★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Should I buy A-Yo Sushi Master?

12-03-2009, 07:20 AM
#1
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 131
Should I buy A-Yo Sushi Master?

I'm sorely tempted to buy it, but right now it's $3.99. Another problem is I can barely understand the app description - it seems like a badly translated piece.

Right now there are a little over 50 ratings, average of 4.5. The written reviews seem to be written by the devs or their friends since most of them only reviewed other games by NATE or the first game they ever reviewed as a-yo. All the reviews are pretty short. One said the game won't run on his iPhone.

Still, the game looks nice, the vid seems ok and I do love sushi. I haven't found any site that reviews the game so I'm really clueless about what it does.

How reliable are the ratings sans reviews? Should I wait for a holiday sale? Should I sit this one out?


Thanks!

Last edited by enuhski; 12-03-2009 at 11:15 AM.
12-03-2009, 08:01 AM
#2
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,678
I would say no. I don't have it, briefly heard of it, but I looked it up in iTunes. The vast majority of those reviews are shills. If you click on the reviewer's name, you can see the apps they've reviewed. The people who reviewed A-Yo "conveniently" only reviewed other Nate Games -or- they had only reviewed A-Yo [lead me to suspect fake accounts were created just to review the game]

12-03-2009, 11:16 AM
#3
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 131
thanks derek420! what do you think about the ratings? because there are around 72 ratings at 4-1/2...
12-03-2009, 03:43 PM
#4
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,678
Well..I mean I went through about 2 pages of reviews and almost all of them were shills. Just because of that, I wouldn't buy it. If a dev resorts to shilling, then that instantly puts me off of the app.
12-03-2009, 04:16 PM
#5
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuhski View Post
Should I buy A-Yo Sushi Master?
I dunno, should I buy some new shoes?

Two guys walked into a bar. You think they would've seen it or something.
12-03-2009, 05:12 PM
#6
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek420 View Post
Well..I mean I went through about 2 pages of reviews and almost all of them were shills. Just because of that, I wouldn't buy it. If a dev resorts to shilling, then that instantly puts me off of the app.
yeah, plus they even added more reviews! i was just curious about the overall rating because right now it's at 4.5 stars based on 72 ratings. i wonder how they managed to do that - if the ratings are padded. hmm.. anyway, i'm still thinking about it. thanks for your helpful comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt Reynolds View Post
I dunno, should I buy some new shoes?
hmmm...

how about -- should i say something relevant to the topic or should i try to sound witty? thanks for trying though!

Last edited by enuhski; 12-03-2009 at 05:18 PM.
12-03-2009, 05:15 PM
#7
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,678
Well its easy, they probably just made a lot of iTunes accounts, used the promo codes they got with the game to buy it on those accounts and write reviews.
12-03-2009, 05:17 PM
#8
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek420 View Post
Well its easy, they probably just made a lot of iTunes accounts, used the promo codes they got with the game to buy it on those accounts and write reviews.
well, i just hope they don't land on the app store's featured apps because of padded reviews and ratings. :P thanks again, derek420!
12-03-2009, 05:28 PM
#9
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuhski View Post
hmmm...

how about -- should i say something relevant to the topic or should i try to sound witty? thanks for trying though!
hmmm...

How about... It's $4 and therefore probably not a life-altering decision one way or the other. I'm not sure that starting a thread on the matter was necessary.

Maybe try making a decision like this on your own. I have no doubt that you'll be faced with much tougher ones in life.

Two guys walked into a bar. You think they would've seen it or something.
12-03-2009, 11:58 PM
#10
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuhski View Post
well, i just hope they don't land on the app store's featured apps because of padded reviews and ratings. :P thanks again, derek420!
.Np.