★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

My App was pirated - what should i do?

12-02-2009, 08:55 PM
My App was pirated - what should i do?

One week after it hit the App Store, i found links to illegal copies of my first iPhone App.

I have no experience with this kind of thing.
I know i can't prevent it anymore (now that it's circulating), but maybe someone knows how to make it more difficult for them next time? I have another project in the works that I've invested over 10 months hard work, and I rather not have this happen again, if there is a way to prevent it.

I did ask the host to remove the links from his site, but it's probably on 10 other sites by now. Ideas?

I'm a bit amazed they'd bother to pirate a $.99 cent app, but I guess that's the world we live in

Game: Captain Temporium Game: Newton's Dice HD App: WOTA: U-Boat Compass

Upcoming Subsim: WOTA Wolves of the Atlantic (WWII U-Boat simulation iOS, Mac/PC/Linux)
Newest WOTA-Newsletter: STATE OF THE GAME
12-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIC20 View Post
One week after it hit the App Store, i found links to illegal copies of my first iPhone App.

I have no experience with this kind of thing.
I know i can't prevent it anymore (now that it's circulating), but maybe someone knows how to make it more difficult for them next time? I have another project in the works that I've invested over 10 months hard work, and I rather not have this happen again, if there is a way to prevent it.

I did ask the host to remove the links from his site, but it's probably on 10 other sites by now. Ideas?

I'm a bit amazed they'd bother to pirate a $.99 cent app, but I guess that's the world we live in
Unfortunately, that is the world we live in - a world filled with a-holes that would prefer to pirate an app than pay a dollar to support the dev. The only method to essentially stop pirates is to make a free app and have all the features as DLC for a dollar.

Plus+: MiniMe ~ OF: Problem ~ Gameloft: Change ~ AGON: Negamaki

12-02-2009, 09:11 PM
There have been many, many threads here discussing piracy and the general consensus is that it happens to everyone and there is really very little that can be done to stop it and it's best to try and ignore it. However if you're game requires data stored in a server in order to be playable then you can easily check if devices requesting that data are running a legitimate copy of the game.

Check out Sheepish, 100+ levels of puzzle fun! With sheep!
And more about us: www.pixelthismobile.com
plus+ id: Newtz
12-02-2009, 09:18 PM
RipDev used to have some code to put in your game but you had to pay for it. Also now that the ripdev closed it's gone. Just live with it it's not too bad.

My Twitter: pcmaster160
Future Games Developers - Website - Twitter
12-02-2009, 09:38 PM
"It happens to everyone, deal with it"

Is it just me or does that kind of sentiment bother anyone else? You're essentially saying, "Let them steal from you. Ignore it."

Well, I have to say if a stranger walked into any one of our homes and grabbed even just a single dollar bill off a table and walked out again, I sincerely doubt any of us would just say, "Oh well" and ignore it. If a thousand strangers did it, we surely wouldn't.

App piracy is the exact same thing only easier. No matter how little it appears can be done about it, I for one don't believe that means we should all just roll over an accept it.

Q

Quorlan
12-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Beat their mothers
12-02-2009, 09:54 PM
So what do you propose we do about it then? The reason people say to forget about it and move on is that a lot of time can be spent fighting and losing the piracy battle that could otherwise have been spent getting legitimate customers to notice the app. The pirates have all the time in the world and they enjoy the challenge of cracking apps so they will always be able to find new ways to counter any anti-piracy measures we put in place.

Of course no developer is happy about losing income to piracy but currently it is rampant on the iDevices and most of the developers are only very small players.

12-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I'll admit I don't have a solution. I wish I did. I'm just not willing to simply accept it. I prefer to do what can be done about it. Using DLC at the moment seems to be the best approach to help combat it. Release a free version with the paid version available as downloadable content. So far, there doesn't seem to be a way around that without resorting to relatively elaborate and fraudulent methods.

On a related note, in another thread there was a discussion about downloadable vs. unlockable content. If the paid content is merely unlocked (and therefore built into the free version download) that doesn't get around the problem. If the pirated have the content, they can crack it open, if they have to pay to get the content, they're out of luck.

Quorlan
12-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Exactly, server based solutions are definately our best weapon at the moment

12-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Send a message via AIM to onewithchaos
I believe the dev from meteor blitz was mentioning that he did something with his app....Maybe if he reads this he can tell you and help you