★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best things to do when featured

12-02-2009, 01:59 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to micah
Best things to do when featured

teh internets just got featured in Hot New Games! Very exciting. So this begs the question, what can I do to make the most out of it?

My understanding of iPhone marketing is it's best to stack as much hype together as possible to try to get as many sales as possible to try to push up as high as you can on the top charts before the hype fades, and hope that you stay there. So now that my game is getting featured, is there anything that you suggest I do that might milk it for all it's worth?

I don't want to go on sale (I'm trying to stick it out at $2). It might be overkill to write a press release about getting featured. Any suggestions, or should I just enjoy it?

--=] Insurgent Games website | twitter [=-
Cryptose (TA) - Skeleton Key (TA) - Skeleton Key HD (TA link) - Aeropack (TA)
12-02-2009, 02:30 AM
If you think it's overkill then it is probably just what you need to do.

People need to be clubbed over the head with press releases- if they didn't pay attention to your first press release, maybe they will after you are FEATURED.

Unfortunately, we didn't send press releases while we were featured, and I wish I had. I had just sent a bunch out just 3 days before, though.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone

12-02-2009, 02:32 AM
Great question. I hit the position recently (congrats!) and was kind of stuck since my game was already 99 cents. I hit some review sites, but it's hard to have them review a small game. Yours has a little bit of 'zomg crazy' appeal, so it might be easier to get featured.

I don't know how sales are at $1.99 or where you're at in the charts, but my guess is that it's worth it to break into the top charts at any cost. Not so true for the Gamelofts and EAs, but if you don't have any advertising budget, I think it might be worth it.

I have no personal experience however, and the above is speculation. I'd love to hear from someone who's actually been in the same position.
12-02-2009, 05:03 AM
Send a message via MSN to tukun
congratz on getting featured.
abit off topic but anyone has examples of a press release?
12-02-2009, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukun View Post
Here is my latest.
12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Charmed also got featured in Hot New Games.

Where does one normally send a press release to? Do you just handpick people to email it to or is there a more general sort of newswire or something?
12-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to micah
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukun View Post
Here's an example of our latest press release:
http://media.insurgentgames.com/2009...s_Released.pdf

Honestly, we just looked at how other people were writing press releases (you can search through them at places like gamespress.com or verticalwire.com).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindJuice View Post
Charmed also got featured in Hot New Games.

Where does one normally send a press release to? Do you just handpick people to email it to or is there a more general sort of newswire or something?
I'm still trying to figure that out. I've been building up a media list spreadsheet for some time now, and almost everyone on there is an iPhone app review site, and there are a couple that are just blogs about Macs or video games and sometimes do iPhone reviews. Also, its free to get your stuff up on gamespress.com, and I think a lot of the video game press looks there for news. And also verticalwire.com seems like it would be useful, but after repeated attempts to try to get them to let us publish our own press releases, we haven't been approved and they've been ignoring our emails.

The nice thing about a press release is it's less work for bloggers and news site to cover your game, because they can either take stuff from it or even just publish your press release.

Ok ... so now it's time to try to figure out how to make a one-page press release sound exciting when all it really says is "teh internets is featured in Hot New Game"...

--=] Insurgent Games website | twitter [=-
Cryptose (TA) - Skeleton Key (TA) - Skeleton Key HD (TA link) - Aeropack (TA)
12-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Just don't be shy when it comes to your game.

I know a lot of developers have felt ignored and snubbed, and talking about your game seems pointless sometimes. But getting featured is a really big deal and justification for your efforts.

From what I was told by Apple, Featured Games are chosen based on Apples own criteria and those chosen apps stay on the list for a week or two. That in itself makes it a big deal- nobody else can put you on a featured list.

I make the effort to check out as many games as possible, but sometimes I need to be beat over the head with a stick before I try a game. I'm not any better than the average consumer or news outlet- how do I know what is good and what is worth my time?

In recent days, I've tried these games from fellow TAers:

Charmed Lite- MindJuice
Tap-Fu Lite- Knight

Charmed is a cool little puzzle game, and then I discovered you could flip the device around and IT CHANGES THE GRAVITY. That blew my mind and totally changes the way the puzzles work. It is now a Featured game.

Tap-Fu is done in the way I think all Platformers should follow. The lack of clunky onscreen buttons make this game really interactive and pleasurable. The artwork, storyline and effort are simply stunning.

I almost overlooked both these games, because they seem like your average game with beautiful artwork. BOTH of them surprised me.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
12-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickitty View Post

Tap-Fu is done in the way I think all Platformers should follow. The lack of clunky onscreen buttons make this game really interactive and pleasurable. The artwork, storyline and effort are simply stunning.
Thanks. I think I'm going to quote you on our app description, as that captures exactly what we were aiming for. We put a lot of effort behind marketing Tap-Fu and pretty much burned out from it, without much success. What's interesting is that other similar game did (or are doing) much better.

As for being featured, you should see if the current price is helping to rise in sales. If not, then try lowering the price. But what I found personally (and this data is about 11 months old) is that the higher the price the better the revenue. 99 cents really really sucks unless you are up there in the top paid apps lists.
12-02-2009, 03:28 PM
i hope i'm not intruding, but i'd like to make a suggestion. it's also hard for us to keep track of previously featured apps unless we pay attention to the App Store's featured games everyday - or several times during the day, but for those who got promo codes and previously reviewed the game, a simple heads up via PM, email or twitter will do. i personally plug these updates on twitter - i always feel good when devs get a nice break and i feel proud for having reviewed a game before it became famous

i don't know about the effect on sales or marketing, but i suppose giving away a few promo codes to select people to promote the game while it's featured on the app store helps create some buzz, especially on twitter. at least that's what i learned from experience.

there is even one dev who didn't know her game has been on the new and noteworthy list for some time now and i was the one who gave her the heads up and even had to email her a screenshot, too. hehehe