGHT but a big put off. I say MIGHT. I will take a look at the two games you recommended and if it's a fit we could put an option in for control schemes.

Thanks for the feedback!
12-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Looking forward to see how the controls turn out!