★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

developing games on windows?

12-03-2009, 01:46 AM
developing games on windows?

Is there any way to develop iphone/ipod touch games on windows?
12-03-2009, 03:21 AM
Short answer: no
Long answer: Maybe, if you had some sort of virtual environment set up. I tried that route, and it was terribly slow on my machine (running virtualized OS X). Someone who knows what they're doing might have more luck.

You may also check out the Unity engine. It allows porting games to iPhone, as well as a standalone browser plugin. I believe the IDE works for Windows and Mac. You MIGHT be able to write the game and test it on Windows, but AFAIK the only way to actually transfer to your iPhone or upload to the App Store is with a Mac.

I was in a similar position and I spent $550 on a Mac Mini for iPhone dev -- haven't regretted it.

12-03-2009, 03:24 AM
You could make a Flash game in Windows... I dunno what you'd need to port it over though, and let's face it... it's probably just not as good.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
12-03-2009, 09:24 AM
To entirely develop iPhone games on Windows is not realistic, you need a Mac in the chain at some point. You can however do a significant amount of development on the Windows platform.

From what I've read, Minigore is developed mainly on windows, the gameplay videos are captured on windows and they use an XBox 360 joypad to control the game.

The new book iPhone Game Projects, edited by Dave Mark, has a chapter on developing cross platform games. It might be worth taking a look at it.
12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Flickitty is mostly developed on Windows. It is 99% C/C++ and only uses Objective C to bind the necessary things to OSX. We use equivalents to OSX that are used in Windows.

However, a Mac is still required.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
12-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflc View Post
Is there any way to develop iphone/ipod touch games on windows?
we use a cross platform development environment - pretty much like flickitty mentioned; we developed a lot of our games on linux and windows.. we also have builds for mac osx (native) but the end result needs to be compiled using xcode; you need their signing tools built into xcode for releasing on the app store.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
12-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Same here, 95% of Besiegement was developed on Windows using Visual Studio for the superior (imho) environment and debugging tools. But the last 5% still has to be done on a Mac.

I couldn't stand xcode... even after remapping most of the keys. The home key should take you to the beginning of text on the line, not column 1. grrrr
12-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picticon View Post
I couldn't stand xcode... even after remapping most of the keys. The home key should take you to the beginning of text on the line, not column 1. grrrr
lol my favorite is that control+c takes you to the last line.... apple+c of course does a copy

Get fired up and hit the road in Assault Bandit
Take flight through the night skies in Unicorn Rush!
Spark It Up! - Zombie Dash - Anomaly - www.sumiguchi.com - Videos Here!
Have a toddler at home? Take a break while they learn to count: Count With Me (Free - No ads/links or other BS)
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypeon View Post
I was in a similar position and I spent $550 on a Mac Mini for iPhone dev -- haven't regretted it.
no point to waste money on another computer if you already have a PC.. just install OSX86...

<< Check out our AppStore game titles: Tyrian, Super Methane Brothers, Cryptix, Powermanga, Rise Of The Triad >>
12-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picticon View Post
Same here, 95% of Besiegement was developed on Windows using Visual Studio for the superior (imho) environment and debugging tools. But the last 5% still has to be done on a Mac.

Very curious -- are you using C++ instead of Obj-C to write the game? Or how is that you're able to use Visual Studio? I absolutely HATE XCode, and would be much happier in Visual Studio or Eclipse.