★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Should there be a standard for games to ask for sound on startup

12-02-2009, 09:00 PM
#1
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
Should there be a standard for games to ask for sound on startup

It's all in the title Should there be a standard for games to ask if you want sound on startup. Just like in flight control.

My Twitter: pcmaster160
Future Games Developers - Website - Twitter
12-02-2009, 09:02 PM
#2
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 2,437
yep...i like the way edge...or edgy does it

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ

12-02-2009, 09:11 PM
#3
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
How do they do it? I don't have that game

My Twitter: pcmaster160
Future Games Developers - Website - Twitter
12-02-2009, 09:14 PM
#4
The extra step at every launch bugs me... besides, on the iPhone you have a switch for that.

Solution:

* Ask on first launch, but only for Touch users, not iPhone users.

* Have an option right below the question for whether to ask every time or not.

* If you say not to ask, or if you have an iPhone (which defaults to that choice) you can still re-enable the question via a setting.

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
12-02-2009, 09:22 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams Immersive View Post
The extra step at every launch bugs me... besides, on the iPhone you have a switch for that.

Solution:

* Ask on first launch, but only for Touch users, not iPhone users.

* Have an option right below the question for whether to ask every time or not.

* If you say not to ask, or if you have an iPhone (which defaults to that choice) you can still re-enable the question via a setting.
That's what I was thinking of doing in my apps. But just wanted to know if everyone likes it. So everyone like the option to ask for sound on launch but it also can be hidden but re enabled in settings

My Twitter: pcmaster160
Future Games Developers - Website - Twitter
12-02-2009, 10:22 PM
#6
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,770
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
I think iPhones with the silent switch on should not have any sound. I don't like it when a game plays music even if my silent switch is on.
12-02-2009, 11:39 PM
#7
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 704
also if you are currently playing music through music/ipod app then it should automatically choose no sound without asking you and keep your music playing
12-02-2009, 11:42 PM
#8
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
That's what I was thinking of doing in my apps. But just wanted to know if everyone likes it. So everyone like the option to ask for sound on launch but it also can be hidden but re enabled in settings
Definitely the best option, I can't see any reason why someone wouldn't like it.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
12-02-2009, 11:44 PM
#9
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1233 View Post
I think iPhones with the silent switch on should not have any sound. I don't like it when a game plays music even if my silent switch is on.
But the thing about that is sometimes I don't want game sound but I do want calls texts and emails to ring.

Also yes almost all apps' sound turn off when silent switch is on. That is already standard.

My Twitter: pcmaster160
Future Games Developers - Website - Twitter
12-02-2009, 11:58 PM
#10
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: State of Hysteria
Posts: 1,487
Send a message via AIM to RankoSao
this would be a very good idea. i found that i cant play some games in public because of the noise they make. The iPhone has tiny speakers, but those speakers get LOUD. Real Racing sounds like a jet engine taking off, that's how loud it gets.