★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Tower Defense Games

01-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Tower Defense Games

Until about two days ago I had never heard of or seen a Tower Defense game, but thought that FieldRunners looked fun.
I didn't buy it, but instead I got Tap Defense which I am becoming addicted to (damn level 29!).

Is FieldRunners the best TD game on the iPhone/Touch or is there something better ?
01-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I for one really enjoy 7 Cities. It has many more features than Fieldrunners. Other recommendations would be The Creeps!, and Crystal Defenders. Save Crystal Defenders for when you want a challenge, as it is easily the hardest of the above mentioned games.

01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I'd recommend buying Fieldrunners as they have forums on their site and the devs accept suggestions. They are updating with new maps/enemies and towers.

The gameplay is fun where you can choose the path they take which means you have more strategies available. I bought this game when it had only one level and I thought it was worth it. Just look at the rating in the app store, 685 reviews at 4.5 star average

7 Cities is good also, but in a different way. As you can't choose the path the enemies take.

Here is a site where you can play Desktop Tower Defence game where you choose the path they take:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/pree...er-defense-1-5

Try it to see if you like

Last edited by DanM; 01-09-2009 at 10:52 AM.
01-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Definitely check Fieldrunners (it is still the best one out there), then try its action twisted and really fun version called Zombie attack!.
01-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
I'd recommend that you buy Fieldrunners first and if you like it enough, you should also buy 7 Cities.

Fieldrunners is a very high quality TD with amazing artwork. For me, it's the most addicting TD even with the small amount of towers and updgrades. There is an update coming soon that includes two new towers and I think a new map or two as well. This one is a must have for the iPhone especially if you're considering buying a first TD game. This is the best choice for someone new to TD games.

If you truly want more TD games, I'd recommend 7 Cities. It's got some pretty decent artwork (I prefer Fieldrunners' graphics, though) and it has some very nice features. This could possibly be the best TD if they would make it so you can make your own maps (similar to Fieldrunners), but for now, they have seven premade levels in the game. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'd prefer to be able to make my own design of towers (hopefully I worded that ok).

By far, the best thing about this TD is the amount of towers and upgrades available. It has 6 towers and each may be upgraded twice with yellow gems. You can choose which upgrade you'd like (for example you can make an arrow tower have a higher critical hit rate or make the shooting range around it longer - I think). There are also upgrades with orbs that increase the damage the tower can do. You can upgrade the damage an infinite amount of times. You can also obtain red gems that let you buy new tower upgrades from a store. It may seem confusing at first, but you'll get the hang of it. The upgrade system in this game is amazing compared to Fieldrunners'.

It was kind of hard for me to word and explain 7 Cities, but hopefully you'll understand.

Anyway, I'd get both. They're fantastic TD games Hope that helps

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
01-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Fieldrunners is an odd situation. It's very popular, but mostly by virtue of really nice graphics and being friendly. Plus, it's very popular, which tends to beget more downloads since people assume it's really good. On the other hand, a lot of Tower Defense enthusiasts don't like it because it doesn't have that much depth to it. If there is an update coming, maybe this will change.

Personally, I think 7 Cities is the best overall TD app. Some people prefer TD games where you construct your own maze though, which 7 Cities does not do (it wouldn't fit the theme anyway).

Besiegement is another good one. It has tons of depth and supports both maze-construction and premade-path styles of play, but it is low on polish. That is, the graphics are poor and it just doesn't feel as professional as 7 Cities or Fieldrunners.

Zombie Attack is not really a traditional TD game, but it's sort of similar and lots of fun. Plus, it's cheap. Highly recommended.

I'd start out by downloading the free versions of several other TD games to get a wider perspective on the genre and go from there, or try some maze-construction type games on the web and see if you like that style.
01-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Wow I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned the The Creeps. Quirky gameplay, needs more levels but other then that it's a LOT of fun.

Though Besiegement is still my faviorate since it is the most challenging. If the guy who makes Besigement can follow up with a nice upgrade and the possibility of a map editor then it will be by far my faviorate TD since I will constantly have new maps to play through.
01-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Fieldrunners is a nice introduction to this kind of game. Simple and polished.

If you're already enjoying Tap Defense then you should consider 7 Cities because it has more depth but it's not complicated. An update is coming that'll make even easier to play. Once you understand tower upgrading you'll want to play it until you beat all 7 maps! It's really nice.

Get both!

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
01-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfsige View Post
Wow I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned the The Creeps. Quirky gameplay, needs more levels but other then that it's a LOT of fun.

Though Besiegement is still my faviorate since it is the most challenging. If the guy who makes Besigement can follow up with a nice upgrade and the possibility of a map editor then it will be by far my faviorate TD since I will constantly have new maps to play through.
Well, I'd recommend it, but it can't beat the quality of Fieldrunners and 7 Cities (for now).

The thing I LOVE about The Creeps is that it's fast paced! It keeps you on the edge of your seat and prevents the game from getting boring after a while. The animations are very nice too, but I'd really like to see sound sometime in the future.

Another TD worth mentioning is iTD. It's got some fairly basic artwork, but I actually like the graphics a lot. There are many towers and upgrades to pick from, and I think this is the most challenging of all the TD games.

Zombie Attack! is a cheap and fun TD with different gameplay than the other iPhone TDs. I really recommend this one because of how long it can keep you occupied and the decent 3D graphics. Not to mention the $1 price.

Finally, the last TD worth mentioning is Besiegement. I think there are six or eight towers to choose from (haven't played in a long time), and each one has 6 upgrades. There are several enemies/creeps and many levels and options to choose from. It has decent graphics, and it'll keep you playing for a while until you beat it. It's not too challenging, but it is lots of fun. I think this was the first iPhone TD with more depth to it than Fieldrunners.

If you get all of these TDs, you should be good. They'll last you a long time (or until the next great TD comes out ). The rest of the TDs on the app store aren't worth mentioning.

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
01-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Crystal Defence, good game with bad control/graphic.